freehub and downtube shifters

Old August 13th 03, 09:56 PM
JimBob

Default freehub and downtube shifters

I have a rear wheel that has a Campag screw on hub. The BB on the frame is
Shimano.

I would like to utilise it as a commute/trainer bike and so would like to
just have a single 42T chainring and use a wide range of sprockets at the
back.

Could I use a downtube friction shifter so that there would be no indexing
problems with the Campag/Shimano setup?

Given this, what rear mech would you recommend for, say, a 12-32 setup? MTB
type?

Many thanks in advance!

Old August 14th 03, 01:33 AM
Sheldon Brown

JimBob wrote:

I would like to utilise it as a commute/trainer bike and so would like to
just have a single 42T chainring and use a wide range of sprockets at the
back.

This may not be as reliable as you might expect. Running a rear
derailer with no front derailer, it is not uncommon to have problems
with the chain falling off the chainring.

Could I use a downtube friction shifter so that there would be no indexing
problems with the Campag/Shimano setup?

Friction shifters are generally compatible with anything, if you can
stand downtube shifters, there's no problem.

Given this, what rear mech would you recommend for, say, a 12-32 setup? MTB
type?

You want a wide range rear mech. Current marketing-speak does call wide
range derailers "MTB" type, though they might just as well be called
"touring" deraiers.

I'd suggest a Shimano model with an "SGS" cage. Those will generally
handle up to a 34 tooth sprocket.

Sheldon "Hates Downtube Shifters" Brown
| The longer I live the more I see that I am never |
| wrong about anything, and that all the pains that |
| I have so humbly taken to verify my notions have |
| only wasted my time. -- George Bernard Shaw |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old August 14th 03, 02:44 AM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 21:56:24 +0100, JimBob wrote:

I have a rear wheel that has a Campag screw on hub. The BB on the frame is
Shimano.

I would like to utilise it as a commute/trainer bike and so would like to
just have a single 42T chainring and use a wide range of sprockets at the
back.

Could I use a downtube friction shifter so that there would be no indexing
problems with the Campag/Shimano setup?

The indexing doesn't care that the bottom bracket is Shimano, only the
rear derailleur. Be that as it may, with friction levers you can use any
mix of equipment you want. Also, with a freewheel (your "screw on hub"),
you don't need to use the same brand derailleur as the hub. Some
freewheels exist for Campy 8-s[eed, but most will be set up for Shimano.

Given this, what rear mech would you recommend for, say, a 12-32 setup?
MTB type?

For a 12/32 probably a mountain bike real derailleur would be a good
idea.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | And what if you track down these men and kill them, what if you
_`\(,_ | killed all of us? From every corner of Europe, hundreds,
(_)/ (_) | thousands would rise up to take our places. Even Nazis can't
kill that fast. -- Paul Henreid (Casablanca).

Old August 14th 03, 09:38 AM
Clive George

"Sheldon Brown" wrote in message

This may not be as reliable as you might expect. Running a rear
derailer with no front derailer, it is not uncommon to have problems
with the chain falling off the chainring.

See certain paris incidents :-)

cheers,
clive