Using motorcycle panniers on the pushy

Old May 22nd 07, 08:19 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jules

Default Using motorcycle panniers on the pushy

I have some throw-over motorcycle panniers that were sitting in a
cupboard for a few years now, and it occurred to me that they might be
re-purposable.

I chucked them onto the rack, and with one occy strap, had a pretty
solid rig:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/z0s0/tags/touring/

They're big, but not heavy, and are mega-expandable. Expanding them
wouldn't be good for the wind resistance profile, but at least the space
is there if you need it.

I loaded them up with some heavy stuff, and took it for a quick ride,
jumping some kerbs for good measure. Everything stayed in place and the
handling wasn't particularly screwy.

I think I'm sold!

Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
confident that's not a huge problem.

Cheers,
Jules
Old May 22nd 07, 12:24 PM posted to aus.bicycle
cfsmtb[_209_]

Jules Wrote:

Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
confident that's not a huge problem.

Be wary doing that, I've bent several rear axles via carrying heavy
stuff. With carrying slabs please ensure that your pannier rack is
securely, and I mean, securely bolted on. Last year I snapped a bolt on
the stays by just rolling over a gutter with only a six-pack on board,
luckily there was a emergency occy strap on board to get the weight off
the wheels for the journey homewards. (ok that was probably slightly out
of spec). As for panniers if it works for you, use it, as there's plenty
of interesting DIY load carrying stuff out there.

--
cfsmtb

Old May 22nd 07, 01:51 PM posted to aus.bicycle
DeF

Jules wrote:
[...]

I can remember using motorbike panniers for a while many years back now.
I remember that they were much cheaper than dedicated bike panniers
(which were pretty rare anyway). The only problems I remember where
that they were relatively heavy and there was no stiffening in them so
they tended to sag into the rear wheel. I think I solve the latter
problem with some thin pieces of plywood.

I also used to have a belt mounting binocular pouch from army disposals
rigged up as a handlebar bag.

All seemed to work OK but I got rid of it all once I got enough money to
get proper stuff.....

DeF

--
To reply, you'll need to remove your finger.
Old May 22nd 07, 09:17 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Zebee Johnstone

In aus.bicycle on Tue, 22 May 2007 20:51:57 +0800
DeF wrote:

I also used to have a belt mounting binocular pouch from army disposals
rigged up as a handlebar bag.

cheap backpacks can be rigged as panniers fairly easily. Work on
powered and unpowered two wheelers. Have to get creative with the
strapes so they don't get into the wheel, but it's not hard.

Did that for years with those khaki canvas small packs from army
disposals.

One of the sad things off life - bugger all real "army disposal" now.
Used to be lots of very solid and tough gear that cost little and
lasted forever. Now it's all cheap knockoffs, even the East German
stuff is all gone.

Zebee

Old May 23rd 07, 12:04 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Jules wrote:
I have some throw-over motorcycle panniers that were sitting in a
cupboard for a few years now, and it occurred to me that they might be
re-purposable.

I chucked them onto the rack, and with one occy strap, had a pretty
solid rig:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/z0s0/tags/touring/

Ah, the DriRider panniers? Mine accompanied me on a 19,000km round-
Australia motorcycle trip, and the only casualty was a plastic buckle
breaking in a fall.

They work well, but I haven't used them since then - I haven't needed
to carry that much luggage.

BTH

Old May 23rd 07, 12:08 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

cfsmtb wrote:
Jules Wrote:
Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
confident that's not a huge problem.

Be wary doing that, I've bent several rear axles via carrying heavy
stuff.

Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

BTH

Old May 24th 07, 03:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On May 23, 9:08 am, BT Humble wrote:
cfsmtb wrote:
Jules Wrote:
Only drawback I can see is that the mass in them sits a bit higher up
than regular bicycle panniers. Time will tell if that's a problem,
although having carted a slab of beer in a basket on the back, I'm
confident that's not a huge problem.

Be wary doing that, I've bent several rear axles via carrying heavy
stuff.

Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

We don't see many (any) broken or bent axles on modern bikes with
cassettes rather than the old screwons. I've carried 25kg of stuff on
the back of my MTB with me on it (combined weight of over 120kg at the
time) over very rough roads, no dramas.

Old May 24th 07, 04:22 AM posted to aus.bicycle
BT Humble

Bleve wrote:
On May 23, 9:08 am,BTHumble wrote:
Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

We don't see many (any) broken or bent axles on modern bikes with
cassettes rather than the old screwons. I've carried 25kg of stuff on
the back of my MTB with me on it (combined weight of over 120kg at the
time) over very rough roads, no dramas.

That's what I thought. I might have to build myself a new rear wheel
for the GVBR - anyone got a 27" aluminium rim they'd like to part
with?

BTH

Old May 24th 07, 05:11 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Bleve

On May 24, 1:22 pm, BT Humble wrote:
Bleve wrote:
On May 23, 9:08 am,BTHumble wrote:
Was that using a rear wheel with a screw-on freewheel, by any chance?
I was under the impression that bent axles weren't an issue if you had
a cluster-style rear hub, since both the bearings are located right
next to the dropouts intead of the RHS one being over an inch away
fromt he dropout underneath the cogs.

We don't see many (any) broken or bent axles on modern bikes with
cassettes rather than the old screwons. I've carried 25kg of stuff on
the back of my MTB with me on it (combined weight of over 120kg at the
time) over very rough roads, no dramas.

That's what I thought. I might have to build myself a new rear wheel
for the GVBR - anyone got a 27" aluminium rim they'd like to part
with?

Dozens, they're trashed through