Why buy at LBS?

Old July 23rd 03, 02:24 PM
The Causey Way

Default Why buy at LBS?

Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
missing? It's an honest question.

Old July 23rd 03, 09:20 PM
Karen M.

Causey wrote:
Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
missing? It's an honest question.

Jerseys cost way too much, IMHO. $75 for a shirt with pockets??
With a bunch of advertising all over it???
This is backwards. They should pay me to wear their billboard, not
the other way around.
Besides, most of the designs are ugly and/or not conspicuous. If
I'm forking over anything more than $20 for a cycling top it's going
to be loud enough to be seen a long ways away, TYVM. Dark blue and
cutesy puns and lettering/logos do not fall into this category. Ain't
no gendarmes closing my streets.
HTH

--Karen M.
making some new neon cycling clothes with $2/yd from Wally World
Old July 23rd 03, 09:25 PM
Bill Davidson

The Causey Way wrote:
Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to go
online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
missing? It's an honest question.

I'm with you on this one.

I've never paid more than $25 for a jersey. I just won't do it.
All of my cycling specific clothing is from either Performance
or Nashbar. I see no reason to pay more and I certainly don't
want to be a billboard for some team that isn't paying me.

--Bill Davidson
--
Please remove ".nospam" from my address for email replies.

I'm a 17 year veteran of usenet -- you'd think I'd be over it by now

Old July 23rd 03, 11:03 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Karen M. wrote in message . ..
Besides, most of the designs are ugly and/or not conspicuous. If
I'm forking over anything more than $20 for a cycling top it's going
to be loud enough to be seen a long ways away, TYVM. Dark blue and
cutesy puns and lettering/logos do not fall into this category. Ain't
no gendarmes closing my streets.

How can you look at yourself in the mirror without feeling
ashamed?

I bet I look way better than you, at least I wear team
Fassa Bortolo, Cofidis, Gerolsteiner, Alessio,Sidermec,
Milenaza, CCC-Polsat, Phonak, Landbouwkrediet, Palmans-
Collstrop, Kelme, and Ag2r gear.

Look, don't questions things, just wear the kit and get on
with it.

Long live Nalini.

Don't be a FRED. ( or ride a damn bent )

Old July 23rd 03, 11:14 PM
Bill Davidson

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
How can you look at yourself in the mirror without feeling
ashamed?

How can you? I'd be ashamed to wear team jerseys without getting
paid by the team.

--Bill Davidson

Old July 23rd 03, 11:29 PM
Fabrizio Mazzoleni

Bill Davidson wrote in message ...

How can you? I'd be ashamed to wear team jerseys without getting
paid by the team.

Well, I've never mentioned 'jersey' per sa.

What you must do is wear your own team/club jersey,
then assosorsize(sp?) with pro team gear that goes
well with your own team jersey.

I have several different real team jerseys that have been
issued to me over the years, I add the pro gear
like gloves, socks, caps, helmet, bib shorts, etc
that match well.

For this year's team jersey I have had really great
results with adding team Kelme and team Milenaza.

The other day I was looking so good with my team
Milenaza kit that I had to make a 20km detour just
so I could ride by these super long greenhouses
that are growing seedlings for stupid trees or something.
Anyway, it's awesome, I got a profile view of myself that
lasted for hundreds and hundreds of meters.

The green side panel of Milenaza is perfect for the
green side panel of my team jersey.

I'm sure glad I'm not you.

Old July 24th 03, 12:44 AM
Bill Davidson

Fabrizio Mazzoleni wrote:
I'm sure glad I'm not you.

Not nearly as glad as I am.

--Bill Davidson

Old July 24th 03, 02:28 AM
James Messick

"The Causey Way" death@tospam wrote in message
Ok, I love to support my LBS but when it comes to clothes, I'm forced to

go
online to the discount stores. Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I

can
get two for $50 at Perfomance? I've worn Performance clothes for several
years now with no complaints. So why do people buy name brand? What am I
missing? It's an honest question.

Buy your bike there. Have work done there that you can't do yourself. Buy
anything you must have right away there. Buy anything that you evaluate
there there. Buy everything else as cheaply as you can.

Old July 24th 03, 03:15 AM
Zippy the Pinhead

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in message
.ca...
I bet I look way better than you, at least I wear team
Fassa Bortolo,

Only Fab's says Bassa Fartolo.
Old July 24th 03, 03:00 PM
Robert Oliver

Why should I pay $80+ for a jersey when I can
get two for $50 at Perfomance?

Who said you had to?

So why do people buy name brand?

Because they want to.

What am I missing? It's an honest question.

Apparently nothing. It's all about choice. Do what you want, and don't worry
about other people