Coker vs. Collarbone

Old March 21st 04, 01:03 AM
Frank A.

Default Coker vs. Collarbone

The Coker won

I was Cokering off-road this morning. I had this idea to have a mellow
ride, take the Hunter36 to the park, stay on the novice trails and just
enjoy...NOT!
I can never just cruise, I always end up working it pretty hard. I was
probably going about 8 or 9 mph on some rocky stuff, under the trees and
bam! I've never gone down so quickly in my life. I mean, no warning
whatsover.
I landed full weight on my right shoulder, them my helmeted head
smacked the trail. I knew right away it was bad.
I got up and walked a bit, to gather my wits, picked up the cycle and
started walking back towards the car. I knew my day was done. I guess I
was a little less than a mile from the car. By the time I got there I
was in a fair amount of pain. I flagged down a biker and he was very
helpful, he helped me load up. I finally felt my collarbone and I could
feel it sticking up below the skin, a clean break.

I got behind the wheel and began driving towards the exit and started
to feel a bit lightheaded. I decided that it was a far better idea to
stop at the Park office. I had them call the paramedics. They got me up
in the ambulance and took me to the nearest emergency room.
There they confirmed my self-diagnosis. They hit me with an
anti-inflammatory shot in the butt, gave me a Percocet, fitted me with a
sling and took a CT Scan of my brain to be safe because I was feeling
pretty lightheaded. That came out negative.
I can't stress enough how glad I was to have had my helmet on. As I
stated earlier, I had planned on a mellow ride, I did not wear my usual
shin/knee, elbow and wrist gaurds. I most definately would've been way
more messed up than this, my head really hit hard.
So I've got a bunch of pills I've got to take, a long recovery and no
riding for a while

--
Frank A. - off-road

"Man's maturity: to have regained the seriousness that he had as a child
at play." - FRIEDRICH NIETZSCHE, Beyond Good and Evil

Frank A.'s Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1710

Old March 21st 04, 01:36 AM
Krashin'Kenny

Ouch, Frank!!!!!!!!
That really SUCKS
May I be the first to wish you a speedy recovery

--
Krashin'Kenny - Crash Tested

If you ain't crashing, you ain't going fast enough!!!!!!!!!!!

Krashin'Kenny's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3420

Old March 21st 04, 01:39 AM
bugman

Sorry to hear that. Collar bone is one of the most vulnerable places on
the body. One wack and your down for the count.

I hope you heal quickly, because being injured with the weather like
this would really suck.

Frank A. wrote:
* took a CT Scan of my brain to be safe because I was feeling pretty
lightheaded. That came out negative.
*

Must be some good drugs. They scanned your brain and it came up
negative? They couldn't find it? Did you happen to tell anyone at the
hospital how it happened? They may not have even read the scan, they
just assumed anyone who would take a 36" unicycle offroad with very
little protective gear... well Not that it would have made any
difference in this case.

--
bugman - Professional Assasin

forget_your_life wrote:
*dude i like your video's and think that your most likely a cool guy
in person but why do you have to be such a jack-ass online? *

Old March 21st 04, 01:58 AM
gerblefranklin

That sucks!!!!

I wish you a quick an speedy recovery.

As for the helmet, a good thing indeed. I always wear a helmet, and it
saved me a concussion, bruise, and large, deep gash at the first day of
the cal muni weekend. I was hopping, and I fell and hit the low back of
my head on a rock outcropping. I got lucky.

--
gerblefranklin - Trials Unicyclist

Don't you think it's a cruel irony that acting like a G.I. Joe in the
army can get you a Medal, while playing with one can get you thrown out?

Old March 21st 04, 02:11 AM
chirokid

Sorry to hear of your injury Frank. That is such a bummer. I pray you
heal extra fast. --chirokid--

--
chirokid - Bug Killing Unicyclist

"Other than that, the best maintenance is to keep riding it as this
helps to keep the eccentric nut on the saddle in optimal condition."
quote by Mikefule

chirokid's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4140

Old March 21st 04, 02:28 AM
zod

Major bummer Frank.....I guess we won't get to go on an urban ride
together when I'm down in Florida in April. We'll do it next year, rest
up!

--
zod - Icey Hot Stunta(z)
zod's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3631

Old March 21st 04, 03:11 AM
Sofa

Good luck with your recovery, Frank.

PS, if you chew those Percs, you bipass the time-release meds, and get
the whole thing at once!

(and it doesn't feel too bad at all!)

--
Sofa - You Tu Tu Tuni?

'It really doesn't matter, because in a few years, you will have every
size made' - chirokid's response to 20" or 24"?

'I'm sorry if I offended anyone but I don't apologize' - paco

'Unicycle Product Reviews'
(http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/unicycleReviews.aspx) *88* reviews on
*60* products

'London Unicycling Club Website ' (http://www.brianmackenzie.com/LUC/)
version 3.02

Sofa's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/706

Old March 21st 04, 03:44 AM
tomblackwood

Sofa wrote:
*PS, if you chew those Percs, you bipass the time-release meds, and
get the whole thing at once!*

Chewing, ugh... You've got enough to deal with. This nurse says powder
'em up and mix with applesauce or yogurt.

Frank, super sorry to hear about your crash, but glad you were wearing
your helmet. I hope the collarbone heals fast and you're back in the
saddle soon.

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old March 21st 04, 03:50 AM
forget_your_life

i hate that,i nice easy ride that turns into a disaster.it could happen
on any uni but i always felt Cokers were extremly unsafe at any
speed.its a long way down.part of the reason i sold my Coker was because
of that unsafe hight.

i mostly thought injury would not be because of an endo but from
somthing like Christofer Reeves...i was riding a Coker 2 years ago down
town talking to a friend on his byke when i relized that my head just
went under a "dont walk" sign,clearing it by millimeters! it would have
knocked me out like a light if i had not been slightly leaning over
while talking.

hope you recover soon,ive broke my collar bone before.i wasnt able to
raize my arm for a month.you seem to be typing fine,thats a plus.

--
forget_your_life - a.k.a. jagur

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...nyjumping.gif]
dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/vr86)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

Old March 21st 04, 06:05 AM
AccordNSX

Sorry to hear the news Frank. You'll be better in a week so we can go
riding, right? Have a speedy recovery nontheless. If you're still headed
down this way to Sarasota we need to hook up so I can give the Schwinn
back to you. Maybe you can check out my new two wheels? Regardless we'll
have a few beers on John's dime. Drop me a PM.

--
AccordNSX - Adam Coast Choppers

If I had a signature, would you forge it?
AccordNSX's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/541