27" tires - 1 1/4 vs 1 1/8 vs 1

Old April 25th 04, 12:09 AM
Donald Gillies

Default 27" tires - 1 1/4 vs 1 1/8 vs 1

(Phil) writes:

Ok maybe a dumb question. I have an old bike with 27 x 1 1/4 tires.
I'd like to do a little cross training (I'm mostly a runner). I've
found some higher performance tires that are 27 x 1 1/8 inch and some
that are 27 x 1.

Can either of these two be put on my current rims?

regards

Don't forget to check the type of bead. Many older 27" rims have a
"straight bead" rather than a "hook bead" like all of today's 700c
rims. In other words, if you saw the rim, do you see a straight rim
side, or a curve inwards towards the middle of the tireline?

Kevlar (folding) tires do not stay mounted on straight bead rims. For
example, Weinmann only made 1 rim with hook bead model, out of about
8, and Rigida seemed to almost always use a hooked bead. I have super
champion gentleman 81 rims and they use a hooked bead.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old April 27th 04, 05:01 PM
g.daniels

pick up a conti catalog at the LBS
and go for durability with slime liners and Nbar self sealing tubes
then train not EP with EP equipment.

relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
"Carbon" tires psycholist Techniques 34 January 28th 04 07:45 AM
Studded tires R Christensen General 2 January 27th 04 04:40 PM
Couple questions about bike tires Dan Musicant General 3 July 18th 03 08:18 PM