British Government supports speed criminals and drink drivers...

Old May 18th 06, 09:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Default British Government supports speed criminals and drink drivers...

Times

Britain blocks EU safety move on speeding and drink-driving.

BRITAIN is blocking pan-European road safety measures, including
reducing the drink-drive limit and installing speed limiters on cars,
according to leaked documents obtained by The Times.

The Department for Transport has intervened in the drafting of a
landmark statement on road safety due to be agreed by European Union
transport ministers in Brussels next month.

The department has deleted references to several measures it had
previously claimed to support, including speed limiters, steps to
reduce the number of crashes caused by elderly drivers, and systems for
monitoring driver attentiveness. It has also removed a section on
harmonising drink-drive laws across the EU.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...185685,00.html

Old May 18th 06, 11:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wrote in message
ups.com...

Times

Britain blocks EU safety move on speeding and drink-driving.

BRITAIN is blocking pan-European road safety measures, including
reducing the drink-drive limit and installing speed limiters on cars,
according to leaked documents obtained by The Times.

The Department for Transport has intervened in the drafting of a
landmark statement on road safety due to be agreed by European Union
transport ministers in Brussels next month.

The department has deleted references to several measures it had
previously claimed to support, including speed limiters, steps to
reduce the number of crashes caused by elderly drivers, and systems for
monitoring driver attentiveness. It has also removed a section on
harmonising drink-drive laws across the EU.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...185685,00.html

How exactly is a speed limiter presumably calibrated for "70 MPH" going to
stop some idiot without self-control from "speeding" in an urban area?

If you think "criminals" are going to suddenly think "O'h the EU has just
passed a speed limiter law therefore I best install a regulator on my
souped-up uninsured murder machine now that it is in statute" then you
greatly misunderstand the problems.

Providing speed limiters are fitted to airliners and railway train, I have
no objection to this crazy plan. After all "speed kills" and why should
trains and planes continue without speed enforcement too?

And whilst we are on the subject of safety, we should bring in a lid law, as
clearly a lot of cyclists need to protect the limited matter within their
heads.

Railings should also be installed on all walk-ways to reduce the number of
pedestrians being hit by cars.

Old May 18th 06, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Heracles Pollux" wrote in message

Railings should also be installed on all walk-ways to reduce the number of
pedestrians being hit by cars.

Bit of a **** if the pedestrian requires to cross the road....

Cheers, helen s

Old May 18th 06, 12:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

wafflycat wrote:
"Heracles Pollux" wrote in message
Railings should also be installed on all walk-ways to reduce the
number of pedestrians being hit by cars.

Bit of a **** if the pedestrian requires to cross the road....

Not at all. There's quite a few of those round here and the normal solution
is that the pedestrian walks on the outside of the barrier for a little
while.

The net safety effect is negative, but, well, something must be done;
installing railings is something: thus installing railings must be done.

See: it's a good job I took all those courses in logic back when I were in
university. Would you like me to prove the commutativity of addition in the
lambda calculus for an encore?
--
Ambrose

Old May 18th 06, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"wafflycat" wrote in message

"Heracles Pollux" wrote in message

Railings should also be installed on all walk-ways to reduce the number
of pedestrians being hit by cars.

Bit of a **** if the pedestrian requires to cross the road....

Cheers, helen s

But at least they will be safe, alive, and free to pursue a life of
religious fulfilment.

And if they cross the barrier, then it will be their fault!

Old May 18th 06, 12:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Heracles Pollux wrote:

Providing speed limiters are fitted to airliners and railway train, I have
no objection to this crazy plan. After all "speed kills" and why should
trains and planes continue without speed enforcement too?

And how precisely would a speed limiter on an aircraft work? Alter the
universal gravitational constant, perhaps?

R.
Old May 18th 06, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Heracles Pollux wrote:
"wafflycat" wrote in message
"Heracles Pollux" wrote in message
Railings should also be installed on all walk-ways to reduce the
number of pedestrians being hit by cars.

Bit of a **** if the pedestrian requires to cross the road....

But at least they will be safe, alive, and free to pursue a life of
religious fulfilment.

What on earth has religion got to do with it?
--
Ambrose
Old May 18th 06, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Richard wrote:
Heracles Pollux wrote:

Providing speed limiters are fitted to airliners and railway train,
I have no objection to this crazy plan. After all "speed kills" and
why should trains and planes continue without speed enforcement too?

And how precisely would a speed limiter on an aircraft work? Alter
the universal gravitational constant, perhaps?

I understand physics is pretty firm about limiting most (jet) planes to the
speeds they currently fly at as it stands.
--
Ambrose

Old May 18th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
What on earth has religion got to do with it?

Well, he did mention the H word...

d.

Old May 18th 06, 12:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

"Richard" .address.uk
wrote in message ...
Heracles Pollux wrote:

Providing speed limiters are fitted to airliners and railway train, I
have no objection to this crazy plan. After all "speed kills" and why
should trains and planes continue without speed enforcement too?

And how precisely would a speed limiter on an aircraft work? Alter the
universal gravitational constant, perhaps?

R.

That does not matter so long as no aircraft shall exceed 70 MPH, or 30 MPH
if an urban area, unless designated a home zone, in which case it shall be
20 MPH.