"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

Old May 3rd 12, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn[_9_]

Default "You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

This is why Numb Nuts keeps changing the subject. He can't handle the
truth.

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

-- Jack Nicolson, A few Good Men, 1992.

Excellent movie by the way.

Old May 4th 12, 08:01 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nige Danton[_2_]

Squashme wrote:

Major Clipton: "Madness! Madness!"

Bridge on the river Kwai.

How about "looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at breakfast"?
--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old May 4th 12, 03:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr Benn[_5_]

"Paul - xxx" wrote in message
Mr. Benn wrote:

This is why Numb Nuts keeps changing the subject. He can't handle
the truth.

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

-- Jack Nicolson, A few Good Men, 1992.

Excellent movie by the way.

How can you use fiction, a screen writers script, as 'truth'? and
expect it to be credible?

It was the quote Paul, the quote.

Have you seen A Few Good Men? Jack Nicolson's performance in it was
outstanding. A cinema classic.

Old May 4th 12, 04:25 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/05/2012 14:27, Paul - xxx wrote:
Mr. Benn wrote:

This is why Numb Nuts keeps changing the subject. He can't handle
the truth.

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

-- Jack Nicolson, A few Good Men, 1992.

Excellent movie by the way.

How can you use fiction, a screen writers script, as 'truth'? and
expect it to be credible?

Try Shakespea all of it is a stage writer's script (except for the Sonnets
and an epic poem or two), yet his work is used to make, and accepted as
making, millions of points on all sorts of human topics all the time.
Old May 4th 12, 05:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave - Cyclists VOR

Mr. Benn wrote:

This is why Numb Nuts keeps changing the subject. He can't handle
the truth.

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

-- Jack Nicolson, A few Good Men, 1992.

Excellent movie by the way.

How can you use fiction, a screen writers script, as 'truth'? and
expect it to be credible?

Try Shakespea all of it is a stage writer's script (except for the
Sonnets and an epic poem or two), yet his work is used to make, and
accepted as making, millions of points on all sorts of human topics all
the time.

Not to mention the hundreds of phrases coined by him which are still in
daily use.

It's a foregone conclusion that cyclists live in a fool's paradise.

Good job I'm exceedingly well read.

University
Old May 4th 12, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

Mr. Benn wrote:

This is why Numb Nuts keeps changing the subject. He can't handle
the truth.

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

-- Jack Nicolson, A few Good Men, 1992.

Excellent movie by the way.

How can you use fiction, a screen writers script, as 'truth'? and
expect it to be credible?

Try Shakespea all of it is a stage writer's script (except for the
Sonnets and an epic poem or two), yet his work is used to make, and
accepted as making, millions of points on all sorts of human topics all
the time.

Not to mention the hundreds of phrases coined by him which are still in
daily use.

It's a foregone conclusion that cyclists live in a fool's paradise.

Good job I'm exceedingly well read.

So you'll remember this gem from Shakespea-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXznmGz2fy4

and who can forget this wise advice from the Bard:-
"Where'er you be, let the wind go free; for keeping it in was the
death of me."

Old May 4th 12, 07:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 04/05/2012 19:06, Squashme wrote:

Mr. Benn wrote:

This is why Numb Nuts keeps changing the subject. He can't handle
the truth.

"You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!"

-- Jack Nicolson, A few Good Men, 1992.

Excellent movie by the way.

How can you use fiction, a screen writers script, as 'truth'? and
expect it to be credible?

Try Shakespea all of it is a stage writer's script (except for the
Sonnets and an epic poem or two), yet his work is used to make, and
accepted as making, millions of points on all sorts of human topics all
the time.

Not to mention the hundreds of phrases coined by him which are still in
daily use.

It's a foregone conclusion that cyclists live in a fool's paradise.

Good job I'm exceedingly well read.

So you'll remember this gem from Shakespea-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXznmGz2fy4

"Does exactly what it says on the tin".

Don Draper would have been proud of it, but it's British frew and frew.

and who can forget this wise advice from the Bard:-
"Where'er you be, let the wind go free; for keeping it in was the
death of me."

Ah yes... from The Tempest. Or perhaps from Coriolanus.

Old May 5th 12, 12:36 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On May 4, 8:01*am, Nige Danton wrote:
Squashme wrote:
Major Clipton: "Madness! Madness!"

Bridge on the river Kwai.

How about "looks bad in the newspapers and upsets civilians at breakfast"?
--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l

Took me a while.
"Pte. Thomas Cole: Why is it us? Why us?
Colour Sergeant Bourne: Because we're here, lad. Nobody else. Just
us."

"I have seen Calcutta. I have eaten camel dung. My knees are brown, my
navel is central, my conscience is clear, and my will is with my
solicitors, Short and Curly."
Old May 6th 12, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nige Danton[_2_]

Squashme wrote:

"I have seen Calcutta. I have eaten camel dung. My knees are brown, my
navel is central, my conscience is clear, and my will is with my
solicitors, Short and Curly."

You got me with that one. I had to search for it and then checked out the
review on IMDb. So I'm now pleased to report that I have a copy on its way.
Thanks for the pointer! One I've watched recently is "Dust" A well made and
clever movie imho.
--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l
Old May 7th 12, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Squashme

On May 6, 4:15*pm, Nige Danton wrote:
Squashme wrote:
"I have seen Calcutta. I have eaten camel dung. My knees are brown, my
navel is central, my conscience is clear, and my will is with my
solicitors, Short and Curly."

You got me with that one. I had to search for it and then checked out the
review on IMDb. So I'm now pleased to report that I have a copy on its way.
Thanks for the pointer! One I've watched recently is "Dust" A well made and
clever movie imho.
--
Nige Danton - Replace the obvious with g.m.a.i.l

Ta for that. I'll try it out.

If you need another end of empire type film, there's "Battle of
Algiers", of course. That too has a great performance by an actor
apparently not known for playing military types. Jean Martin plays
Colonel Mathieu, who is trying to put down the freedom fighters.
Earlier he had played Lucky in the first French stage production of
"Waiting for Godot."

Compare and contrast:-
http://www.thenation.com/sites/defau...4470-large.jpg

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/...lay-Pa-001.jpg