Shimano 515 SPD Problem

Old May 12th 05, 04:51 AM

Default Shimano 515 SPD Problem

Howdy folks. The mechanism on my fiance's pedals Shimano 515 pedals
is hanging up and making it really difficult to clip in and out. Its
only happening on the right pedal, but it occurs on both sides.

The problem goes like this:
Freshly lubed & adjusted pedal clips in fine the first time.
When unclipping, the catch on the rear of the pedal (the part that
moves, allowing release) hangs up on the "baseplate" (the part the
majority of the bottom of the cleat contacts, held to the pedal body
by 2 screws) and won't return. I tried cleaning/lubing and that
didn't fix it. Will higher tension force the mechanism closed?

She likes really light tension, but she's pretty cheap too, so if that
will fix it she'll get over tighter clips. Can I take a file to the
underside of the mechanism or the top/back of the baseplate to improve
clearance?

Thanks in advance.

Ted C.
Old May 12th 05, 01:51 PM
Bailes

Check that the cleat is not worn, most cyclist favor one foot and unclip
primarily on that side. I have also seen these the cleat interface wear
prematurely and will need to replace the pedals. Buy some Crank Bros a real
pedal system.

Old May 12th 05, 02:02 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Bailes wrote:
Check that the cleat is not worn, most cyclist favor one foot and unclip
primarily on that side. I have also seen these the cleat interface wear
prematurely and will need to replace the pedals. Buy some Crank Bros a real
pedal system.

Crank Brother cleats wearout faster than Shimano because they are brass,
but the pedal is definately an improvement.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old May 12th 05, 02:13 PM
Bailes

Better the cleats wearing out than the actual pedal I would have thought
mind you can;t give 515's away in our shop!

Old May 12th 05, 02:35 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Bailes wrote:
Better the cleats wearing out than the actual pedal I would have thought
mind you can;t give 515's away in our shop!

I agree, but CB should lower the price on the cleats or use stronger
material. I'm not worried about an extra 10 grams. I find they wear out
after 2 - 3 months of moderate use. At US$18 a set you are look at
US$72 - US$108 a year. That's more than I paid for the pedals to being
with (well at least the Candy C's).

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot (Still a Happy CB Candy User) o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old May 12th 05, 02:55 PM
Leo Lichtman

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote: Crank Brother cleats wearout faster than Shimano
because they are brass, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just checked the cleats that came with my Eggbeaters, and they stick to a
magnet. They're NOT bass--they're steel. They DO have a brassy looking
finish, though.

Old May 12th 05, 02:59 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Leo Lichtman wrote:
"Ride-A-Lot" wrote: Crank Brother cleats wearout faster than Shimano
because they are brass, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just checked the cleats that came with my Eggbeaters, and they stick to a
magnet. They're NOT bass--they're steel. They DO have a brassy looking
finish, though.

Then it must be a very soft alloy. Could it be brass mixed with some
steel? Whatever it is, it's soft.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old May 12th 05, 03:26 PM
Antti Salonen

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

Better the cleats wearing out than the actual pedal I would have thought
mind you can;t give 515's away in our shop!

I agree, but CB should lower the price on the cleats or use stronger
material. I'm not worried about an extra 10 grams. I find they wear out
after 2 - 3 months of moderate use. At US$18 a set you are look at
US$72 - US$108 a year. That's more than I paid for the pedals to being
with (well at least the Candy C's).

To my experience, the Eggbeaters had two major problems. As said, the
cleats wear out extremely fast. About 2000 km was enough to cause an
annoying amount of play. With my current mileage, that's less than a
month and a half of use.

I had 2002 model Eggbeaters and the bearings were absolutely awful.
Actually there's no bearing at all on the inside but a plastic bushing,
and there would soon be significant play between the spindle and the
pedal body. I used the pedals for almost ten thousand kilometres on my
road bike but eventually got tired of the hassle and switched back to
Shimano.

The basic Shimano pedals, like PD-M520, are much better quality than
the pedals from Crank Brothers at much lower price. If you want light
pedals, Speedplay Frogs are even lighter and a lot better made.

I'm sure the Eggbeaters have their advantages when riding offroad, though.

-as
Old May 12th 05, 04:27 PM
Boyle M. Owl

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
Leo Lichtman wrote:

"Ride-A-Lot" wrote: Crank Brother cleats wearout faster than Shimano
because they are brass, (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I just checked the cleats that came with my Eggbeaters, and they stick
to a magnet. They're NOT bass--they're steel. They DO have a brassy
looking finish, though.

Then it must be a very soft alloy. Could it be brass mixed with some
steel? Whatever it is, it's soft.

It's possible that the magnet he's using is sticking to the screws in
his shoe.

AFAICT, they're brass. Indeed, it's not a "brass finish" because the
color is consistent all the way through the cleat. It's meant to be
soft, because you have a choice, either wear the cleat out or wear the
pedal out, or both simultaneously.

I'll choose the cleat, thankyouverymuch.

My stainless eggbeaters are into their third year. What I have noticed
is that the spring has lost some of its oomph, and the free wing can
wiggle back and forth a few degrees. Still holds on to the cleat well,
though.

They've had some pretty good use, being used to commute every day.

--
BMO
Old May 12th 05, 05:16 PM
Peter Cole

Antti Salonen wrote:

The basic Shimano pedals, like PD-M520, are much better quality than
the pedals from Crank Brothers at much lower price. If you want light
pedals, Speedplay Frogs are even lighter and a lot better made.

I'm sure the Eggbeaters have their advantages when riding offroad, though.

I dunno, a friend shattered his lower leg in a twisting fall. He claimed
his EggBeaters didn't release, he's gone back to spuds. I've never had a
spud trap my foot, and I've taken a lot of falls.