bike riding & impotence?

Old April 4th 06, 03:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default bike riding & impotence?

hi guys,
i came across an article by the so called irwin goldstein, who is a
famous urologist and this stuff is all over the internet. the subject
of debate is about bike seats, the pressure it applies on the penile
areas due to prolonged activity, and impotence supposedly caused by
this. one such article is here :
http://www.journalhome.com/mynetpharma/18751/

though i have no reason whatsoever to throw away my bike away everytime
one of these articles gets printed...i was wondering what people on the
forum think. i've had occasional numbness from riding too long, but
does that mean i should fear impotence?
is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Old April 4th 06, 04:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Oh No Not Again

Old April 4th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

bicycle_disciple wrote:

does that mean i should fear impotence?
is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.
Old April 4th 06, 05:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Diablo Scott" wrote in message
bicycle_disciple wrote:

does that mean i should fear impotence?
is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.

And stress-relieve your spokes!

(Wow, there's a euphemism if I've heard one)

Old April 4th 06, 06:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Diablo Scott wrote:
bicycle_disciple wrote:

does that mean i should fear impotence?
is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.

Family newsgroup, buddy.

Bill "OK, it's expected" S.

Old April 4th 06, 07:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Diablo Scott wrote:
bicycle_disciple wrote:

does that mean i should fear impotence?
is there a sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Not if you wear a helmet, ride sew-ups, and grease your BB spindle.

It helps if you use bar-end shifters and a 24 spoke rear wheel with those.

--
Dane Buson -
There may be said to be two classes of people in the world; those who constantly
Old April 4th 06, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

In article . com,
"bicycle_disciple" wrote:

hi guys, i came across an article by the so called irwin goldstein,
who is a famous urologist and this stuff is all over the internet.
the subject of debate is about bike seats, the pressure it applies on
the penile areas due to prolonged activity, and impotence supposedly
caused by this. one such article is here :
http://www.journalhome.com/mynetpharma/18751/

though i have no reason whatsoever to throw away my bike away
everytime one of these articles gets printed...i was wondering what
people on the forum think. i've had occasional numbness from riding
too long, but does that mean i should fear impotence? is there a
sound scientific basis behind bike seats and ED?

Goldstein is considered an alarmist out trying to get himself some
publicity by a lot of people. What little research there is has not
supported the claim that cycling is closely tied to impotence, in fact
IIRC one study indicated that frequent cyclists are less likely to have
erectile dysfunction than the general male population.

Anecdotally, in about 40 years of riding a bike lots I have yet to have
this problem.
Old April 4th 06, 07:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

Anecdotally, in about 40 years of riding a bike lots I have yet to have
this problem.

Braggart.

Old April 4th 06, 08:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hank Wirtz wrote:

"Tim McNamara" wrote in message

Anecdotally, in about 40 years of riding a bike lots I have yet to have
this problem.

Braggart.

Maybe not. Lack of problems can also imply lack of use.