Ullrich = Weasel?!

Old July 21st 03, 06:49 PM
Appkiller

Default Ullrich = Weasel?!

You may recall two years ago when a certain true cyclist, athlete and
gentleman waited for Mr. Ullrich to come up out of a ravine and rejoin
the Tour. According to Reuters, Mr. Ullrich had the opportunity to
demonstrate his own ethical superiority and sportsmanship but, as
reported:

"LUZ-ARDIDEN, France (Reuters) - Overall leader Lance Armstrong had
former team mate Tyler Hamilton to thank for his victory on the 15th
stage of the Tour de France Monday.

Hamilton slowed down the favorites group, which included second-placed
German Jan Ullrich, after the defending champion crashed on the climb
to the finish.

Armstrong had just counter-attacked behind Iban Mayo when he appeared
to get a spectator's bag snagged in his brake lever, bringing himself
and the Basque rider crashing to the ground.

"There's an unwritten rule in cycling that when the yellow jersey
crashes or has a mechanical (problem) you wait for him," said
Hamilton, who was Armstrong's right-hand man at U.S. Postal until he
left the team at the end of 2001.

"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
down...."

I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.

App
Old July 21st 03, 07:27 PM
The Causey Way

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
On 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 -0700, (Appkiller) from
http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
down...."

I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.

Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?

After the finish, Lance said he appreciated Ulrich waiting for him.

Old July 21st 03, 11:01 PM
W K

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
On 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 -0700, (Appkiller) from
http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
down...."

I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.

Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?

Because he's a nasty german.
As bad as the french but quiet about it.

Old July 22nd 03, 12:36 AM
David L. Johnson

On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 +0000, Appkiller wrote:

You may recall two years ago when a certain true cyclist, athlete and
gentleman waited for Mr. Ullrich to come up out of a ravine and rejoin the
Tour. According to Reuters, Mr. Ullrich had the opportunity to
demonstrate his own ethical superiority and sportsmanship but, as
reported:

Hamilton slowed down the favorites group, which included second-placed
German Jan Ullrich, after the defending champion crashed on the climb to
the finish.

But this did not report that Ullrich was attacking. I don't think he knew
what had happened until Hamilton gestured to slow people down. But
Ullrich did not take advantage of the accident.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | More people object to wearing fur than leather because it is
_`\(,_ | safer to harrass rich white women than motorcycle gangs.
(_)/ (_) |

Old July 22nd 03, 01:46 AM
Eric S. Sande

Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?

Because he's a nasty german.

Jan isn't a team player. And his staff isn't that great either.

But he's a hell of a cyclist, this is his comeback year and he's
dogging the crap out of a tired Lance Armstrong.

This one is not yet in the record books.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old July 22nd 03, 02:37 AM
Paul Southworth

In article ,
Kevan Smith /dev/null wrote:
On Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:27:00 -0400, "The Causey Way" death@tospam from wrote:

"Kevan Smith" /\/\ wrote in message
. ..
On 21 Jul 2003 10:49:22 -0700, (Appkiller) from
http://groups.google.com/ wrote:

"I didn't feel like the riders were waiting and I felt a
responsibility to go to the front and make a hand gesture to slow
down...."

I haven't seen the viddie but the story seems to speak for itself.
Kudos to Tyler for his heroic cycling and promotion of fair play.

Why don't you wait to hear Ulrich's comments before condemning him?

After the finish, Lance said he appreciated Ulrich waiting for him.

And of course Tyler would want them to slow down more -- he's in tremendous
pain. Ligget questions whether Ulrich waiting was a good thing to do on the
official tour site: "Should Ullrich have waited for him? After all two years
ago, it was a great gesture, but of little importance to the race -- they were
going downhill. This time, Ullrich lost all his rhythm and he can never
accelerate like Lance. Just another viewpoint."

I noticed that dailypeloton.com also said in their live report that
today the Postal team dropped the pace on the Col d'Aspin to wait for
Ullrich who had lost 30 seconds due to some kind of mechanical problem.

I suspect a lot of this hubbub is just more media histrionics, trying
to blow up every Powerbar fart into TV drama.

--Paul
Old July 22nd 03, 02:58 AM
Eric S. Sande

I noticed that dailypeloton.com also said in their live report that
today the Postal team dropped the pace on the Col d'Aspin to wait for
Ullrich who had lost 30 seconds due to some kind of mechanical problem.

Ullrich's only mechanical problem is that he has no domestiques to
cover him on the climbs, his Team Bianchi is close to burnt.

I suspect a lot of this hubbub is just more media histrionics,
trying to blow up every Powerbar fart into TV drama.

Blame it on TV.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old July 22nd 03, 04:16 AM
Golightly F.

"The Causey Way" death@tospam
After the finish, Lance said he appreciated Ulrich waiting for him.

Actually he said he "figured they slowed" because he caught up so fast. He
then said "maybe it was a payback...".

"figured" and "maybe"

hth

Old July 22nd 03, 09:19 AM
W K

"Robert Dole" wrote in message
om...

Because he's a nasty german.
As bad as the french but quiet about it.

A bad troll attempt.

But what the poster seemed to be hinting at.

Hamilton = all american hero
Ullrich = nasty sneaky krauty weasel.

Its hard to tell what happened and who noticed.

But basically Hamilton is in the same team. Its his job to look after his
strongest team-mate.
OTOH its Ullrich's job to beat him.