pudendal nerve problems

Old July 26th 03, 01:32 PM
James Hodson

Default pudendal nerve problems

On 25 Jul 2003 13:01:40 -0700, (Art) wrote:

No jokes from me, I've been there and it ain't funny. In my case, it
wasn't the fit of the bike, rather it was the stock seat that came
with the bike. The money spent on a new Selle Italia Prolink Gel Flow
was worth every penny. Of course, this may not be the seat for you,
or even the remedy for your problem. I'd advise seeing a urologist if
the numbness lasts longer than a couple of days.

Hi Art

My cheap road bike came with a saddle that was too soft, as I found
out after a prolonged trundle. This softness allowed my bony bits to
sink through the padding and I ended up sitting on the saddle's shell.
The staff at my LBS were a little shocked when I asked for the seat to
be replaced with a harder model. Apparently most in my position (no
pun intended) automatically assume that a softer seat will solve their
problems. Not so, IMO.

My goes to look at bike San Marco Rolls was relatively cheap (about
£35.00/$48(approx)) and is extremely comfortable. I'm a bit of a
fiddler regarding saddle position. After a lot of fiddling -
backwards/forwards, up/down, tilt both ways - I found a perfect riding
position.

I'd spent several years riding rigid ATBs before I bought my road bike
and the more stretched out position did cause a few problems for a
while. However, I resited the temptation to buy a shorter stem - thank
goodness. I now find riding the road bike as comfortable as the more
upright ATB. Incidentally, following a skiing accident, I've suffered
from quite painful back trouble. The road bike's stretched out
position (I need a thesaurus) has gone some way to lessening this pain
and reducing the frequency of my lower going into spasm.

From what you say above, Art, I think your own problem has been sorted
out. I hope so.

Regards
James

--
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Larrau.jpg
Old July 28th 03, 08:28 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 23:12:52 -0400, David L. Johnson
wrote:
General padded saddles and those with cutouts are different animals. The
cutout allows you to ride a softer saddle without the padding affecting
the pudental nerve. For me, it works (Terry Fly). For me, Brooks (Pro)
was pure hell.

Doesn't the cutout and padding combination result in
squeezing your soft tissues into that little hole in
the saddle? I've always feared that...If I hate having
my soft tissues on a padded saddle, I'd really hate
having them squeezed into a 1cm x 5cm hole in the
saddle...

--
Rick Onanian
Old July 29th 03, 03:58 AM
David L. Johnson

wrote:
General padded saddles and those with cutouts are different animals.
The cutout allows you to ride a softer saddle without the padding
affecting the pudental nerve. For me, it works (Terry Fly). For me,
Brooks (Pro) was pure hell.

Doesn't the cutout and padding combination result in squeezing your soft
tissues into that little hole in the saddle?

Not for me. The padding stays near the sit bones, and the middle bits are
floating free.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It doesn't get any easier, you just go faster. --Greg LeMond
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 29th 03, 05:31 AM

Check out this article on bicycle seat neuropathy:
http://www.emedicine.com/sports/topic12.htm
--Tock

Oh yeah, I've seen variations of this seat
http://www.spongywonder.com
in mags like Unpopular Mechanics . . . there was some guy in Alpine, Texas
(150 miles east of El Paso) advertising in the local paper out there a year
ago or so looking for financial backing for yet another version--said he had
a patent and everything.
Anyway, good luck with your pains . . .
--Tock

Old July 29th 03, 08:41 PM
Karen M.

James wrote:
... I'd spent several years riding rigid ATBs before I bought my road bike
and the more stretched out position did cause a few problems for a
while. However, I resited the temptation to buy a shorter stem - thank
goodness. I now find riding the road bike as comfortable as the more
upright ATB. Incidentally, following a skiing accident, I've suffered
from quite painful back trouble. The road bike's stretched out
position (I need a thesaurus) has gone some way to lessening this pain
and reducing the frequency of my lower going into spasm.

all-encompassing, all-inclusive, big, blanket, boundless, broad,
capacious, commodious, comprehensive, comprising, considerable,
expanded, extended, far-flung, general, great, hefty, huge, inclusive,
indiscriminate, large, large-scale, lengthy, long, major, pervasive,
prevalent, protracted, roomy, scopic, scopious, sizable, spacious,
sweeping, thorough, unexclusive, universal, unrestricted, vast,
voluminous, wholesale, wide, wide-ranging, widespread

collapsed, complanate, decumbent, deflated, depressed, empty, even,
extended, fallen, flush, horizontal, laid low, leveled, low, oblate,
outstretched, pancake, planar, planate, plane, procumbent, prone,
prostrate, punctured, reclining, recumbent, smooth, splay, spread out,
supine, tabular, unbroken

I like "outstretched." Hyper! TdF Announcers! referred to this as a
great riding position.

HTH
--Karen M.