Unbridled Hostility

Old July 28th 03, 07:20 AM
Hunrobe

Default Unbridled Hostility

Kevan Smith /\/\

wrote in part:

Do they have one for donuts,
too? I think I can sweep all your club trophies.

Think again, pal. I'm close enough to Mike K's area that I could be your
competition and only a fool would bet against a cop in a donut eating contest.
I've been training diligently for 20 years. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt
Old July 28th 03, 05:37 PM
Larry Schuldt

On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 11:59:30 -0700, Zoot Katz
wrote:

One tofu veggie dog is sufficient for me, thanks.

That would be more than enough for me.

larry
--
To reply by e-mail, be polite. Rudeness will get you nowhere.
Old July 28th 03, 08:13 PM
Dave Jackson

In article ,
(Claire Petersky) wrote:

Pray for me, friends, pray for me.

You got it Claire!

Dave in Minnesota
Old July 29th 03, 03:04 AM
Claire Petersky

I'm hanging this off of Tom's post, but it's sort of a longish reply
to a number of them...

(Steve McDonald) wrote in message ...
The resistance of the mansion-dwellers to bikes near their homes
is due to simple, primitive thinking. They feel that if people on lowly,
cheap vehicles can pass nearby, then their most substantial display of
conspicuous consumption will be degraded.

Actually, generally speaking, you can't see these people's houses. The
steep slope and number of trees between the road and the where the
houses sit on the lake or up on the hill means that they are hidden.

Don't bother confronting or trying to reason with them, but find
ways to ignore or bypass them.

The real audience is the City Council. But if the City Council does
not want discord when the recommendation is presented to them – that
would be unseemly. They want all the yelling to happen before that
time. If we can't compromise, nothing will be done. The road will
continue to deteriorate; unsafe conditions will only worsen for
everyone.

etent (Trudi Marrapodi) wrote in message ...
I think what Claire has run into is your typical people who think, now
that they're wealthy (or maybe because they've always been wealthy), they
can throw money at anything they personally don't like, for whatever
reason, and make it go away.

Sounds like the spoiled brats need to learn a lesson.

Which is why, when we won in Redmond, the mayor of the City of
Woodinville wrote a letter in congratulations to the Redmond City
Council, for standing up to the wealthy lakeside homeowners. I'm don't
know if our council has similar balls.

When I asked a parkway resident what alternative the cars should take,
rather than the parkway, the answer was 164th Avenue, ie, mostly a
neighborhood of these little 1950s starter home ramblers that probably
have the lowest housing values in our city. I was sorely tempted to
ask why people who live right on a road (rather than having major
set-backs with a big curtain of trees) should have all the cars
whizzing by, but again, this was my time to listen, not argue.

Patrick Lamb wrote in message ...

Just out of curiosity, has anyone surveyed the area for the density of
Asperger's Syndrome-afflicted residents? It sounds to me as though this
should be a support group, instead of a city-sponsored barbecue. (If AS
support group isn't already an oxymoron!)

Y'know, I have some AS members of my immediate and extended family,
and I'd much rather deal with Aspies than deal with this crowd. My
experience with Aspies is that they have no hidden agenda – what you
see is what you get – and ones I know are terribly concerned with
fairness. I could work with Aspies.

(I should guess that there's probably a high proportion of residents, if
it is a MS suburb, that's getting to middle age and finding it difficult
to keep up with the endless 20-hour work days, enormous pressure, and
unrealistic deadlines. And if they've been there long enough to buy the
multi-million houses with the proceeds of stock options, they probably
don't know or don't remember that sane work places exist. Or that it's
possible to work AND have a life...)

I will just note that I believe that people who live along the lake
are generally not Microsofties, nor do Microsofties live along the
lake. Rather, it is the Microsoft employees who are targeted here as
the Evil Ones who speed along the parkway, desperate to make it into
the enslavement camp in a timely fashion.

In fact, you'd find a number of current and former MS employees among
the cyclists who will be fighting for these facilities, as the parkway
is a major bike-commuting route. Thinking of the Redmond effort, I'm
now realizing that nearly all of the people who fought for the bicycle
and pedestrian improvements were either existing or former MS
employees, or married to one, or both.

Rather, the people who I met at the barbecue were older (50s and 60s)
boating types. If I were to guess their PRIZM demographic group, I'd
say Pools and Patios
(http://houseandhome.msn.com/pickaplace/demographicdetail.aspx?id=4&NHName=Bellevue+(98008 )&Zip=98008&County=King&State=WA&sRegion=p%3a7600& src=nf
or if you prefer:
http://tinyurl.com/cf3c)

(Chalo) wrote in message . com...

The Eastside is lost, Claire. There really isn't anything there worth
trying to improve. That area suffers the characteristic blight of
many suburbs; it's an anti-community of people who chose their place
of residence based on what they were trying to avoid, rather than on
an environment they wanted to be a part of. It's a living testament
to how fear, greed, arrogance and hate are antithetical to right
action.

Move into town; you'll recognize a lot more rational human beings
around you.

Someone from a bicycling organization deigned to come to the Eastside
(first time that's happened that I've noticed) and attended the
barbecue. Someone else from the bike-ped advisory group and I talked
with him for a bit, and rather than him having anything constructive
to say, he spent 90% of his air time with us putting down the
Eastside.

Chalo, I know you meant only the best when you wrote unpleasant things
about where I grew up and where I've lived about three-quarters of my
life, because you invited me to leave it and go to some place that you
consider to be more enlightened. However, believe it or not, I like my
house and my little neighborhood, and unlike your stereotypes, not all
people around me are full of all the nasty attributes you listed. You
may not believe that there is anything to improve – maybe I should
leave it as that I beg to differ.

(Tom Keats) speculated in message

I wonder if there are any Native land claims on this area.

Archeology shows that natives lived along the lake as early as 6,000
years ago, with a major settlement at the Redmond end of the lake
around 1000 BCE. In the 1850s, the Sammamish clan of the Duwamish
tribe numbered about one hundred. The usual hostilities ensued between
white settlers and the natives, and they were eventually either killed
or disbursed. The remnants of this band currently live with the
Tulalips near Everett.

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky )
Home of the meditative cyclist:
Singing with you at: http://www.tiferet.net/
Books just wanna be FREE! See what I mean at:
http://bookcrossing.com/friend/Cpetersky
Old July 29th 03, 07:05 AM

Claire Petersky wrote:

One of the things that was very helpful was having *local* residents
speak on the behalf of the project. As a Bellevue resident, I mostly
kept my mouth shut publicly, and having a Seattle person speak would
have been at best neutral.

I doubt it would matter who spoke out. These people are all part of
the religion of "No Change". They are comfortable in their niche, and
they don't care about anything else. Anything that changes their
environment is greeted not with a rational balancing of relative good
and bad aspects, but rationalization. i.e. I don't like it, so here's
a list of reasons to justify why I don't like it.

I know I would like to see the project go through, because I do use the
road everyday. I travel on the side of the road that is decently
traffic friendly (even if the pavement does needs work). But I
do hate to see the bike commuters coming the other way (riding against
traffic). Ick.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Nothing says 'This is serious' like a corpse on the floor."
Old July 29th 03, 08:34 PM
Karen M.

Claire wrote:
... One of the things that was very helpful was having *local* residents
speak on the behalf of the project. As a Bellevue resident, I mostly
kept my mouth shut publicly, and having a Seattle person speak would
have been at best neutral.

One thing that will help is that out of my forty-ahem years of life,
all but ten of them have been spent as a Bellevue resident. You know
about the popsicle index? It's a measure of the quality of life for a
community, and it works like this: it's the percentage of people who
would feel comfortable sending their kid to the local convenience
store to buy a popsicle. When I was a kid, my best friend lived on the
lake (when normal people could afford to live on the lake), and we'd
walk from her house to the Little Store to buy popsicles. I can tell
that story, and ask, what's the popsicle index for that road today?
Outside agitators, especially spandex clad and from Seattle, are
highly, highly suspicious. If you say you are a local resident, when
you come in with your kids, when you talk about safety for your
children, not just yourself -- these are winners.

What would be great would be to find a lakeside resident willing to
speak on the behalf of the project, but peer pressure is very great.
On the Redmond project we had lakeside residents tell us privately
that they supported the City's improvements, but didn't dare say
anything because they have to live next door to all these people for
the rest of their lives, and don't want to stick their necks out....

How about contacting the local school and finding someone in the
PTO who's an advocate for the Safe Routes to School thing? Although
the Pool & Patio types are pretty much out of the kid business,
there's gotta be some older dad with a young wife who is So Concerned
About Our Children.
Last fall I attended a SRTS seminar (co-sponsored by state DOT) and
met with a Mother type who lives in a 'hood with a golf course and no
sidewalks. Their fear is that the 19th-holers will hit children trying
to walk anywhere, so it's "soccer moms, start your engines!" They
wanted more concrete to make themselves feel safe. I turned her on to
the idea of a walk/bike to school day, and hallelulah! She became the
local contact for this effort! (I also suggested increased enforcement
around closing time, traffic calming, neighborhood watch to get the
kids to & from safely, and other non-engineering endeavors.)
You could also sneak in some info on property values from other
locales where rail-trails are being implemented. Not quite the same
thing, but even those who typically voiced the loudest opposition
(about vagrants riding out from the rail yards and dumping trash,
stealing their stuff, and urinating) change their tune when the trail
turns out to be a realtor feature.
Maybe the car repair angle? Those busted-up roads have to be
affecting the suspension in the Beemer. Traffic safety? Swerving
around potholes might smash into someone's land yacht or landscaping.
Fire truck thing: sounds like an earthquake-sort of land use to me.
Can they get insurance? Are they on city water (with hydrants)? They
can always make their lucious approach drives into switchbacks and
landscape the heck out of them. Maybe they need private fire service
on a higher elevation.
As for private gated road: not if they want maintenance and police
protection and mail delivery.
HTH. What a potential headache.
--Karen M.