12 years for cyclist killer

Old May 17th 05, 09:26 PM
james

Default 12 years for cyclist killer

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho.../26533640.html

Prison ordered in DUI death

Henderson bicyclist hit on way to work

By GLENN PUIT
REVIEW-JOURNAL

A drunken driver who killed a bicyclist in Henderson last year was
sentenced to up to 12 years in prison Monday.

Nicole Rae Cowans, 30, was driving a Hyundai under the influence of
alcohol when the vehicle struck Jessie Marie Hinson, 40, from behind on
Green Valley Parkway near Windmill Lane.

Cowans had a prior DUI conviction in 2000.

"I miss her every day," the victim's sister, Virginia Bradshaw, told
District Judge Nancy Saitta during a sentencing hearing Monday.

"She (Hinson) was riding her bike to work," Bradshaw said. "She did
nothing wrong."

According to authorities, Cowans' blood-alcohol measured 0.18 percent.
The legal limit in Nevada is 0.08.

Cowans' attorney, Dean Kajioka, said Hinson's death was a tragedy, and
that Cowans was on the verge of graduating from the University of
Nevada, Las Vegas, at the time. He said on the night in question, she
was drinking and studying, then drove home.

"She's extremely remorseful," Kajioka said.

According to court records, Cowans had been arrested in 2000 on drunken
driving charges. She was fined $400 and ended up serving two days in
jail after entering into a plea deal that did not require a formal
admission of guilt.

Authorities said a few days after the fatal accident, Cowans was cited
again for driving on a revoked license. She also had a history of
driving without insurance as well.

Saitta sentenced Cowans to three to 12 years in prison, which was in
line with a recommendation from parole and probation officials.

"We were so angry to hear this was not her first time," Bradshaw said.
"She already knew what could happen, but she chose to (drink and drive)
anyway. Jessie doesn't get that second chance."

Old May 18th 05, 03:46 AM
AustinMN

John Park wrote:
Seems to me that she got off light!
John P.

In many US states, 10 years is the maximum for vehicular homicide while
intoxicated. Were it me, I would have sentenced her to more, but it may
have been the maximum allowed sentence.

The real issue is how much of that she will serve. My bet is three years or
less.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old May 18th 05, 04:43 AM
Steve Knight

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:25:49 -0500, "John Park" wrote:

Seems to me that she got off light!
John P.

most people that kill in cars get off with free.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old May 18th 05, 04:49 AM
Steve Knight

"She's extremely remorseful," Kajioka said.

a bit too late I think.

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old May 20th 05, 01:46 AM
Geezer Boy

On Tue, 17 May 2005 20:43:18 -0700, Steve Knight
wrote:

On Tue, 17 May 2005 18:25:49 -0500, "John Park" wrote:

Seems to me that she got off light!
John P.

most people that kill in cars get off with free.

This is outrageous. A travesty. A full lifetime sentence in the
workhouse would approach true justice, IMO, insofar as it is possible.

G.B.