New Jersey riding into New York City

Old August 26th 06, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace,misc.transport.road
NYC XYZ

Default New Jersey riding into New York City

Ken Roberts wrote:
In reponse to my comment that some long distance east-west bicycle routes
and maps do not show how to actually ride from New Jersey into New York
City -- so instead of telling how to make the spectacular ride across the
George Washington Bridge, they suggest stopping at Newark in New Jersey and
taking the train into Manhattan . . .
NYC XYZ wrote
that's the Adventure Cycling map he's got. It's exactly where
they end: the train at Newark, barely fifteen miles away!

To me that seems kinda sad.
I've gone between Newark and the GWB by three different routes on _skates_.
I think that demonstrates that anybody who's ridden most of the way across
the country on a _bicycle_ ought to have sufficient capabilities to make it
under their own power to a worthy finish over the great bridge into
Manhattan.

To try to offer something to fill this gap, here's some notes on my
skates between Newark and the GWB:
http://roberts-1.com/sk8hv/v/w/gwb/t...05-reports.htm
http://roberts-1.com/sk8hv/v/w/gwb/t...04-reports.htm

Ken

That reminds me. Someone at a recent bike club ride said that the
Goethals Bridge is supposed to be open "soon" to bicycles. Anyone
know?

Also, Transportation Alternatives' website on Newark crossings at
http://www.transalt.org/bridges/newark.html is terribly outdated
about the 1-9 Lincoln Highway Bridge. The paths themselves are fairly
full of debris, but their *approaches* are just gone, overgrown with
weeds and bushes and their steps crumbled, in ruins. You can still
brave a crossing, as I did, but you'll be only inches away from 70mph
vehicles zooming by. Luckily, I had a police SUV pass me without
incident, so perhaps it *is* all right to ride on the road itself...?

As for the Adventure Cycling Atlantic Coast Section 2 map ending in
Newark, well, that's been part of my criticism: one side of the map is
full of text about nothing very important (stuff like native plants and
local history can be found elsewhere quite easily), while the routes
covered are squeezed on the other side into little (well, 3x6, actually
-- but still rather claustrophobic) panels that north-orient every
which way. Surely they could have done a few routes into NYC had they
foregone all that text on the other side, including a big photo of an
old lady on her bike riding along a rural road!

I'd also like to suggest another way in (or, perhaps, out, if the GWB
is used to get in) to the City: the Bayonne Bridge, into Staten Island,
with the free ferry into Manhattan (all other ferries cost money).
Lots of sights this way, too -- the more famous ones, actually,
compared to the GWB.

Old August 26th 06, 08:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace,misc.transport.road
Steve A.

That reminds me. Someone at a recent bike club ride said that the
Goethals Bridge is supposed to be open "soon" to bicycles. Anyone
know?

Doesn't sound right... the Goethals Bridge can barely fit cars as it
is. Not only do I not see sufficient room on either side for a
sidewalk that would fit a bicycle, but the entire structure is at/past
the end of its service life and due either for major retrofit or
replacement entirely - along with at least one new span. They may as
well wait to finalize those plans and then work bikes into them.

Also, Transportation Alternatives' website on Newark crossings at
http://www.transalt.org/bridges/newark.html is terribly outdated
about the 1-9 Lincoln Highway Bridge. The paths themselves are fairly
full of debris, but their *approaches* are just gone, overgrown with
weeds and bushes and their steps crumbled, in ruins. You can still
brave a crossing, as I did, but you'll be only inches away from 70mph
vehicles zooming by. Luckily, I had a police SUV pass me without
incident, so perhaps it *is* all right to ride on the road itself...?

If you're talking about 1/9 Truck, then you're allowed to ride in the
roadway, as it's not a freeway. I would imagine the Pulaski Skyway
(from NJ 81 to NJ 139) is, though, and thus would prohibit bikes on the
main roadway.

I'd also like to suggest another way in (or, perhaps, out, if the GWB
is used to get in) to the City: the Bayonne Bridge, into Staten Island,
with the free ferry into Manhattan (all other ferries cost money).
Lots of sights this way, too -- the more famous ones, actually,
compared to the GWB.

Another reason why it's not necessary right away to convert the
Goethals (however they'd plan to do that).

Old August 26th 06, 08:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace,misc.transport.road
GK

Steve A. wrote:

That reminds me. Someone at a recent bike club ride said that the
Goethals Bridge is supposed to be open "soon" to bicycles. Anyone
know?

Doesn't sound right... the Goethals Bridge can barely fit cars as it
is. Not only do I not see sufficient room on either side for a
sidewalk that would fit a bicycle, but the entire structure is at/past
the end of its service life and due either for major retrofit or
replacement entirely - along with at least one new span. They may as
well wait to finalize those plans and then work bikes into them.

I remember the Goethals used to have signs on the adjacent sidewalk
about walking bikes over. There is a sidewalk on it separated by a
barrier, but lately that bridge has been undergoing nightime repairs and
getting closed all night from 9:30 pm til about 5am, so I'd have to
check sometime when I'm going over to see if the sidewalk is clear or
you could probably call the Port Authority for details.

GK
Old August 27th 06, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace,misc.transport.road
Ed Ravin

From somewhere in cyberspace, "Steve A." said:

That reminds me. Someone at a recent bike club ride said that the
Goethals Bridge is supposed to be open "soon" to bicycles. Anyone
know?

Doesn't sound right... the Goethals Bridge can barely fit cars as it
is. Not only do I not see sufficient room on either side for a
sidewalk that would fit a bicycle

Then you obviously haven't looked very carefully - the Goethals used to
be open to bike-ped traffic until several years ago when the latest
round of construction started. Yes, it's narrow and a bit scary in
spots, but plenty of people crossed that bridge and lived to tell about it.

, but the entire structure is at/past
the end of its service life and due either for major retrofit or
replacement entirely - along with at least one new span. They may as
well wait to finalize those plans and then work bikes into them.

Gee, if the bridge is in such bad shape, let's close it to cars and
just let people bike over it. Wouldn't that be a lot safer?
--
Ed Ravin | "The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as
| well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the
eravin@ | streets, and to steal bread."
panix.com | --Anatole France, Le Lys Rouge [1894]
Old August 28th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace,misc.transport.road
The Catskill Eagle

There used to be a ferry from Perth Amboy to Staten Island does anyone
know if this still exists?

Ed-The Catskill Eagle

Old August 28th 06, 05:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace,misc.transport.road

The Catskill Eagle wrote:
There used to be a ferry from Perth Amboy to Staten Island does anyone
know if this still exists?

Ed-The Catskill Eagle

Nope, it has been gone sice the 60's, but if you ever get the chance,
the berths still exist in Tottenville and Perth Amboy and it is
interesting walking down to them.

There are sidewalks on either side of the Goethals Bridge, but judging
from the above comments they are in pretty bad shape.

I know the Port Authority is just starting to talk about a twin span
for the Goethals.
If that happens the existing span will be three lanes in one direction
and they probably will
rehab the sidewalks for bikes and peds.

Take care,
Randy in Tampa, FL, soon to return to NJ

Old August 28th 06, 06:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides,nyc.bicycles,rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.marketplace,misc.transport.road

Mike Tantillo wrote:
wrote:
The Catskill Eagle wrote:
There used to be a ferry from Perth Amboy to Staten Island does anyone
know if this still exists?

Ed-The Catskill Eagle

Nope, it has been gone sice the 60's, but if you ever get the chance,
the berths still exist in Tottenville and Perth Amboy and it is
interesting walking down to them.

There are sidewalks on either side of the Goethals Bridge, but judging
from the above comments they are in pretty bad shape.

I know the Port Authority is just starting to talk about a twin span
for the Goethals.
If that happens the existing span will be three lanes in one direction
and they probably will
rehab the sidewalks for bikes and peds.

They've been talking about it for a while, but Staten Islanders are
resisting it, saying that they don't think it will provide much benefit
to Staten Island and will instead be providing benefit to Brooklyn and
Long Island and leaving a lot of extra traffic on Staten Island.

Elizabeth, NJ, is opposed to it also as it will have a lot of new
construction in the Tpk
ic area. But as traffic, and especially trucks continues to increase,
I think there will be a bigger push for it from those interests.

Remember a while back when a four truck accident on the bridge
completely gridlocked
traffic for many hours.