Help with MTB cassette and cogs

Old January 6th 09, 11:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chuck Anderson[_2_]

Default Help with MTB cassette and cogs

For several years I've been riding my MTB (Bridgestone MB-1) on mountain
roads (paved) using a 7 speed cassette (Shimano HG70 13-30, for the most
part). I substituted a 12 tooth cog for the 13 the last go around and
it works fine. I've grown very accustomed to the 12-30 (or 13-30) range
of gears on my climbs - about all I do .... ... and descend, of course.
(front: 24, 28, 38 - rear: 30,26,23,20,17,15,12)

Anyway, I seem to wear one of these out (no longer works with a new
chain) about every 12 - 18 months. That is, certain cogs (23 and 20) I
use often while climbing wear out (as well as my middle - oft used - 28
tooth chain ring).

I'm ready to buy another (and start replacing my chain a LOT more
often?) and thought I'd pause and examine my choice.

The price suits me, but is there something (reasonable in price - same
approximate gears) that will truly last last longer?

The Shimano HG70 13-30 seems to be getting harder and harder to find, so
I'm also concerned that next time, I'll not be able to find one.

And another thing. Is there a place where I can purchase single cogs?
It seems such a waste to throw out the entire cassette when replacing 2
or 3 worn cogs would accomplish the same thing. The best I've come up
with is asking bike repair shops if they have anything in the junk bin I
could use (how I got my last 12 tooth cog).

--
*****************************
Chuck Anderson • Boulder, CO

Old January 7th 09, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Jan 6, 3:42*pm, Chuck Anderson
wrote:
[...]

You can make your cassette and chainring last longer by measuring
chain stretch and replacing your chain when you see any. How to
measure chain stretch can start an entire debate in itself but I use a
simple $2 tool that is inserted in the chain, puts tension on a few
links and measures them. If I find any stretch at all (instead of
stretch less than X amount) I replace the chain.

On my road bikes I get a couple thousand miles out of a chain, less
offroad. I haven't worn out a cog or chainring in years. I ride
6-10K miles / year.

I buy the cheapest Shimano or SRAM chain. The expensive ones wear at
the same rate, they only look nicer.

Speaking only from my own experience,
Tom
Old January 7th 09, 05:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:42:10 -0700, Chuck Anderson
wrote:

[...]

Dear Chuck,

http://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...3589688248 43

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/k7.html#sprockets

http://harriscyclery.net/itemdetails.cfm?id=800

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 7th 09, 05:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Banned

On Jan 6, 4:42*pm, Chuck Anderson
wrote:
[...]

Yes, change your chain more often. A 7/8s chain is about $15 at
Vecchio's. If you ride by any day we are open we'd be happy to measure
it. PLUS sure, you can rummage around in our cog box behind the shop
any time you wish.

HG-70 have been discontinued by shimano altho some are probably still
'out there'. HG50 in 13-30/7s still made and not expensive. Another
option is a sram 12-32/7s, about the same $ as the HG-50.
Old January 8th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chuck Anderson[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Lots of good information there, thanks.

Before all my riding was climbing, the rule of thumb that worked for me
was to change my chain every 1000 miles. It seems that it's
significantly less when when doing a LOT of uphill riding.

2009 resolution: I will change my chain every 3 months.

I've found an HG70 online (and cheap - only $22 - maybe I should get two).

The SRAM also looks like a good option. I may try one of those.

What's up with the HG50's being black? Is it lesser quality material
(less durability)?

And thanks for the offer on the cog box. I may need a new 12 (although
I rarely put any torque into that gear anymore ...... we'll see.) I'm
going to keep what I have on there now through the rest of the worst
part of the winter. I already know I'll be needing a cassette, and a
new middle chain ring - so no hurries.

--
*****************************

Old January 8th 09, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chuck Anderson[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the pointer to the loosescrews site (I didn't realize Harris
Cyclery sold cogs, either.)
Good resource.

--
*****************************

Old January 8th 09, 07:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Sherman[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

What is wrong with holding a ruler up to the chain, and changing it when
24 links measure more than 12-1/16 inch?

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
LOCAL CACTUS EATS CYCLIST - datakoll
Old January 9th 09, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chuck Anderson[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Nothing. Just deciding how often to bother.

--