More AM-B Epic ID

Old July 16th 03, 11:38 AM
Xtc

Default More AM-B Epic ID

Great pics Gman! On a SS rigid. Excellent. Thx for sharing the ride.
Xtc

Old July 16th 03, 08:51 PM
Paladin

Gman wrote in message ...
THE PIX:
http://www.pbase.com/gmanpbase/ambepic

THE STORY:
Well, it took me a while to get my sh_t in order,
but here's my perspective. I'll try and keep it
short 'cause I know I'm usually boring.

Not on a bike you're not. Unless you mean the fact that you leave us
standing around saying, where'd he go?

What a weekend! JD, Craig and I started out on
Friday night with a little SS teaser up into
Ponderosa Park along a peninsula on Lake Payette.
This short, but awesome piece of singletrack
culminates on a cliff overlooking Payette, simply
spectacular (see pix).

We spun it home, had some chow, and JD and I
accompanied group #2, including the (in)famous
Paladin up the same ride.

Nothing like a stout little ride with a gutful of spaghetti &
brownies. Sure wish I coulda seen you monkeys clean those
"challenging" switchbacks on your Singlespeeds. It was that single
ride that convinced me to NOT take my SS on the big epic.

Saturday morning arrived and I had full intentions
of riding my geared bike, but after some
harassment by certain tallish individuals, I was
representin' on the rigid SS once again.

Good to have you two over-sized galoots taking the lead. Of course
you & the Freak had it easy, what with not having to concern
yourselves with chainrings, gearing, do I shift now or later, you
could just shut the hell up and ride!

And what
a great call that was. The Ruby Meadows to Loon
Lake to Chinook Campground is an SS dream. 15
miles of up-n-down, twisty singletrack and fun little
technical rock/root challenges.

Clydesdale was begging for some singletrack pictures. To my
knowledge, the only double track we rode was the first 3 or 4 miles
over to Willowbasket. I've got a picture from Alex that shows Joel
coming into the big burn site/rest area, just before you rolled in
with Gab after your flat. Those technical climbs in the white sandy
rocks up-n-over to our first rest stop were rockin tacos!

It was a complete
HOOT, and all 14 of us properly enjoyed it.
(despite the fact that we _started_ the ride at
noon when the temps were around 90...DOH!)

If the finish had been another 3 miles or so, we'da had some folks
approaching serious dehydration. Next time we'll do a regular
rotation on sweeper. Thanks to Gab and Joel for relieving me now and
then.

Sunday Brundage Ski Resort bombing had me reaching
for my FS, and not being too sad about catching a
lift uphill either. Brundage was fun, but I was a
tad disappointed that they did not have any big
rollers to launch off with all that speed
...trying to keep the liability insurance down I
guess.

There's no accounting for your insanity. Drink a six of mtn dew and
huck off your roof, you maniac.

The weekend camaraderie was absolutely fantastic
and it was great to meet and ride with some of you
folks. I am already looking forward to next year.

Friday's swimming/cliff jumping & Post-Ride dips in the lake were
awesome.

Props to CDB and others for all of the hard work!

Gracias, but the *setting* did it all. At PaladinAdventureTours.com,
we kick back to achieve the highest levels of mediocrity!

Paladin
Gman out

Old July 16th 03, 09:28 PM
Penny S.

Paladin scribbled :
And what
a great call that was. The Ruby Meadows to Loon
Lake to Chinook Campground is an SS dream. 15
miles of up-n-down, twisty singletrack and fun little
technical rock/root challenges.

Clydesdale was begging for some singletrack pictures.

He must be blind.

To my
knowledge, the only double track we rode was the first 3 or 4 miles
over to Willowbasket.

wasn't even double track; it was a widish ATV track.

I've got a picture from Alex that shows Joel
coming into the big burn site/rest area, just before you rolled in
with Gab after your flat. Those technical climbs in the white sandy
rocks up-n-over to our first rest stop were rockin tacos!

and how come we haven't seen that photo yet?

If the finish had been another 3 miles or so, we'da had some folks
approaching serious dehydration. Next time we'll do a regular
rotation on sweeper. Thanks to Gab and Joel for relieving me now and
then.

Next time we will pack the water filter. Craig's still waiting to see if
the stuff he drank out of the Secesh on his solo makes him ill or not...

Friday's swimming/cliff jumping & Post-Ride dips in the lake were
awesome.

I am really sorry we missed that part, but work called...

Penny