Helmets

Old May 24th 05, 10:21 AM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On 23 May 2005 16:20:12 -0700, "Will"
wrote in message
.com:

How fast do you think you go decending even a small hill?

Up to 50mph. But I travel feet first.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old May 24th 05, 11:18 AM
Peter Keller

On Mon, 23 May 2005 12:11:56 -0500, catzz66 wrote:

Will wrote:

Having been over the bars and headfirst onto asphalt in the good old
days before helmets (my sewup peeled and lodged in the fork), I would
strongly urge you not to find out the HARD way. Believe me, road rash
does not compare.

Will

I'm with you, Will. I recently fell hard. The side of my head slapped
the pavement hard enough to groove and dent the helmet. I had a sore
neck for a few days, but otherwise came through with no head injury.

I have done that also. Straight over the handlebars, onto my head. Same
result as you. The only difference was, I wasn't wearing a helmet.

Peter

--
If you are careful enough in life, nothing bad -- or
good -- will ever happen to you.

Old May 24th 05, 01:00 PM
catzz66

Peter Keller wrote:

I'm with you, Will. I recently fell hard. The side of my head slapped
the pavement hard enough to groove and dent the helmet. I had a sore
neck for a few days, but otherwise came through with no head injury.

I have done that also. Straight over the handlebars, onto my head. Same
result as you. The only difference was, I wasn't wearing a helmet.

I know a lot of people feel real strongly one way or the other. All I
know is what happened to me and the way I landed, the side of my head
slapped the pavement. I had road rash on my ear and a gouged up helmet,
but it definitely made a difference for me. Maybe helmets only help in
one out of (whatever) accidents, but this was one time it helped.
Old May 24th 05, 02:20 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Tue, 24 May 2005 07:00:35 -0500, catzz66
wrote in message
:

I know a lot of people feel real strongly one way or the other. All I
know is what happened to me and the way I landed, the side of my head
slapped the pavement. I had road rash on my ear and a gouged up helmet,
but it definitely made a difference for me. Maybe helmets only help in
one out of (whatever) accidents, but this was one time it helped.

The thing is, you don't know what the helmet prevented. In your case
it probably prevented a superficial scalp injury (which could arguably
have been prevented by any decent hat) and possibly concussion, which
is unpleasant but rarely life threatening.

Several people here have had collisions superficially similar to yours
and survived, with symptoms no worse than I described.

If you think it's worth the discomfort and inconvenience of wearing a
helmet all the time to prevent a once-in-several-years incidence of
pain, then feel free.

Old May 24th 05, 02:42 PM
H M Leary

In article elvke.1458745$Xk.475461@pd7tw3no,
"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote:

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Too many people admit loving their cars more than their kids

If I had a kid I would trade it for a Audi A6 any day.

Ah come on Fabs!

Trade the kid for a Ferrari!.... at least.

Audi = all useless dumb idiots

HAND
Old May 24th 05, 03:20 PM
Bob Burns

I used to think that- until I flipped over a cable I didn't see and landed
on my helmet! I replaced it.

--
Bob Burns
Mill Hall PA

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
So don't bother. Cycling head injuries are rare, helmets are not
proven to prevent any meaningful proportion of serious injuries, and
there are very few "old, bold bikers" - you are probably sufficiently
skilled and risk averse to avoid a crash in the first place.

Relax and enjoy the ride :-)

Guy

I was going to say that, but I thought I would be lynched. I never wear
a helmet when I am cycling around town. I am not a daredevil, I am
usually in a park, the only times I have been hurt so far was while
"walking in front of a cyclist" and at a "rest stop".

IMO - A person who rides like me, usually does not fall on their head.
It is usually a leg scrap for something. Unless this gentleman is into
riding in alot of traffic or pushing himself to the limit....I think he
can get away without a helmet to give him a comfortable ride. I bought
a helmet for the charity ride, if I had not needed it, I probably still
would not have one.
Maggie

Old May 24th 05, 03:31 PM
catzz66

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

If you think it's worth the discomfort and inconvenience of wearing a
helmet all the time to prevent a once-in-several-years incidence of
pain, then feel free.

It's your head. You can do what you want.
Old May 24th 05, 04:33 PM

Marty wrote:

Frank does your car have a spike on the steering wheel?

No, but I drive like it does!

- Frank Krygowski

Old May 24th 05, 05:32 PM
gds

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
Actually as far as I can see the major difference is not between

helmeted and unhelmeted cyclists, but between those who are risk
averse (and hence usually wear helmets) and those who are not. My
guess is that the OP will fit into the risk-averse category.

Guy

Not really. I think the difference is more like between folks who want
to manage risk and those that are less inclined.
In my own case I participate in activities with far more objective risk
than cycling. For example, back country trad rock climbing. A big part
of the fun of that is that one is able to manage and thus to a large
extent mitigate some very real risk.

To me helmets accomplish just that- the management and mitigation of
risk. However, it seems that the discussions on the subject take on the
air of religious arguments. Folks hold very strong beliefs and thus few
ever change their opinion.

Take aside the issue of compulsory use-which changes the argument from
safety to civil rights. How can it be seriously argued that helmets
"add no additional safety margin." Since many of us have first hand
experience with situations where helmets have prevented or lessened
injury there are at least some excamples. And I have yet to hear a
credible story of a modern helmet causing an injury. So, forget arguing
over the statistical merit of the studies. It may well be that they are
flawed. But that argument is only over how effective helmets might be-
not really over the more simple question "do they provide any marginal
safety."

Old May 24th 05, 07:30 PM
Mike Latondresse

"Fabrizio Mazzoleni" wrote in

"Zoot Katz" wrote in message
Too many people admit loving their cars more than their kids

If I had a kid I would trade it for a Audi A6 any day.

How about an A4?