Look, Ma. No hands!

Old August 8th 04, 02:34 AM
Henry

Default Look, Ma. No hands!

Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

Old August 8th 04, 04:32 AM
Mark Leuck

"Henry" wrote in message
Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

2 years ago I saw a guy on a home-built low rider do it but I've yet to test
a recumbent that can, I'm sure they exist tho somewhere

Old August 8th 04, 09:22 PM
Perry Templeton

Well, I did it once when I had a wasp hung up in my helmet strap.
Perry

Old August 8th 04, 09:25 PM
RWM

"Henry" wrote in message
Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

Nope, you da baddest recumbent rider out there

Old August 9th 04, 12:56 AM
Child

"Henry" wrote in message
Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

I try, and fail.

Old August 9th 04, 01:26 AM
Banjopikr1

Look, Ma. No hands!

I have a BikeE AT. Can't ride no hands in stock form. I changed the fork to a
straight fork. Changed the steering geometry and made the bike much better
handling at slo speeds. No hands are possible too.
Old August 9th 04, 09:21 AM
Torben Scheel

Henry wrote:
Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but
I've seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other
bike. Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

All the time. I even lerned to ride it w.o. hands, but recently I put
handlebars on : http://www.scheel.net/HPV/Python/default.asp

I *think* some bad a** trikers can do it too ;-)

Regards,
Torben

Old August 9th 04, 10:21 PM
Hillel

"Henry" wrote in message ...
Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but I've
seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other bike.
Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

It's easy to do only when you are not thinking about it.
Like flying in "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy". :-)
Old August 10th 04, 11:15 AM
Dave Larrington

Henry wrote:

Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but
I've seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other
bike. Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

I've managed it on a Kestrel and Kingcycle K2, (both FWD low racers) and can
freewheel short distances hands-off on my Speedmachine. A lot depends on
the bike; it was widely held that it is impossible to ride a Kingcycle
hands-off, until last Sunday when a Several of witnesses observed Kaite
Sidwell doing just that. Being 13, and thus knowing no fear, probably
helped.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old August 10th 04, 10:53 PM
James

"Dave Larrington" wrote in message ...
Henry wrote:

Everyone I've talked to says you can't ride bents with no hands but
I've seen it done and it seems to me they handle just like any other
bike. Anyone else crazy enough to try it?

I've managed it on a Kestrel and Kingcycle K2, (both FWD low racers) and can
freewheel short distances hands-off on my Speedmachine. A lot depends on
the bike; it was widely held that it is impossible to ride a Kingcycle
hands-off, until last Sunday when a Several of witnesses observed Kaite
Sidwell doing just that. Being 13, and thus knowing no fear, probably
helped.

Rans Rocket can be cycled WITHOUT hands, spinning or coasting. Great
little bike. Probably the most fun recumbent I've ever owned and I've
owned a bunch.

James Ossa.