29er tube in coker help

Old August 9th 05, 09:13 PM
James_Potter

Default 29er tube in coker help

hey,
I'm going to try the 29" tube in my Coker thing, and see what happens.
But I went to the bike store today, and they have a ton of different
700c x ##, and I know that one of those is the right 29er tube, but I
don't even know what those numbers mean, so I didn't know which one to
buy.
so, in 700c speak, what is a 29" tube?

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old August 9th 05, 09:20 PM
U-Turn

'Tire sizing article' (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html)

'Specific 29er tube installation instructions'
(http://tinyurl.com/cpdjd)

--
U-Turn - Cool water for the flame

'Strongest Coker Wheel in the World'
-- Dave Stockton

Old August 9th 05, 09:42 PM
James_Potter

U-Turn wrote:
*'Tire sizing article' (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/tire_sizing.html)*

okay, soo...700c means that the tire is 700mm in diameter, and the
second one is how wide the tire is in mm, right? hrmm, I might be
missing somethin here, but I'm still not completely sure which one the
29" is. well, I figured out that 700mm = about 27", so I guess
something wider like a 700c x 50 would be about 29 inches, right?

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old August 9th 05, 09:52 PM
john_childs

U-Turn's link to the 29er tube installation instructions is bad. The
forum software is messing up the URL because of the spaces or other odd
characters in the URL. Here's a clickable link using TinyURL:
'Installing a 29er tube in the LiveWire 36\" Wheel'
(http://tinyurl.com/cpdjd)

I just ordered some Schwalbe 29er tubes (Schwalbe calls them 28" tubes)
to try in my Coker. I haven't gotten around to trying them yet because
I got distracted by my broken Coker hub. U-Turn has a link to the
Schwalbe North America web page where you can buy the tubes directly
from Schwalbe. Minimum order is $15 which means a minimum of 3 tubes.
The tubes ship from Victoria BC Canada which is handy since I live in
Washington.

I was surprised at how difficult it was to buy a proper 29er tube. Most
bike shops don't stock that size of tube. A lot of the online bike
shops also don't stock that size of tube. And if you're looking for a
tube with a Schrader valve for the Coker wheel your choices get really
limited. The Schwalbe tube was the best option I could find. You can
either order directly from Schwalbe or go to your favorite local bike
shop and have them special order the tube.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (att) hotmail (dott) com
Gallery: '' (http://gallery.unicyclist.com/john_childs)
' Unicycling Bookmark List' (http://backcountry.unicyclist.com/) ::
'World Clock' (http://tinyurl.com/a99y3) 'Click Me'
(http://tinyurl.com/7lvbu)

Old August 9th 05, 09:55 PM
U-Turn

James_Potter wrote:
*okay, soo...700c means that the tire is 700mm in diameter, and the
second one is how wide the tire is in mm, right? hrmm, I might be
missing somethin here, but I'm still not completely sure which one the
29" is. well, I figured out that 700mm = about 27", so I guess
something wider like a 700c x 50 would be about 29 inches, right? *

It probably would benefit you to take quite a bit of time with the
article, since it is a confusing subject, though I think Sheldon Brown
does a great job with it.

"700mm" is nothing.

"700 C" is a French size. It refers to a Bead Seat Diameter (BSD) of
622mm. It has nothing to do with tire width. The ISO term for this
size is 622mm.

"29" is a rough inflated-tire-on-wheel diameter. For example, the
Schwalbe Big Apple 29x2.35 tire on a Rhyno Lite 700c rim has:

-- A BSD of 622mm (this is fixed with a wire in the bead)
-- An inflated tire diameter of about 30" (as measured by me)
-- An inflated tire width of about 60mm = 2 24/64" = 2 3/8" = 2.375" (as
measured by me)

The Schwalbe tube AV19 is listed as 40/60-622/635, which means that the
company certifies it as being suitable for tires from 40mm to 60mm wide,
with BSDs from 622mm to 635mm. In practice, of course, the tube will
stretch more than that, which is why we can get away with it.

Old August 9th 05, 09:57 PM
U-Turn

Ah thanks, John for the link fix.

You can buy the tubes from LiveWire too =)

Old August 9th 05, 10:03 PM
john_childs

I forgot to add that U-Turn's web page on installing a 29er tube in a
Coker includes a link to the Schwalbe North America web page where you
can order the tube. AV 19 is the size that you want. AV is Schrader
valve and 19 is the number for their 29er size (40/60-622/635). 622 is
the rim diameter for a 700c rim and the 40/60 is the width.

Old August 9th 05, 10:06 PM
James_Potter

hmm, okay, I think I do understand it now...yeah, it does seem like a
pretty confusing topic q-: I think I'll prolly order the Schwalbe tube
John recommended...
thanks!

--
James_Potter - betcha can't stick it!

Old August 9th 05, 11:16 PM
TonyMelton

Bontrager also make a 29" inner with a Schrader valve. I don't know
where you can get them from, though. (They aren't available in NZ,
anyways.)

--
TonyMelton - Cloud 9

The way to a man's heart is through his veins.
TonyMelton's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2118