Protective Gear for Ribs

Old May 22nd 04, 12:21 AM
HKEK

Default Protective Gear for Ribs

I've broken ribs twice now. Once, from a fall on a rock striking me in
the back, and now a fall on a rock that struck me in the side.

What type of protection is available to protect the back, front, and
SIDES of the torso against such mishaps?

Old May 22nd 04, 02:25 AM
Charles Beristain

A roost protector should do the trick. I used one when I had a broken
acromion bone that required a plate and screws. After it was fully
healed, I ditched the armor.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/reviews/products/roost2/

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...oost+protector

charlie

Old May 24th 04, 08:10 PM
HKEK

What does "roost protector" mean anyway?

Do you think a hardshell is necessary to protect the ribs (and spine)
from the rocks? Originally I was thinking of the SixSixOne Straight
Jacket:

http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/armo...ghtjacket.html

Or the SixSixOne Race Jacket:

http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/armor_racejacket.html

But they also make a roost protector:

http://www.vsportgroup.com/gear/armor_defender.html

I'm not really sure for what the Straight Jacket and the Race Jacket
are really appropriate. The Defender (and the Fox product that you
suggest) seem to be good for motor sports. Not sure how comfortable
these will be for MTB. I would like to wear this gear for every ride
where there are rocks and sticks.

I suppose that may be the dilemma: those that are truly effective are
not comfortable and thus do not get worn, those that are comfortable
are not truly effective.

Old May 25th 04, 02:05 AM
Charles Beristain

On 24 May 2004 19:10:01 GMT, (HKEK) wrote:

What does "roost protector" mean anyway?

in motocross... the rear tire spits up lots of dirt and rocks...
called "roost" ... and they wear the roost protector to protect their
bodies from that stuff..

Do you think a hardshell is necessary to protect the ribs (and spine)
from the rocks? Originally I was thinking of the SixSixOne Straight
Jacket:

that looks good.... but the fox has much better shoulder protection

charlie