Viscount Air Conversion

Old March 21st 04, 04:52 PM
Matt.P.Herbert

Default Viscount Air Conversion

OK, thats it I've had enough of numbing that part of my anatomy so have
decided to an airseat conversion on my viscount seat. I've already
removed the cover and am now looking at the seat wondering how much foam
to remove from it. I understand that its a good idea to leave a good
part of the front and back in place but wasn't sure how far down the
sides I need to cut away. I was wondering what size tube is best as I
have a 16x1.75 which I thought might do. I'd be most grateful for any
hints on this and also if anyone knows of any links with pictures of the
procedure.

--
Matt.P.Herbert - Muni Hungry Newbie
Matt.P.Herbert's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5486

Old March 21st 04, 07:32 PM
gingerfreek

i've done this before but with the help of an upholsterer.

i got a 12.5" tube but it was too small so i would advise a 14" i think
ure tube would be too big.

i got some new material for it as well (denim). i didnt remove any of
the old foam but i don't really know if i should have or not, it seemed
to work ok. i folded the tube in the same way as described for a miyata
conversion (search for something about that). i drilled a hole through
the foam at the back and through the base just in fron of the rear
bumper.

i then got some foam off my mate and cut it into 2 triangles for where
the inertube wasnt( u will understand when u find how it's folded). then
my friend re-upholstered the seat for me with denim.

hope this helps,

iain

--
gingerfreek - unicyclist of mass destruction.

I use my wheel as a weapon!
gingerfreek's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3507

Old March 21st 04, 07:44 PM
Matt.P.Herbert

That sounds like a good idea, not removing the foam, that might be worth
a try as I could always hack out the foam later if it doesn't work..

Matt

Old March 21st 04, 08:14 PM
mango

I did a quick lil search. This thread looked pretty helpful:

http://tinyurl.com/10ja

Good luck!

--
mango - unity - as 1 stand together

"I know I'd be willing to spend up to $20 for a set of strong nipples."
-andrew_carter

(sorry buddy, couldnt resist =)

mango's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3892

Old March 21st 04, 10:58 PM
unicus

I've done a viscount air seat, here's some pics:

http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/album75

I didn't remove the cover or the any foam just added a 16" tube with a
layer of foam on top and made a custom cover.

--
unicus

Every time I try to write my signature the pen slips on the monitor.
unicus's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/869

Old March 22nd 04, 01:18 AM
Rayden

So if you take off the cover and the tube its the normal seat? That's
interesting I was just thinking of that. I'll have to think about how to
make a cover.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Old March 22nd 04, 03:32 AM
Tim

where did you get the handle

--
Tim - better then a newbie.

I got me a new summit for $191!
Tim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4671

Old March 22nd 04, 04:49 AM
elmer

I have a viscount with air-seat conversion and I used a 20" tube folded
to make four "air-tubes" running front to back. I taped it in place
with duct tape, a little tighter in the middle so it wasn't so wide
there, and it has been holding for a year without problems, except the
tape starts to roll at the edges after a while, but that is easily
repaired. If I weren't so lazy I'd make a cover for it for cosmetic
reasons only. I drilled a hole near the front for the valve stem. At
any rate, just duct taping a tube in place can help you figure out what
size is best for you. I like the width of the four front to back tubes
much better than just two, or two stacked for some reason. Someday I'll
get my son to help me figure out how to post pictures. I also have an
inexpensive and light, but very sturdy homemade handle made from
electrical conduit.

--
elmer - uniimpaired

"Oh, really? How many hours does it have in it?" (My 8 yr. old sons
response to my stating that this was the shortest day of the year.)
elmer's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5193

Old March 22nd 04, 08:14 AM
Rayden

Ill have to try that, but put a sock over the seat or something.

--
Rayden
Rayden's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/264

Viscount airseat conversion Cubby Unicycling 14 February 16th 05 09:23 PM
viscount air pillow conversion uni-2-death Unicycling 2 December 17th 03 11:35 PM
*Cheap* Handle options for Viscount Saddles? daino149 Unicycling 1 December 2nd 03 12:13 PM
Seat comparisons Mikefule Unicycling 15 August 25th 03 07:53 AM
Viscount or Semcycle XL? tron Unicycling 0 July 18th 03 02:21 AM