Killer gets off with 1-3 years

Old March 17th 05, 03:24 AM
bbaka

There is a difference between these crimes and hidious crimes such as

pre meditated murder, rape, child molestation, armed robbery, cold
blooded killing with no remorse, kidnapping and torturing a victim,
walking into a convenience store and shooting 10 innocent people.

Driving double the speed limit is no different than pulling a trigger.
Especially on a country road by a driver with little experience.

Make an example and it all ends???? Is it that simple??

Make an example of them all.

Germany has the Autobahn so they can get it out of their system. A few
miles at 213 MPH should mellow you out for a while.
Bill Baka
Old March 17th 05, 03:45 AM
Mark Hickey

"Colorado Bicycler" wrote:

I think about 15 years in prison would be an appropriate sentence, and
would have a marked deterring effect on others.

Just tonight on the news (network news for those who wonder...) we had
an 18 year old sentenced to 16 years in prison for causing an accident
that killed three people. He was driving 50 mph over the limit,
drunk, and left the scene (the victims weren't found for six hours
because they ended up off the road in a canal).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old March 17th 05, 03:55 AM
Matt O'Toole

bbaka wrote:

Colorado Bicycler wrote:

This guy had an amazing record of speeding tickets and other assorted
violations, and it appears he has his hand slapped for these
offenses. So it is not as if he this was his first time with this
behavior, nor that he had not been warned before.

That is a very real problem with California law, at least where I
live. There are drivers with 3 or 4 DUI s pending that are still out
driving drunk every night and not behind bars where they should be.

Knowing how CA law works in such cases I'm sure these people are ignoring it,
and driving anyway with revoked or restricted licenses.

Matt O.

Old March 17th 05, 04:04 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

Let's agree to disagree. I will respect your view....

Ah! So innocent to the ways of Usenet.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 17th 05, 04:18 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

That was a cruel thing to say in a public forum. To suggest I have a
criminal past. That is hurtful. I never knew until this moment, how
Newsgroups can possibly hurt a person.

This is what someone one rec.bicycles.tech had to say about me:

...You have demonstrated to me that you are a piece of **** at
this point... Damn right, and choosing the way you did, you
demonstrated what a scumbag you are... Let me tell you dirtbag...
Ponder this, you ****head...
You are a miserable creature.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 17th 05, 04:23 AM
Tom Sherman

Neil Brooks wrote:

Many states have places for boy-racers to race *legally* -- stadium
parking lots, closed stretches of road . . . whatever -- where it is
sanctioned by the police and closed to the general public. When you
foist your stupidity on the general public by racing on public
streets, you bear the responsibility of your actions *regardless* of
what you "intended" to do....

That is the great thing about cycling. You can have an impromptu road
race [1] without really endangering anyone.

[1] This seemed to happen quite often on club rides, where the unwritten
policy was for the stronger riders to help pull everyone outbound
against the wind, then the return was a free for all.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 17th 05, 04:26 AM
Tom Sherman

Maggie wrote:

Zoot Katz wrote:

16 Mar 2005 08:16:49 -0800,
s.com,
"Maggie" wrote:

So you think the kid should get the death penalty?

No, he should be fed alive to alligators.
--
zk

I can always count on you to lighten things up.

Zoot is serious.

--
Tom Sherman - Earth (Downstate Illinois, North of Forgottonia)

Old March 17th 05, 05:10 AM
S o r n i

Tom Sherman wrote:
Maggie wrote:

That was a cruel thing to say in a public forum. To suggest I have a
criminal past. That is hurtful. I never knew until this moment, how
Newsgroups can possibly hurt a person.

This is what someone one rec.bicycles.tech had to say about me:

...You have demonstrated to me that you are a piece of **** at
this point... Damn right, and choosing the way you did, you
demonstrated what a scumbag you are... Let me tell you dirtbag...
Ponder this, you ****head...
You are a miserable creature.

I was having a rough morning.

Old March 17th 05, 06:27 AM
Michael J. Klein

On 16 Mar 2005 08:16:49 -0800, "Maggie"
wrote:

snip
So you think the kid should get the death penalty? Did you ever hear
of the saying..."there but for the grace of God go I" or "Don't spit in
the wind my friend". Are you a parent? Did you ever know a person
whose child was killed by a teenage driver? Did you ever know a
teenager who killed someone with his car because he was 18 and acting
like an ass. Did you ever know parents who instead of seeking revenge,
they honored their lost child by helping educate, motivate, and finance
programs regarding safety. Did you ever see a parent who lost a child
try to repair the life of the "criminal".

There is a difference between these crimes and hidious crimes such as
pre meditated murder, rape, child molestation, armed robbery, cold
blooded killing with no remorse, kidnapping and torturing a victim,
walking into a convenience store and shooting 10 innocent people.

Anyone who intentionally and with thought sets out to harm any human
being should be punished. A person who kidnaps a child and rapes and
tortures him or her should die a slow death in my opinion. A slow
agonizing death.

Crime is not black and white. I don't think most 18 year olds who
speed, think its "OK TO KILL SOMEONE". Do you really think the boy in
my town or the boy in the news story actually think, or thought...it
was OK TO KILL SOMEONE?

I can't argue this, because I know some young people who have screwed
up badly and then turned their life around.

I know people who screwed up their life so badly when they were young
but because of the help they received, they are making a difference in
the lives of young offenders. The company I work for builds the
offices in Newark for past offenders changing the lives of these young
kids.

If you want to hang everyone, that is your perogotive. In the end, do
you really think that will solve the problem. Do you really think that
will put an end to these tragedies. Really, is that what you believe?
Make an example and it all ends???? Is it that simple??
Maggie

You forgot something very important. This wasn't a "mistake" or
someone "acting like an ass." This is a habitual law breaker who
finally killed someone while breaking the law:

"Just 10 days prior to the fatal accident, Niskayuna police ticketed
Paniccia for road racing, speeding and misuse of dealer license
plates, prosecutors said. Police in Colonie and Schenectady had also
ticketed Paniccia for speeding."

Isolated incidents are far different from habitual criminal actions.
This guy is a menance and he needs to be put away. Public safety
demands such action on the part of the law enforcement system.

Michael J. Klein
Yangmei Jen (Hukou), Taoyuan Hsien, Taiwan, ROC
Please replace mousepotato with asiancastings
Old March 17th 05, 11:30 AM
Michael Warner

On Wed, 16 Mar 2005 19:07:43 -0800, bbaka wrote:

Rewind. We need to go way back an change the inscription on the tablet
of the Statue of Liberty to read "Keep your damned useless in your
countries, because we don't want them either.". Are you old enough to
have seen what has happened here since the mid 1960s? I am
Caucasian/Native American and now a minority in the country of my
ancestors, thousands of years back. We are no longer the great melting
pot but just a kettle of crud. Harsh wording on my part, but quite
literally true.

Are you some sort of nut? Your society, like most in the West, was built
on waves of cheap immigrant labour who'd do dirty, dangerous, back-breaking
jobs for next to nothing.

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo