Winter bike wear for roundlings

Old October 25th 04, 08:06 AM
geemike

Default Winter bike wear for roundlings

A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

I've built myself into relatively nice riding condition this
summer/fall and don't want to stop riding with the onset of cold
weather. Are there any bike wear companies that make stuff that
might fit me? I'm 5'5", 225 lbs.

I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
cover my legs has been impossible.

BTW, I'm a roadie on a MTB, riding in Salt Lake City.

Mike G

Old October 25th 04, 08:41 AM
Mr_Kingkillaha

geemike Wrote:
A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.
I've built myself into relatively nice riding condition this
summer/fall and don't want to stop riding with the onset of cold
weather. Are there any bike wear companies that make stuff that
might fit me? I'm 5'5", 225 lbs.
I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
cover my legs has been impossible.
BTW, I'm a roadie on a MTB, riding in Salt Lake City.
Mike G

I know its not the cool roadie thing to do, but i wear jeans. Just roll
up the right leg to keep it out of the chain. If it is really cold I
will wear my shinguards. It may not be super efficient, but my legs
don't get cold.
I ride MTB, but with it raining all the time, i am now riding on the
street alot (in SLC also). When the snow starts falling, I will add
those thermal undrwear pants under my jeans. It is suprising how warm
you can stay while biking.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old October 25th 04, 11:34 AM
Ride-A-Lot

geemike wrote:
A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

I've built myself into relatively nice riding condition this
summer/fall and don't want to stop riding with the onset of cold
weather. Are there any bike wear companies that make stuff that
might fit me? I'm 5'5", 225 lbs.

I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
cover my legs has been impossible.

BTW, I'm a roadie on a MTB, riding in Salt Lake City.

Mike G

Mike,

5'5" / 225? Did you make a typo there? I am 5'5" and was almost 190
last year (now 145) and that was quite out of shape for my height.

You could use leg warmers for the cold weather.

http://tinyurl.com/5gg2b

Keep up the riding and cut your food by 1/4. You'll loose the weight.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old October 25th 04, 01:50 PM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
cover my legs has been impossible.

Cargo pants. Tuck the cuffs into sox. Add kneepads underneath if the knees
are still getting cold. I've got some short gaiters that I use when cutting
brush and I'm going to try them as an alternative to tucking the cuffs into the
sox.
--
PeteCresswell
Old October 25th 04, 05:04 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

geemike wrote:
A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

Your buddy is an idiot.

I've built myself into relatively nice riding condition this
summer/fall and don't want to stop riding with the onset of cold
weather. Are there any bike wear companies that make stuff that
might fit me? I'm 5'5", 225 lbs.

Visit some bike shops and try stuff on.

I can fit the extra large roadie jackets, but finding something to
cover my legs has been impossible.

Are you wearing bike shorts (either Spandex or baggies) now? Look in to
getting some knee warmers and/or leg warmers. Some brands come in sizes, so
the largest should fit you. Another idea is to simply wear sweat pants over
your padded bike shorts; you can bind the right leg material if necessary to
prevent "chain grab".

BTW, I'm a roadie on a MTB, riding in Salt Lake City.

Lots of good trails around there I bet; why not try some dirt? (And if you
ride ONLY on the road, why not get a road bike?)

Bill "horses for courses" S.

Old October 25th 04, 07:18 PM

Pedal faster and harder and your be at the corect
poundage. And don't forget no piging out. 6 ft 208 at 51.

I MTB 2004

Old October 25th 04, 07:34 PM
Shawn

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
geemike wrote:

A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

Your buddy is an idiot.

Be that as it may, you'll be more comfortable if you keep your knees
warm. When mine get cold, they get stiff and sore. Tendonitus? Don't
know about that.

Shawn
Old October 25th 04, 07:41 PM
B i l l S o r n s o n

Shawn wrote:
B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
geemike wrote:

A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

Your buddy is an idiot.

Be that as it may, you'll be more comfortable if you keep your knees
warm. When mine get cold, they get stiff and sore. Tendonitus?
Don't know about that.

Oh, I agree about the comfort thing (though maybe not at 60 degrees F); I
just don't believe that choice of gear and tendonitis are related (other
than fit issues, perhaps).

Bill "new marketing ploy: PREVENT TENDONITIS WITH OUR PANTS!" S.

Old October 25th 04, 07:58 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-10-25, B i l l S o r n s o n penned:

Oh, I agree about the comfort thing (though maybe not at 60 degrees F); I
just don't believe that choice of gear and tendonitis are related (other
than fit issues, perhaps).

Bill "new marketing ploy: PREVENT TENDONITIS WITH OUR PANTS!" S.

Tendonitis sounds like the wrong ailment, but I'm pretty sure that keeping
muscles, joints, etc warm makes them more limber, hence more resistant to
damage ... or at least, it makes sense to me.

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old October 25th 04, 11:26 PM
Shawn

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:
Shawn wrote:

B i l l S o r n s o n wrote:

geemike wrote:

A buddy tells me I'm risking tendonitis of the knees if I ride
below 60(f) without some type of biking pants.

Your buddy is an idiot.

Be that as it may, you'll be more comfortable if you keep your knees
warm. When mine get cold, they get stiff and sore. Tendonitus?
Don't know about that.

Oh, I agree about the comfort thing (though maybe not at 60 degrees F); I
just don't believe that choice of gear and tendinitis are related (other
than fit issues, perhaps).

Bill "new marketing ploy: PREVENT TENDINITIS WITH OUR PANTS!" S.

It's really an old ploy. When I was a newbie 16 year old roadie, my
coach told me the same thing. This was in Colorado Springs during the
Eddie B. coaching days at the OTC, so they had the best European
training techniques ... or is that propaganda? He was a Polish
"defector" after all.
Hmm Maybe it was a Communist Plot!

Shawn