Any Muni rider around Aberdeen, Scotland?

Old November 27th 07, 10:13 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jogi

Default Any Muni rider around Aberdeen, Scotland?

Hey Teddy, hey Joe

Thanks a lot for these really good links.
Of cause muni suitable munros are not the most interesting ones...
My next favourite Munro is the Liathach massive....but i think there
is neither a way up, nor down by muni...
but for my first munro by muni it dosnīt matter I would even try in
fog.
I īve had only two times good sight on a top, all other we startet with
sun, on top the sight in the clouds was between 10 and 20 meters and
down again we saw the summits in bright sun....thats life...

and Teddy, I very intersted to ride with you around Aberdeen up and
down wherever you want...
On whitch route do you ascent Lochnagar?

Jogi

--
jogi
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 29th 07, 02:00 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gonzo

Jogi,

No problem to muni with me around Aberdeen, that would be great - just
let me know when you are around. Or we can plan a specific date if it
helps - I am in Aberdeen pretty much all year round (where do you
live??).
For Lochnaggar, it is hard to describe, but I will try: I leave from
the car park and once I reach Loch Muick (or a bit earlier?), there is
a path going right (towards the Spittal of Glenmuick I think). I take
that one, then I do not take the wide forest track that cross the path,
but I rather continue almost straight, slightly to the left. Then it
keeps going up until you get to the summit.
For the way down, there are 2 options: either head back the same way or
do a loop that gets you back to Loch Muick more or less in the middle
of its length.
Do not know if that made sense to you... I have not found a detailed
map of the area on the web - a pretty coarse one from
www.munromagic.com.

Teddy

--
gonzo
http://www.usenet.com
Old January 8th 09, 05:54 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hamtfs

Teddy,

I see from your profile that you're an aberdeen Municyclist. I'm
starting to learn Muniing and was looking for some advice, from a local,
as to where is good for a beginner.

I have a mountain bike so know all the usual spots like Pitfichie,
Krkhill, Tyrebagger but was keen to get some advice as to which are good
for Muni.

I just got my first Muni, as a present from santa (I must have been a
very good boy this year ), and was hoping you could offer some
recomendations.

Cheers
Hamish

--
hamtfs
Old January 8th 09, 06:36 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gonzo

Hamish,

That was an excellent idea from whomever offered you the muni!
There are lots of good places you can try right now. The ones you
mentioned are the ones I typically go to, here are a few comments:
- Pitfichie: the long smooth trail that runs around the hill might be a
good starting point as it is pretty smooth yet will challenge your
balance. The area is not so good once you are confortable with smooth
hilly trails because you have no option between these easy trails and
the really difficult MTB downhills there.
- Kirkhill: much more versatile: if you stick to the large smooth
trails and avoid the singletracks, you should be fine right from the
start. It is a great area to learn because you can build up the
difficulties very progressively if you want to. That was my main
playground when I started going offroad (and still is).
- Tyrebagger: I find it very rooty and rocky, so not the best to start
with I think (but I don't know all the trails).
- Scolty Hill (near Banchory): probably similar to Pitfichie: either
large, smooth forest tracks or very technical downhill with drops, etc.
Not ideal for now...

So, Kirkhill would be my recommendation because you can really pick and
choose whatever difficulty you fancy.
In any case, you might be surprised by your ability to ride offroad: i
think it is easier than it looks and progress comes really fast at the
beginning.

By the way, what uni did you get? We should try and meet up soon. I
don't mind if you are still learning: I have never ridden with any other
unicyclist before, so I am really keen to meet one in my area!

Teddy

--
gonzo
Old January 8th 09, 07:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
hamtfs

Teddy,

I got a Nimbus 24" so I think all the subtle hints I dropped in the
months before xmas must have stuck. What Muni do you have?

Cheers for the info and I think I will probably try some of Kirkhill
first, trying to keep away from the fun-park. Out of curiosity have you
ever tried riding Bennachie, i've always thought it's a good mix of
forest trails and proper up/downhill but I know if you go on a MTB the
walkers are not too happy.

Is it in Aberdeen itself that you stay or out in the 'shire? The only
time I've ever been riding with other unicyclists was when both me and
my dad were learning so it would be good to see what you're up to whilst
out on the one-wheel.

Hamish

--
hamtfs
Old January 9th 09, 12:29 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
gonzo

Hamish,

I did try Bennachie - there are some good trails indeed, I need to go
back as it was too windy last time I went to really enjoy it... Usually
people smile at you when they see you on a unicycle, so I don't think
they will mind at all - and in addition, on a uni, you don't go nearly
as fast as on a MTB.
I live in Aberdeen city - let's switch to PMs for further discussions
as I don't think this is of much interest to the others. Check your
box!

PS: I have a 24" and a 29" (KH)

Teddy

--
gonzo

LOS ANGELES MUNI RIDER CASTING CALL for 2/14 pays $2,400 The Munieer Unicycling 68 July 8th 07 10:10 AM
muni rider wanted DK Unicycling 2 March 22nd 06 11:12 PM
Muni rider in the South East of England wanted rogeratunicycledotcom Unicycling 13 July 14th 05 08:52 AM
MUni helps non Rider Brian MacKenzie Unicycling 11 September 6th 04 06:51 PM
aberdeen wheelbuilder sought james UK 2 August 28th 04 10:10 AM