Bike for the Alps

Old March 7th 08, 10:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Bike for the Alps

Since you are going to be doing some climbing taking your own bike
makes a lot of sense unless you intend to buy a new bike in europe. Or
unless you are prepared to spend a equal or greater amount for a new
bike. If you are then you should have the bike and price figured out
before you get there. You should also consider purchasing a hard frame
shipping case.

I would like to travel in europe on a bike without all the hassle of
panniers. It would be nice if there was a convenient way to have my
luggage shipped ahead each day to my next hotel.

On Mar 7, 1:51 pm, Colin Campbell wrote:
I'm going to Italy during the Giro. The event is "CSC Employee Week",
and they will supply us with road bikes (Cervelos, probably team bikes
from 2007 and earlier). I asked if any would have triple chainrings,
and the answer was, "No, they have compact doubles, though."

That worries me. I'm 64, in pretty good shape, riding a ton of miles at
sea level, and climbing better than I have for years. But for the tough
climbs in Southern California, such as Mt Palomar and Glendora Mountain
Road, I feel like I need my triple. We'll be staying at a ski resort at
1600 m (5000+ feet) altitude, and doing some pretty tough rides, like
the Selle Ronda, and maybe Passo dello Stelvio if we can make
arrangements to get there and back. The Stelvio ascends at 8 - 9% for
kilometer after kilometer, and goes to 2757 m (over 9000 feet).

Should I tote my climbing bike from home? (Back in 2002, I took my bike
to the TdF. I used a soft sided bag, and my scandium framed bike got
damaged by United Airlines on the way home. I had problems with the
altitude then - I just couldn't seem to get enough oxygen. That was at
Les Deux Alpes, 5,000 to 6,000+ feet.)

Should I just go train on my compact double equipped bike, and hope for
the best?

Oh, and how should I train for riding in the Dolomites? I don't think
I'll be getting an altitude tent to sleep in, but I can get to good,
tough mountain roads without too much driving.

Bike for the Alps [email protected] Racing 1 March 8th 08 04:33 AM
Touring some Alps Jan Lindstrom Rides 20 October 17th 06 10:23 PM
Alps Training nathan Unicycling 3 June 20th 05 07:16 PM
a cyclist's map of the alps davek UK 7 May 23rd 05 06:38 PM
In the Alps 2 weeks ago Jacques Moser Rides 3 June 14th 04 07:10 PM