Best camera for Unicycling action shots?

Old June 11th 08, 09:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patsandy100

Default Best camera for Unicycling action shots?

I basically want a good Still camera thats cheap yet has good quality
and a good Megapixel level. Mega pixels are Millions of pixels does
that mean the quality is going to be good if i get a 10 or even 12 mp
camera or is there a spec i should be looking at other than?

--
patsandy100

HIGH JUMP: 2 PALETS
*LONG JUMP: 1 metre*
PRACTICING: JUMPING HIGHER

dudewithasock wrote:
I own both the complete 7-disc soundtrack for Final Fantasy XI and the
soundtrack for World of Warcraft.

Old June 11th 08, 09:56 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

I wouldnt be asking for a certain camera for unicycling shots... Its
more the settings a camera is capable of having and the way in which
you use it.
Sorry, but in my opinion stupid question.

--
mill_mobile
Old June 11th 08, 10:06 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patsandy100

Well sorry mill. Ok I want a Camera. What should i buy that has a quick
response lense for sporting (like unicycling) and that takes good
outdoor pictures?

--
patsandy100

HIGH JUMP: *26 CM*
*LONG JUMP: 1 metre*
PRACTICING: JUMPING HIGHER

Old June 11th 08, 11:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Unisykolist

I've got a normal 5 megapixel digital camera and it works fine. If you
get a 7 megapixel camera I reckon that would be fine. It would cost
around 200-300 bucks depending on what you get. For a video camera i
found one for 400 bucks and it said "Great for youtube users!" and that
was in a catalogue, radio rentals I think, just go and ask a local
electronics store if your still not sure.

--
Unisykolist

'My Website' (www.unisykolist.piczo.com)
'Youtube Videos' (www.youtube.com/unisykolist)
Old June 11th 08, 11:27 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

patsandy100 wrote:
Well sorry mill. Ok I want a Camera. What should i buy that has a quick
response lense for sporting (like unicycling) and that takes good
outdoor pictures?

No need to apoligise dude, i wasnt trying to sound like a picky *******
- was just stating that you should look for features rather than try to
match a camera to a single sport!
I am no help on recommending a camera - i have a Canon Ixus 60 (i think
it is - i dont have it near me to look at the moment) and it does what i
want it too even though i dont really know how to mess round with all
its settings nor do i understand them all - i just know how to change a
few things.
No hate intended mate.

--
mill_mobile
Old June 11th 08, 11:30 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mill_mobile

Unisykolist wrote:
radio rentals I think, just go and ask a local electronics store if
your still not sure.

I wouldn't go to radio rentals or any camera shop to purchase as they
will always charge more - I'd go to a camera shop and just tell them
exactly what you want and let them help suss out a few options,
remember the serial number/models of them and then say your still
thinking about it, walk to DSE or JB-HIFI and save yourself a decent
amount off what the camera shop was charging and get the model you
want... That way you have sussed out the expertise of the camera store
and are also saving your cash

--
mill_mobile
Old June 11th 08, 05:12 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Megapixels these days are less important than good optics. What you want
is a fast lens and a camera that gets good details. For that you have to
read camera reviews. Two great sites (more info than you'll want to
know) are 'Steve's Digicams'
(http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html) and 'DP Review'
(http://www.dpreview.com/).

Adding more megapixels to an existing camera design often "slows" the
speed of the image sensor, because each "pixel" is tinier and needs
either more light, or more time to make the image. In a "cheap" camera,
anything over 8MP is probably more than you want.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old June 11th 08, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bondo

mill_mobile wrote:
I wouldn't go to radio rentals or any camera shop to purchase as they
will always charge more - I'd go to a camera shop and just tell them
exactly what you want and let them help suss out a few options,
remember the serial number/models of them and then say your still
thinking about it, walk to DSE or JB-HIFI and save yourself a decent
amount off what the camera shop was charging and get the model you
want... That way you have sussed out the expertise of the camera store
and are also saving your cash

Do not do this. Camara salesmen will tell you ANYTHING, They are the
last place to go for advice.

As a shutterbug who hangs out in multiple sport related forums and has
seen a million of these threads, the camera you want is a from the
*Canon A series*.

--
Bondo

As Seen on TV
Old June 12th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
patsandy100

Hi guys again, Ok Ive got some idea now on where to find what I need and
about the megapixels, But now what i am wondering about is zoom and
optical/digital zoom. What zoom should i be looking for?

--
patsandy100

HIGH JUMP: *26 CM*
*LONG JUMP: 1 metre*
PRACTICING: JUMPING HIGHER

Old June 12th 08, 03:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

patsandy100 wrote:
What zoom should i be looking for?

If you want speed, you don't want zoom. Less is better for a fast lens.
The more zoom range you have, generally the more light the lens needs
to take a given picture. You want one that can work with less light,
because that means it can use a faster shutter speed with the same
light.

Take Bondo's advice, look at Canon A series and read the specs to find
one you want. Lots of choices in the A's, but they're great for the
price.

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"

Lights Camera Action! Bill the Cat Australia 19 May 8th 08 08:14 AM
Helmet cam action camera for Mountain bike or road [email protected] General 0 April 24th 08 03:04 AM
police, camera, action 11:35pm tonight Adam Lea[_2_] UK 28 February 8th 08 11:12 PM
Now! Police camera action ITV elyob UK 6 October 9th 07 05:00 PM
First shots of KH/Schlumpf MUni in action olarf Unicycling 11 April 8th 06 04:44 AM