Composite parts building.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old December 5th 07, 06:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
webhead[_2_]

Default Composite parts building.

Hey all,

I'm sort off drawn to the whole carbon frame building thing but doing
that is easier said than done.

I figured it's probably a bad idea to start messing with carbon cloth
in the first place, it really expensive and doesn't handle too easy
from what I've seen. I'd like to use a different kind of fiber to get
the hang of it and maybe later use carbon cloth. Johan Musseeuw
(former cyclist) started building frames using Flax fiber. I thought
It was a mistake but it's not. It looks weird as well:
http://www.museeuwbikes.be/images/article_la/58.jpg
A lot of people seem to make boat/car/plane parts with fiberglass.

So I'd like to start by building the most easy thing I can think of: a
piece of tube and maybe a drop handlebar later on.

Experiences and testimonies anyone?