Ride To Work Day - 8th October '03

Old September 16th 03, 06:46 AM
hippy

Default Ride To Work Day - 8th October '03

So is anyone going to try and rope their
workmates into riding to work for BV's
Ride to Work Day?
Has anyone tried in previous years?
How did it go? Many participants?
Have you attended the Melbourne city
breakfast thing?
Do newbies actually start commuting
as a result of this, or is it just the hardcore
commuters that go in for free food?

hippy
"Free?!? Oh man, I am so there!!! :-)

Old September 16th 03, 12:06 PM
Tim Jones

"hippy" wrote in message
So is anyone going to try and rope their
workmates into riding to work for BV's
Ride to Work Day?
Has anyone tried in previous years?
How did it go? Many participants?
Have you attended the Melbourne city
breakfast thing?
Do newbies actually start commuting
as a result of this, or is it just the hardcore
commuters that go in for free food?

I had a workmate that lives near me do it one year - never again, ended up
taking twice as long to get to work!

I did go for the free feed one year however.

Tim

Old September 16th 03, 12:32 PM
K&C Russell

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...

"hippy" wrote in message
So is anyone going to try and rope their
workmates into riding to work for BV's
Ride to Work Day?
Has anyone tried in previous years?
How did it go? Many participants?
Have you attended the Melbourne city
breakfast thing?
Do newbies actually start commuting
as a result of this, or is it just the hardcore
commuters that go in for free food?

I had a workmate that lives near me do it one year - never again, ended up
taking twice as long to get to work!

I did go for the free feed one year however.

Tim

Hi Tim,
I had a similar experience I once took the car and I reckon it took me twice
as long too, and I got no free breakfast. I won't do that again ;-)

Kevin

Old September 16th 03, 12:41 PM
NickZX6R

hippy wrote:
So is anyone going to try and rope their
workmates into riding to work for BV's
Ride to Work Day?
Has anyone tried in previous years?
How did it go? Many participants?
Have you attended the Melbourne city
breakfast thing?
Do newbies actually start commuting
as a result of this, or is it just the hardcore
commuters that go in for free food?

hippy
"Free?!? Oh man, I am so there!!! :-)

I used to work at Southbank so it was on my way to work.
Since I rode everyday anyway there was no reason I could think
of not to stop and stuff as many free muesli bars/yoghurts/whatever
into my bag as possible, and get a free massage (or two if you can sweet
talk them .

The few times I went there seemed to be plenty of people who didn't
look like regular commuters to me. Also, if you don't get in reasonably
early you find the good food's all gone and there's a long wait
for the massages.

At the time, there were a few of us that rode every day to work and it
was pretty much a free food novelty. If you already commute regularly
then the food and massage is the only reason to stop by. In fact, for me,
the food was a bit crappy but a free massage should never be refused

Last time I did it there must've been at least a couple of hundred people.

Cheers.
-Nick

Old September 16th 03, 03:02 PM
Tim Jones

"K&C Russell" wrote in message
. ..

"Tim Jones" wrote in message
. au...

"hippy" wrote in message
So is anyone going to try and rope their
workmates into riding to work for BV's
Ride to Work Day?
Has anyone tried in previous years?
How did it go? Many participants?
Have you attended the Melbourne city
breakfast thing?
Do newbies actually start commuting
as a result of this, or is it just the hardcore
commuters that go in for free food?

I had a workmate that lives near me do it one year - never again, ended

up
taking twice as long to get to work!

I did go for the free feed one year however.

Tim

Hi Tim,
I had a similar experience I once took the car and I reckon it took me

twice
as long too, and I got no free breakfast. I won't do that again ;-)

Sorry, I meant that it took me twice as long to ride to work as normal
(comuting) as he was slow, not that I ever drive into the city - heaven
forbid!

Kevin

Tim

Old September 17th 03, 12:50 AM
hippy

"NickZX6R" wrote in message
At the time, there were a few of us that rode every day to work and it
was pretty much a free food novelty. If you already commute regularly
then the food and massage is the only reason to stop by. In fact, for

me,
the food was a bit crappy but a free massage should never be refused

Well my commute is ~1hr each way, daily and I've been doubling that
when I visit my girlfriend - all of this on the singlespeed mtb (with
knobs ;-P).
Another 5k into the city for free stuff isn't going to trouble me! :-)
I need a massage right now though.. 2hrs on the SS this morning into
a strong headwind after the same distance last night.. me sore!

hippy