Riding a trike or quad ON the beach

Old August 2nd 09, 03:12 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Barclay

Default Riding a trike or quad ON the beach

I've ridden and raced recumbents for 10 years, currently ride a
Lightning R84.. Now I'm moving to the beach and want to know if
there's some kind of trike or perhaps quad-cycle, 2 seater (pref. side
by side) that can do a good job for riding on the beach. And I mean on
the sand... anything can go down the boardwalk. I see some such things
for rent (though they were uncertain about how well they'd go on the
sand), but I'd like to hear about experiences with brands, models,
tires, etc. if anyone has tried such things. I mean this for social
riding so the performance and weight of the machine really make little
difference, as long as it has low gearing for the occasional sand
dune.

- Barclay
Old August 2nd 09, 03:18 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Jon Bendtsen

Barclay wrote:
I've ridden and raced recumbents for 10 years, currently ride a
Lightning R84.. Now I'm moving to the beach and want to know if
there's some kind of trike or perhaps quad-cycle, 2 seater (pref. side
by side) that can do a good job for riding on the beach. And I mean on
the sand... anything can go down the boardwalk. I see some such things
for rent (though they were uncertain about how well they'd go on the
sand), but I'd like to hear about experiences with brands, models,
tires, etc. if anyone has tried such things. I mean this for social
riding so the performance and weight of the machine really make little
difference, as long as it has low gearing for the occasional sand
dune.

wasnt there a bicycle with a snowbelt? i cant seem to find it right
now, but i expect that such a thing could drive in sand as well.

Other than that, i would suggest getting vry vide tires.
Old August 4th 09, 12:31 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Saurus

Go for the widest tyres you can get. Schwalbe Big Apples are available
in width up to 2,35" but being slicks they are also excellent on
normal roads. Even with low pressure in them they still roll easily
and provide a very, very smooth ride, they act like suspension

Coker riding on the (SoCal) Beach bike path MuniAddict Unicycling 5 August 10th 07 07:37 AM
For Trade 2004 WindCheetah Supersport for Greenspeed, Mountain Quad, or other high end trike / quad Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 0 June 5th 05 01:48 PM
Riding on the beach [email protected] UK 11 February 14th 05 01:25 AM
More Beach Riding nathan Unicycling 8 March 2nd 04 03:13 AM
Beach Riding nathan Unicycling 15 January 6th 04 07:58 AM