Three reasons to hate cameron, red light jumper, smoker AND a tory!

Old January 25th 08, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Default Three reasons to hate cameron, red light jumper, smoker AND atory!

Quoting :
Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
stopped them going in in the first place though.

Perhaps some people didn't go and some other people complained about
smoke.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Leicesterday, January.
Old January 25th 08, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

On Jan 25, 11:17�am, "PK" wrote:
wrote in message

Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
stopped them going in in the first place though.

It didn't stop the people who complained but it did stop those who did not
go to the pub because they did not like the smoke. Doh!

But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
conditions of the bar staff.

pk

P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
wishes to drink AND work. Simple really, all it would take is a little
sign on the door, not millions wasted on policing this ban. (How is it
money can be found to fund Smoking Ban Enforcers but we can't have
more Bobbies on the Beat?) Surely that would have satisfied most fair-
minded people?
I think I'm getting grumpier as I get older. I'd better get back out
on me bike ;-)
Old January 25th 08, 02:08 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
PK

wrote in message

P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
wishes to drink AND work.

good idea!

we can also have mines that do not implement H&S rules - they will be able
to see cheaper coal!

ditto, factories!

pk

Old January 25th 08, 02:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Allan

PK wrote:

wrote in message

P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
wishes to drink AND work.

good idea!

we can also have mines that do not implement H&S rules - they will be able
to see cheaper coal!

ditto, factories!

pk

yes think of the children
why should they be stopped going up chimneys if they want to
am
Old January 25th 08, 02:38 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote in message

P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
wishes to drink AND work.

Wouldn't work. We actually had that situation before - there were some
non-smoking pubs, just not very many at all. In that situation, with all bar
a few cases there's a competitive advantage to be had from offering smoking,
so they all did.

IMO it is nice to be able to breathe in a pub...

cheers,
clive

Old January 25th 08, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

wrote:
On Jan 25, 11:17�am, "PK" wrote:
wrote in message

Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
stopped them going in in the first place though.

It didn't stop the people who complained but it did stop those who did not
go to the pub because they did not like the smoke. Doh!

But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
conditions of the bar staff.

pk

P'raps it's me but what 's wrong with having some "smoking" pubs and
some "non-smoking" pubs, then it's down to the individual where he
wishes to drink AND work.

Because as has been shown up until now smokers cannot be trusted to
abide by a voluntary code, and the lowest common denominator or business
would encourage ALL pubs to be smoking.

Simple really, all it would take is a little
sign on the door, not millions wasted on policing this ban. (How is it
money can be found to fund Smoking Ban Enforcers but we can't have
more Bobbies on the Beat?)

Surely that would have satisfied most fair-
minded people?

In the same way you could get rid of lots of H&S exective inspectors and
leave bussinness customers and employees about which one they deal
with, those the kill their employees and customers with dangerous ( but
lucrative) working and business practices or those ( more expensive )
ones that don't

I think I'm getting grumpier as I get older. I'd better get back out
on me bike ;-)

Good idea , less time for you to read the Daily Wail!
Old January 25th 08, 03:46 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Alan Braggins

In article , PK wrote:
wrote in message

Funny thing about the smoking ban....everybody saying how their
clothes always smelt of smoke after coming out of the pub. It never
stopped them going in in the first place though.

It didn't stop the people who complained but it did stop those who did not
go to the pub because they did not like the smoke. Doh!

It didn't _always_ stop the people who complained, but at least some of
them went to the pub less than they would have if it wasn't smoky.
Old January 25th 08, 04:10 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc

Martin Dann wrote:
PK wrote:

But......the smoking ban was and is far more to do with the working
conditions of the bar staff.

IMHO the smoking ban was there to push the smokers outside, so that they
would have to enjoy our weather whilst smoking, in an effort to make
them give up.
The government brought in the ban during the summer, to get smokers used
to going outside, then hopes that as the weather gets worse, people will
smoke less. (I don't smoke myself).

Of course now you get big crowds of people stood outside some pubs
blocking the footpaths.

Throwing their fag ends, matches, cellophane and fag packets onto the
ground.

Why do smokers never see their detritus as litter, is it because smoking
is an inherently selfish action in itself?
Old January 25th 08, 06:18 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
BIG_ONE

"wafflycat" wrote:

I hated being in a pub due to the cigarette
smoke. It stopped me going pretty much. I venture into such establishments
more often these days.

lonely in there by yourself is it ?
I just came out of the local which this time last year would have had
20-30 folk in it on a friday after work ... there were no more than 10
in there today

Beer drinker and smoker comments on cycling..... [email protected] Racing 0 November 7th 06 01:58 PM
I'm a doper....I'm a smoker..... [email protected] Racing 0 September 12th 06 11:14 AM
Tory leader NOTICES CROSSAN EV? U.S.piggybank UK 0 July 26th 06 09:16 PM
Cameron cycling again Tony Raven UK 2 December 9th 05 11:11 AM
red light jumper BrianW UK 45 August 28th 05 02:57 PM