Am I the only one?

Old February 28th 05, 12:45 PM
Velo Psycho

Default Am I the only one?

Am I the only one who is getting a little bit sick of all the FA
postings? We all know how to use Ebay's search function. When it's
one guy posting one thing... it's not so bad. But do you have to post
20 items in a row? How about combining them all in one post?

Old February 28th 05, 02:09 PM
Wheels by BFWG

"Velo Psycho" wrote in message
ups.com...
Am I the only one who is getting a little bit sick of all the FA
postings? We all know how to use Ebay's search function. When it's
one guy posting one thing... it's not so bad. But do you have to post
20 items in a row? How about combining them all in one post?

Not by a long shot. . . I just "kill" 'em. . . If I wanted to shop at an
auction, I'd go to eBay myself. My list of blocked senders is getting
really long, but I love the feature. . . .

Old February 28th 05, 04:12 PM
Troy

Velo Psycho,
Great timing. Last night as I downloaded the latest threads I noticed about
40% of them was for stuff on Ebay. I know how to search for stuff on Ebay. I
thought this board was for people who wanted to sell stuff. If I wanted to
join the herd of people who Overbid for items on Ebay then I'd go there.
When I go to Ebay I usually sort by the "Buy Now" option first anyway. I
guess it is time to figure out how to "Kill" all of these FA threads.
Good thread

Old February 28th 05, 05:04 PM
Velo Psycho

I have to admit I am actually looking for some stuff that the guy who
posted a gazillion FA posts is selling. Ordinarily, I might bid.

However, I pledge here and now that I will never bid on anything that I
see here in an FA post.

Old February 28th 05, 08:39 PM
Guy F. Anderson Sr.

On 28 Feb 2005 09:04:27 -0800, "Velo Psycho"
wrote:

I have to admit I am actually looking for some stuff that the guy who
posted a gazillion FA posts is selling. Ordinarily, I might bid.

However, I pledge here and now that I will never bid on anything that I
see here in an FA post.

Maybe an amendment to the ng's charter (?) prohibiting said FA posts
would be in order......

Guy A
Ripley, TN
Old February 28th 05, 09:24 PM
HardwareLust

wrote:

I have to admit I am actually looking for some stuff that the guy who
posted a gazillion FA posts is selling. Ordinarily, I might bid.

However, I pledge here and now that I will never bid on anything that I
see here in an FA post.

Maybe an amendment to the ng's charter (?) prohibiting said FA posts
would be in order......

Before this turns into another rabid ebay bash-fest, let me gently point out
that if you or others don't like FA posts, then either don't read them or
filter them out. Simple. There's lots of folks that like or don't mind FA
posts, and personally I've found some good bargains by following r.b.m.
posts back to ebay.

The whole point of putting FA in the subject is so that the people that
don't like ebay can safely ignore them or killfile the posts. There's no
need to modify the charter (assuming there is one) because the mechanism is
already in place to help you differentiate between the posts you like and
the ones you don't.

Regards,
H.

Old February 28th 05, 09:26 PM
David Kerber

In article p_LUd.50665$uc.34120@trnddc03, says...

Before this turns into another rabid ebay bash-fest, let me gently point out
that if you or others don't like FA posts, then either don't read them or
filter them out. Simple. There's lots of folks that like or don't mind FA
posts, and personally I've found some good bargains by following r.b.m.
posts back to ebay.

The whole point of putting FA in the subject is so that the people that
don't like ebay can safely ignore them or killfile the posts. There's no
need to modify the charter (assuming there is one) because the mechanism is
already in place to help you differentiate between the posts you like and
the ones you don't.

I agree, but it would be nice if they would put everything in one post,
instead of a dozen different posts each with 1 item's link in it.

newsgroups if possible).
Old February 28th 05, 09:32 PM
Velo Psycho

I wrote

To which Guy F. Anderson Sr. wrote:

Maybe an amendment to the ng's charter (?) prohibiting said FA posts
would be in order......

To which I reply: I'm a big fan of more speech to combat bad speech -
not censoring speech. So... I'd rather say that anyone who feels the
same way should post here that they will boycott any multiple FA
poster.

Old February 28th 05, 11:01 PM
Tim McNamara

wrote:

I have to admit I am actually looking for some stuff that the guy
who posted a gazillion FA posts is selling. Ordinarily, I might
bid.

However, I pledge here and now that I will never bid on anything
that I see here in an FA post.

Maybe an amendment to the ng's charter (?) prohibiting said FA posts
would be in order......

There's no one to moderate the newsgroup, so this would be
unenforceable. No point in even trying, and in fact making the place
a hostile environment in which to post stuff would quickly kill the
newsgroup.

About 5 years ago or so, we had a long discussion in the newsgroup
about whether auction notices were appropriate to r.b.m. I was of the
opinion "not," at the time, and basically my opinion has not changed
on that. The majority wanted to see auction notices, however, and to
know about what was available whether in direct sales or via eBay.
The agreement was made to flag auctions as "FA:" rather than "FS:" in
the header so that everyone would know up front. Most posters do
adhere to this, a few newbies don't but they soon catch on. My
personal preference is to do business with people- to communicate,
negotiate a price and buy that way. Auctions are normally won by the
person most willing to overpay.

eBay has gotten increasingly rude- sellers rarely even acknowledge the
auction, they just wait for their Paypal account to get the money and
then they ship the item. I haven't bid on anything in months, in part
because of that and in part because too many eBayers have more money
than sense (which is usually a self-limiting problem).

FA posts don't annoy me any more. The breathless "only 48 minutes
left" type posts when the seller is feeling like he or she should be
getting lots more for their thrashed old crap are what annoy me.

Everybody's in favor of free markets except when it benefits someone
else. ;-)

I think a possible exception would be for people to post a single
announcement of their auctions, with a list of what's on eBay and a
link not to each individual auction but to their seller ID where the
puinters can see everything all at once.
Old March 1st 05, 01:12 AM
Mike Lackey

I remember that discussion very well. And although I personally do not care
for all the FA's that clog up the list, it's also very easy to skip them.

Way back whe, there used to be an occasional ad where an FA was not used but
the item was on ebay. However, it seems like there are more of these
lately. Lots more. Is it just me?

Mike Lackey
Madison, AL