Compact Aluminum Frames BAD???

Old June 2nd 05, 05:34 PM
abrown360

Default Compact Aluminum Frames BAD???

So I am shopping for a cheap road bike, and I came across a site that
basically says that Aluminum Compact bike frames suck.
http://www.nordicgroup.us/bikerec/

The site then goes on to recommend the older (pre 2005) Fuji League,
Bianchi Brava, and a couple of other cheaper Chro-Moly steel framed
bikes.

I do not want to spend more than 600 bucks on a bike, and I prefer
downtube shifters. However, I cannot find any Fuji Leagues from before
this year.

What do you people think about this whole Compact Aluminum business?
Should I really be worried about it? Why would someone say Aluminum
sucks if it is what most bikes today are made out of? What is the
deal???

Are there any low-end steel frame road bikes out there any more? With
non-compact geometry?

Help me rec.bicycles.misc, you're my only hope.

Old June 2nd 05, 05:59 PM
bryanska

I don't know nuthin' about this aloo-minn-eeyum biznatch.

However, Surly is a badass steel frame company. If the conclusion is
steel, you should look at Surly.

www.surlybikes.com

Old June 2nd 05, 06:26 PM
Booker C. Bense

In article .com,
abrown360 wrote:
So I am shopping for a cheap road bike, and I came across a site that
basically says that Aluminum Compact bike frames suck.
http://www.nordicgroup.us/bikerec/

_ That's one person's opinion. I prefer steel bikes, but I think he
goes overboard. A bike that fits is way more important than what
it's made from. The bit about threadless headset is pure crap
IMHO. The only thing wrong with threadless headsets is that some
shops cut the forks too low to make the bikes look good in the
showroom. The design has many things to recommend it.

_ He's ranting against the material, when the real problem is the
design. Most AL compact frame bicycles are detuned racing
machines and come with set up that doesn't make a lot of sense
for the average person that just wants to ride a bike. The
mini-boom in road bikes is causing manufacturers to come to their
senses and you can now find some pretty nice AL bikes.

The site then goes on to recommend the older (pre 2005) Fuji League,
Bianchi Brava, and a couple of other cheaper Chro-Moly steel framed
bikes.

I do not want to spend more than 600 bucks on a bike, and I prefer
downtube shifters. However, I cannot find any Fuji Leagues from before
this year.

_ Jamis makes some fine steel bikes close to that price range.

What do you people think about this whole Compact Aluminum business?
Should I really be worried about it? Why would someone say Aluminum
sucks if it is what most bikes today are made out of? What is the
deal???

_ The deal is the aluminum is cheaper, lighter and sells better. Since
most bikes in the USA are parked in the garage after a few
hundred miles, rather than ridden, long term durablity is not
a selling point. Any reasonably well made AL bike will last you
at least 20 or 30 K miles and probably much more, very few bikes
sold ever get anywhere near that mileage.

Are there any low-end steel frame road bikes out there any more? With
non-compact geometry?

_ Sure, lot's, not many at that price level though. However, if I
found an aluminum bike that fit well and I liked, I'd buy it if
the price was right. If the bike doesn't fit well you won't ride
it long enough to wear out the aluminum frame and if it does the
components will likely wear out first.

_ Booker C. Bense

Old June 2nd 05, 06:37 PM
Pat Lamb

abrown360 wrote:
So I am shopping for a cheap road bike, and I came across a site that
basically says that Aluminum Compact bike frames suck.
http://www.nordicgroup.us/bikerec/

This is a personal site from a person who has, erm, strongly held
individual positions that may or may not intersect with r.b.m.
consensus, should there be such a thing.

I do not want to spend more than 600 bucks on a bike, and I prefer
downtube shifters. However, I cannot find any Fuji Leagues from before
this year.

Without paying much attention to the Fuji Leagues business, a $600 road
bike is going to be difficult to find in current production. I think
the road bike market starts around $800 this year. You'll have more
luck if you can find a close-out of a prior year's model, which may
require waiting until later this summer.

What do you people think about this whole Compact Aluminum business?
Should I really be worried about it? Why would someone say Aluminum
sucks if it is what most bikes today are made out of? What is the
deal???

You want a bike that fits, from a dealer who knows what he's doing and
will treat you well. Compact frames are cheaper for a dealer, because
there are fewer sizes. That makes it even more imperative to find a
good dealer, because it's unlikely the bike will fit you well right out
of the box. Expect a fitting session, and probably a stem swap, before
you get it to fit.

About the aluminum business, consider the source.

Are there any low-end steel frame road bikes out there any more? With
non-compact geometry?

Yes, especially if you go with a touring bike, which has less extreme
geometry, is more versatile, should be ridden by everyone who is not
planning on racing, and is my personal choice.

Pat
Old June 2nd 05, 06:53 PM
Steven M. Scharf

"abrown360" wrote in message
oups.com...

snip

What do you people think about this whole Compact Aluminum business?

That's my web site, so I'll comment.

These are really two separate issues.

Compact frames should be avoided, for most people. They were created solely
to enable bicycle manufacturers to have less different sizes of frames,
though some companies market them as if they have some advantage to the
rider--they rarely do. With a smaller frame, but more adjustability range of
handlebars and seats, you can fit more people onto a smaller number of frame
sizes, but of course they don't fit real well! It reminds me of the old
Midas commercial for mufflers where they spoof their competitors, "Fit?
We'll MAKE IT FIT!" and they proceed to add all sorts of pipes, adapters,
etc., to get the only muffler they sell to fit the vehicle.

"Sizing and Fitting a customer properly to a road bike has also become a
lost art. With less and less biking knowledge and experience being available
to the consumer at the retail level, many companies "force" certain ideas or
components to make it easier on the retailer to sell or service
items...COMPACT frame geometry makes it easier to sell someone the correct
size COMPACT BIKE.but this is more about guesswork than a full working
knowledge of how a rider is supposed to fit onto his or her bicycle."

As far as alumimum goes, the issue is more of longevity, and repairability,
but most road frames are aluminum these days, other than the very high end,
and a few lower-end models like the Bianchi Brava. An aluminum frame is
okay, and if you eliminate all aluminum frames, your choices are very small,
unless you go to the very high end.

If you buy a model with a threadless headset, be especially careful that the
shop, or the manufacturer, did not cut the steer tube too short (this is a
very, very, common problem).

For $600, the Bianchi Brava is probably your best bet. It has a non-compact
steel frame, with a threaded headset. However it doesn't have downtube
shifters. Downtube shifters are extremely rare these days.

In summary, don't worry a lot about aluminum, it's not the optimal frame
material, but it's cheap and light, and durable enough. But avoid compact
frames like the plague.

Glad to see that you found that web site (the other URL for it is
http://bicycleshortlist.com).

Old June 2nd 05, 07:02 PM
Bill Sornson

Steven M. Scharf wrote:

Compact frames should be avoided, for most people.

{bunch of similar opinionated bs snipped}

In summary, don't worry a lot about aluminum, it's not the optimal
frame material, but it's cheap and light, and durable enough. But
avoid compact frames like the plague.

Gee, I wish I'd known this before buying my Klein Q-carbon Team and putting
about 7500 miles on it with virtually no problems whatsoever.

Looks good; feels good; rides fine... (no) BS

Old June 2nd 05, 07:09 PM
abrown360

People. Stop saying each other are too opinionated. I really need info
here, not squabbling over what is better, and whether opinions matter
or not...

Old June 2nd 05, 07:16 PM
Booker C. Bense

Old June 2nd 05, 07:17 PM
Bill Sornson

abrown360 wrote:
People. Stop saying each other are too opinionated. I really need info
here, not squabbling over what is better, and whether opinions matter
or not...

You got all twisted up BECAUSE YOU READ AN OPINION. (Hint: there are MANY
of them.)

Go to some bike shops. Take some test rides. Buy the bike that feels right
/to you/.

Better?

/bs

Old June 2nd 05, 07:22 PM