Million Pound Bike Ride

Old March 25th 10, 07:14 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tom Crispin[_2_]

Default Million Pound Bike Ride

On Thu, 25 Mar 2010 00:25:09 +0000, Adam Lea
wrote:

I'm now barred from urcm, so have to reply he

Speaking of nasty hills, I have volunteered to lead one of the strong
club rides this coming Sunday; was thinking of taking them over the
Cranleigh to Shere road which peaks at 21%. What makes it worse is that
there is around two miles of gradual ascent before the steepest bit.
Failed to get up it last time I tried, even with a 34x27 bottom gear.

Is the 21% section the bit leading up to Pitch Hill?

The North Downs has some surprisingly fierce climbs.
Old March 25th 10, 01:04 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

wrote:

I'm now barred from urcm, so have to reply he

Speaking of nasty hills, I have volunteered to lead one of the strong
club rides this coming Sunday; was thinking of taking them over the
Cranleigh to Shere road which peaks at 21%. What makes it worse is that
there is around two miles of gradual ascent before the steepest bit.
Failed to get up it last time I tried, even with a 34x27 bottom gear.

Is the 21% section the bit leading up to Pitch Hill?

The North Downs has some surprisingly fierce climbs.

winterfold, or Barhatch lane. only steep for one wee bit really. but I
can get up a hill in wales that is some 200 foot and bit higher for the
same distance, all done slowly mind you no hill climb records to be
broken!

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com
Old March 25th 10, 01:36 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Henry Lockwood

wrote:

I'm now barred from urcm, so have to reply he

Speaking of nasty hills, I have volunteered to lead one of the strong
club rides this coming Sunday; was thinking of taking them over the
Cranleigh to Shere road which peaks at 21%. What makes it worse is that
there is around two miles of gradual ascent before the steepest bit.
Failed to get up it last time I tried, even with a 34x27 bottom gear.

Is the 21% section the bit leading up to Pitch Hill?

The North Downs has some surprisingly fierce climbs.

winterfold, or Barhatch lane. only steep for one wee bit really. but I
can get up a hill in wales that is some 200 foot and bit higher for the
same distance, all done slowly mind you no hill climb records to be
broken!

roger
--www.rogermerriman.com

Ah yes, the Downs. I grew up around there and still remember the time
I went up Winterfold by accident!

HenryL
Old March 27th 10, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

yeah it is one of the few that is proper steep in the area.

I rather like it to be honest!

Roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com