New bike for Jay

Old July 31st 17, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default New bike for Jay

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 2:10:10 PM UTC-7, David Scheidt
wrote:
Joy Beeson wrote: :On Thu, 27
Jul 2017 09:39:03 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

: Just two water bottles that I filled every 50 miles.

:When I could ride that far, a bottle would last about ten
miles.

Jay's a camel.

Not like Jobst. I fill up big bottles. I just don't take more
than two -- except on rare occasion. When selecting a bike, I
don't go into the store and ask for an '80s Euro-sport bike with
a rack so I can haul gallons of water on a day ride.

Joerg has peculiar needs. I'm fine with a couple of bottle
bosses and 160mm brake rotors on a gravel bike. If I were riding
trails in the middle of nowhere, I might consider a camel back or
some other option, but I'm not. I'm never that far from water on
a day ride.

http://www.performancebike.com/webap...HydrationGuide

Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the
bike".

Most of my rides are 4-5h and I am a tall guy who is more at the
upper end of the water requirement scale. So there.

Yes, this also applies to Oregonians since they have a store in
Portland :-)

There used to be three Performance stores in Portand, but they closed
the one downtown -- the only one close to my work or home.

So, reading that prescription, do I have to carry eight bottles for a
four hour ride?

Certainly so in hot weather. If you carry much less and have no re-fill
options you could be causing damage to your body.

... Wow, I better start buying cages and hose clamps. Or
I could just stop every hour and fill up my bottles -- assuming I
needed all that fluid. Hmmmmmm.

I need that much fluid when it's around 100F out there like right now.
Yesterday's ride was only 20mi in hilly terrain and I consumed about
70oz of water plys 16oz of electrolyte.

Ok, plus two pints at a brewpub :-)

I did a 30 mile loop this afternoon -- nothing terrible because I'm
expecting to get throttled by some friends tomorrow. Temperature was
low-mid 80s -- blue skies, low wind. A gorgeous day. I went through
one 21oz bottle, and there is still some water sloshing around in the
bottle.

Unless you rode really slowly that wasn't healthy even without much sun.

... A lot of the riding was under trees, so I wasn't taking a lot
of direct sun. If I were in the bright sun, I'd drink more. And I'd
have a better tan.

It's hardly ever as low as 80F on my summer rides. Mostly because due to
work I can't head out before 11:30am or so.

On routes into the valley I can re-fill at schools, playgrounds, sport
fields and such. So my road bike only has the two panniers which is good
because it allows me to haul a box full of stuff or a package. Very
different on the MTB and thus it now has the same two panniers plus a
top trunk which can hold more than a 1/2 gallon extra. Similar to what
longhaul dirt bike riders have, just smaller. It is tempting to drink
from the American River and similar bodies of water but that can result
in not getting off the pot for days.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old July 31st 17, 06:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

J, with the new expedition approach consider a Steripen with a micro filter for moose eggs
Old July 31st 17, 07:00 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-29 18:33, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 29 Jul 2017 07:34:09 -0700, Joerg
wrote:

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

Your equation doesn't mention OAT which is critical to the body's
water usage. If one were riding in the Mojave desert on the 4th of
July your liquid requirement wouldn't be sufficient and if in Nome on
Christmas day it would be overkill.

It's not my equation, it is recommended by sports medicine guys and they
know a thing or two about dehydration. I assume they calculated for
heavy riding where you pump out close to as much as your body will give
at the current weather conditions. Note they say "per hour", not "per xx
miles".

For example, in summer I need almost 1/2h longer for one of my 4h MTB
loops because else I just start panting too much. In winter I ride
faster and that makes me pant and sweat just as much, and consequently,
drink just as much water. I'f I'd ride at the same slower speed in
winter I'd need much less water and sometimes I do that. For example,
when I just want to get out there to sit and think about a difficult
engineering task. Then I also take less in fluids along.

Old July 31st 17, 07:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-31 10:58, wrote:
J, with the new expedition approach consider a Steripen with a micro filter for moose eggs

I prefer the liquid version.

http://bigskybrew.com/beers/moose-drool/

Old July 31st 17, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 10:34:00 AM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

That's NUTS! They're teling you that you have to drink an 8 ounces cup (250 ml) of liquid every FIFTEEN minutes! That's if you use the smaller 16 0unces capacity NOT the 24 ounces sizes. 2 x 16 = 32 ounces divided by 8 = 4 and 1 hour devided by 4 is 15 minutes. If you use two 24 ounces bottles you have 48 ounces divided by 4 = 12 ounces evey fifteen minutes which is 1.5 cups per quarter hour.

Gads at that rate for a 4 hour + ride you'd dang near need a trailer just for your liquids!

Cheers
Old July 31st 17, 07:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:00:33 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote:
Snipped
Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water, plus one
extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour on the bike".

Snipped
It's not my equation, it is recommended by sports medicine guys and they
know a thing or two about dehydration. I assume they calculated for
heavy riding where you pump out close to as much as your body will give
at the current weather conditions. Note they say "per hour", not "per xx
miles".

The same sports medicine guys who used to recomend that runners and other athletes drink so much water during exercise that some runners and athletes died of hyponatremia or water intoxication.

Or are those sports medicine guys getting a kickback from the energy drink people?

Cheers
Old July 31st 17, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...ring+athletics

Old July 31st 17, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

They must mean 1- 16 - 24oz bottle of water OR energy drink per hour. I
did a bit over 100k yesterday and had to fill my 2 24oz water bottles at
the midway point. Average speed was about 29k/h and it was a bit muggy
but not excessively hot. Not much wind and probably 500m of ascent so
not a particularly tough ride. 4 bottles was plenty. I can't imagine
drinking twice that much liquid. Maybe if I was climbing in the Alps or
something.
Old July 31st 17, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

On 2017-07-28 15:57, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I'm not really sure that they do. After all, dehydration that they're talking about isn't from being out in the sun and wind but from riding at or near maximum effort. I am showing no deleterious effects from riding pretty long distances at moderate paces without much in the way of hydration.
Old July 31st 17, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-07-31 11:37, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Monday, July 31, 2017 at 2:00:33 PM UTC-4, Joerg wrote: Snipped
Quote: "Carry and consume one 16-24oz bottle of plain water,
plus one extra 16-24oz bottle of an energy drink for each hour
on the bike".

Snipped
It's not my equation, it is recommended by sports medicine guys and
they know a thing or two about dehydration. I assume they
calculated for heavy riding where you pump out close to as much as
your body will give at the current weather conditions. Note they
say "per hour", not "per xx miles".

The same sports medicine guys who used to recomend that runners and
other athletes drink so much water during exercise that some runners
and athletes died of hyponatremia or water intoxication.

Or are those sports medicine guys getting a kickback from the energy
drink people?

Performance Bike getting kickbacks from energy drink people? Sometimes I
wonder just what you are smoking.