the penultimate harassment

Old March 14th 05, 09:53 AM
greggery peccary

Default the penultimate harassment

damn somebody just drove past me on my ride home and sprayed what looked
like tear gas at me! they missed. it hung in a big gasseous cloud on the
ground behind me as i rode away. yesterday almost got in a fight with some
assholes yelling at me as i minded my own buisness in the bike lane.
everyday now it's something WTF? i am starting to seriously question whether
most people out there are really "civil" or if they are just like children
attacking anything aberrent.
i going to start carrying rocks. maybe make a little bag for them on my
handlebar. no more mr nice guy... :-(

Old March 14th 05, 03:00 PM
Pat

"greggery peccary" @.@ wrote : damn somebody just drove past me on my ride
home and sprayed what looked
: like tear gas at me! they missed. it hung in a big gasseous cloud on the
: ground behind me as i rode away. yesterday almost got in a fight with some
: assholes yelling at me as i minded my own buisness in the bike lane.
: everyday now it's something WTF? i am starting to seriously question
whether
: most people out there are really "civil" or if they are just like children
: attacking anything aberrent.
: i going to start carrying rocks. maybe make a little bag for them on my
: handlebar. no more mr nice guy... :-(

I have this fantasy of carrying a gun with paint pellets in it and marking
the idiots' car or pickup truck as they go by....BTW: where are you riding?
What city?

Pat in TX
:
:

Old March 14th 05, 03:51 PM
Mike

In article , Pat wrote:

[...]

A friend a previous cow-order had the same idea many years
ago for the highways here in Tx (DFW). With your license you
are issued a paint-ball gun. You put paint on anyone's car
that is driving erratically, dangerously, etc. The police then
look for the people with the most paint!
Old March 14th 05, 04:11 PM
Pat

:
: I have this fantasy of carrying a gun with paint pellets in it and
marking
: the idiots' car or pickup truck as they go by....BTW: where are you
riding?
: What city?
:
: Pat in TX
:
: A friend a previous cow-order had the same idea many years
: ago for the highways here in Tx (DFW). With your license you
: are issued a paint-ball gun. You put paint on anyone's car
: that is driving erratically, dangerously, etc. The police then
: look for the people with the most paint!

I would tag every one of those red light runners fer sure!

Pat in TX

Old March 14th 05, 06:41 PM
Brady Montz

"greggery peccary" @.@ writes:

damn somebody just drove past me on my ride home and sprayed what looked
like tear gas at me! they missed. it hung in a big gasseous cloud on the
ground behind me as i rode away. yesterday almost got in a fight with some
assholes yelling at me as i minded my own buisness in the bike lane.
everyday now it's something WTF? i am starting to seriously question whether
most people out there are really "civil" or if they are just like children
attacking anything aberrent.
i going to start carrying rocks. maybe make a little bag for them on my
handlebar. no more mr nice guy... :-(

And I question if you meant to use the word "penultimate," and wonder
about the potentially ultimate harassment that can result from your
proposed use of rocks.

--
Brady Montz

Old March 14th 05, 08:09 PM
Chris Zacho The Wheelman

Rocks are not a good idea. Their 2000+ pound vehicle can do a lot more
retaliatory damage than your 10 ounce stone.

- -

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner
http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

Old March 14th 05, 09:01 PM
Leo Lichtman

"May you have the winds at your back,
And a really low gear for the hills!"

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Especially if you insist on riding with a bag of rocks.

Old March 14th 05, 09:47 PM
Tom Keats

In article ,
"greggery peccary" @.@ writes:

i going to start carrying rocks. maybe make a little bag for them on my
handlebar. no more mr nice guy... :-(

"He's five foot two and he's six feet four,
He fights with missiles and with spears ..."

Don't do it! Too much risk of collateral damage,
for one thing. And a bag of rocks just doesn't
look good on a bike; that would almost be as bad
as shopping bags slung on the handlebar.

Such incidents often seem to occur in closely-timed
clusters, but they never really indicate any trend.

What helps me get over such negative experiences is
to make a point of creating positive ones -- eg:
chatting a little with fellow riders, complimenting
them about their kewl bikes, etc. Maybe negative
reactions to negative experiences engender more
negative experiences, and positive ones engender
positive ones. I live in the optimism that's how it
works, anyways. At any rate, Mr Nice Guy is immutably
irrepressible, so I think he'll stick around.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 14th 05, 11:19 PM
Maggie

Tom Keats wrote:
In article ,
"greggery peccary" @.@ writes:

i going to start carrying rocks. maybe make a little bag for them

on my
handlebar. no more mr nice guy... :-(

"He's five foot two and he's six feet four,
He fights with missiles and with spears ..."

Don't do it! Too much risk of collateral damage,
for one thing. And a bag of rocks just doesn't
look good on a bike; that would almost be as bad
as shopping bags slung on the handlebar.

You can't put a shopping bag on the handlebar? OOPS. I did that
Saturday. Am I ousted from the kewl bicycle riders union? I passed the
supermarket, I needed bread. It was a light plastic bag and it had a
handle. It was nicely slung over the handlebars all the way home. It
had a nice slogan on it. It read....SHOP-RITE. So I biked and shopped.
Makes sense to me.
All Good Things.
Maggie (The bag lady)

Old March 14th 05, 11:58 PM
Tom Keats

In article .com,
"Maggie" writes:
You can't put a shopping bag on the handlebar? OOPS. I did that
Saturday. Am I ousted from the kewl bicycle riders union?

Naw, you're forgiven. This time. But casually hanging stuff
on a beautiful bicycle is kinda like putting ketchup on
tenderloin, or t.p.ing a Frank Lloyd Wright house.

I passed the
supermarket, I needed bread.

Somewhere I read a theory that the word 'pannier' is
etymologically rooted in the French 'pain' (bread) --
the idea being that panniers would be useful for
carrying baguettes. But I figure if that were the
case, panniers either wouldn't have lids, or they'd
be a lot longer/higher. I prefer to believe the word
is based on the Greek 'pan' (everything). Ultimately I
don't really care where the word 'pannier' comes from.
The word is there, and we can use it all we want.
That's good enough for me.

It was a light plastic bag and it had a
handle. It was nicely slung over the handlebars all the way home.

Did ya end up kickin' it with each near-side pedal stroke? :-)

Anyhow, while a loaf of bread is probably harmless, it's
generally safer to not have stuff dangling near the
front wheel.

cheers,
Tom