Time for a cyclists' jihad against Tim Hortons?

Old August 22nd 05, 05:28 PM
lowkey

Default Time for a cyclists' jihad against Tim Hortons?

I noticed a sign at a nearby Tim Hortons that declared non-motorized
vehicles were not welcome at the drive-through.

I emailed to ask if this was company
policy.

I received the response below from a

Is it time for a boycott? If it were anyone other than Timmy's.....

=====
Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your comments and
feedback. We always appreciate hearing from our loyal customers. I would
like to address your concerns.

Tim Hortons prides itself on being an integral part of the communities
where we operate. Part of our success is due to our store operations, and
the excellent safety records and policies we have in place. This extends to
our drive-thrus. Our policy has always been that only vehicles licensed
under the Ontario Motor Vehicles Act can be served at our drive-thrus. This
policy has nothing to do with discrimination, but safety for our staff and
customers.

For example, we do not allow pedestrians to walk up to the windows, even
where our stores are closed and drive-thrus open 24 hours. Scooters,
wheelchairs, bicycles, ATV's and snowmobiles also are not permitted.
Drivers move very quickly when entering and leaving the drive-thru area,
and the potential for injury is very high. It would not take much for a
horse to get spooked resulting in an injury to the rider, horse, or vehicle
damage. There are also issues surrounding insurance, and our insurance
company's insistence that only licensed vehicles be permitted to go through
the drive-thru.

While such policies may seem absurd in rural areas, it's our standards that
allow Tim Hortons to meet our customer's expectations every day, at any
location across the chain. Since this is a safety issue, I'm sure you can
understand our position.

We thank you for your loyalty to Tim Hortons and truly value your business.
If you have any further questions or comments please do not hesitate to
contact us toll free at 1(888) 601-1616.

Sincerely,
The TDL Group Corp.,

Rebecca B.
Operations Service Representative
=====

Old August 22nd 05, 05:37 PM

Our policy has always been that only vehicles licensed
under the Ontario Motor Vehicles Act can be served at our drive-thrus

Ah. So that means they don't serve tourists??

I'm sure Dunkin has a similar policy, though. If you're going to start
a boycott, make sure that cyclists have an alternate source of their
daily caffeine + fat.

Old August 22nd 05, 05:41 PM
gds

Must say that I couldn't care less. Lots of things to get excied about-
this isn't oneof them.

Old August 22nd 05, 05:43 PM
AT

lowkey wrote in message

I noticed a sign at a nearby Tim Hortons that declared

non-motorized
vehicles were not welcome at the drive-through.

Seems like an odd solution when the problem is ...

Drivers move very quickly when entering and leaving the drive-thru

area,
location across the chain.

Since this is a safety issue, I'm sure you can
understand our position.

Actually I can't.

Old August 22nd 05, 06:19 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"lowkey" writes:

I noticed a sign at a nearby Tim Hortons that declared non-motorized
vehicles were not welcome at the drive-through.

If I went to a TH, I'd prefer to go inside and get the
counter service, anyway -- you can look around and see
what they've got, and who else is there. I guess I'd
rather not queue up with a bunch of cars, any more
than I havta.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old August 22nd 05, 06:31 PM
Bill Sornson

lowkey wrote:
I noticed a sign at a nearby Tim Hortons that declared non-motorized
vehicles were not welcome at the drive-through.

So? If I owned a business I wouldn't want to serve hot coffee (or whatever)
to someone wearing slippery shoes while straddling a skinny contraption with
sharp pointed objects on it, either. Lawsuit City.

Kwitcherwhining...

Old August 22nd 05, 07:10 PM
rdclark

wrote:
Our policy has always been that only vehicles licensed
under the Ontario Motor Vehicles Act can be served at our drive-thrus

Ah. So that means they don't serve tourists??

I'm sure Dunkin has a similar policy, though. If you're going to start
a boycott, make sure that cyclists have an alternate source of their
daily caffeine + fat.

Well, let's see.

First, I think their point about insurance may be well-taken. If it's
true that a vehicle that must be licensed must also be insured, anyway,
or driven by licensed driver with insurance.

Second, Once they handed me a cup of coffee in a cardboard cup, I'm not
sure exactly what I would do with it, on my bike.

Third, When I do buy takeout coffee, I put sweetener in it and pour it
into my thermos. Easier done off the bike.

Fourth, Ain't no Tim Horton's around here. I do remember their coffee
fondly from previous trips to Canada. But generally I go to Starbucks.
I've heard of Starbucks with drive-throughs, but I've never seen one.
(I will, though, when I visit my son in North Carolina in September; he
works at one.)

Fifth, Stopping for food is an excuse to get off the bike. I've never
even been tempted to go through a drive-through.

Sixth, Other than coffee, I can't think of anything sold through a
drive-through that I would want to eat. Which may account for my lack
of temptation.

Seventh, I can't believe I could come up with six points to make on
such a trivial subject. It's bad to be posting on Usenet when you're
bored but can't leave the room.

RichC

Old August 22nd 05, 07:33 PM
Paul Hobson

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"lowkey" writes:

I noticed a sign at a nearby Tim Hortons that declared non-motorized
vehicles were not welcome at the drive-through.

If I went to a TH, I'd prefer to go inside and get the
counter service, anyway -- you can look around and see
what they've got, and who else is there. I guess I'd
rather not queue up with a bunch of cars, any more
than I havta.

cheers,
Tom

Along the same lines, the lifestyle changes I wanted to make which got
me into cycling are also the ones that told me to give up fast food and
the hustle/bustle lifestyle permitted by drive-throughs.

We should all make a little more time in our days and enjoy things a
little bit more...I feel

--
Paul M. Hobson
Georgia Institute of Technology
Old August 22nd 05, 07:51 PM
Ben Pfaff

"lowkey" writes:

I noticed a sign at a nearby Tim Hortons that declared non-motorized
vehicles were not welcome at the drive-through.

Sounds like an excellent reason to buy your food at a different
restaurant.
--
"Let others praise ancient times; I am glad I was born in these."
--Ovid (43 BC-18 AD)
Old August 22nd 05, 09:57 PM

rdclark wrote:

Seventh, I can't believe I could come up with six points to make on
such a trivial subject. It's bad to be posting on Usenet when you're
bored but can't leave the room.

Eighth, I think that if having to dismount and go inside a coffee joint
is your worst problem, you really have a pretty darn good life. Why not
be grateful for it?

Bill

| You can fool some of the people all of the time, |
| and those are the ones you have to focus on. |
| -- George W. Bush |

water bottles,helmets Mark General 191 July 17th 05 04:05 PM
Armstrong Comparison With Mercyx thebooradley Racing 44 May 12th 05 09:10 PM
The word is out: It's over. packfiller Racing 3 October 15th 04 06:22 PM
Saiz On Armstrong B. Lafferty Racing 25 July 4th 04 07:00 PM