[Schlumpf Questions] Crank Length

Old July 10th 07, 11:18 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
semach.the.monkey

Default [Schlumpf Questions] Crank Length

sorry for the multiple posts on related subjects, but i figured people
using the search facility in the future might find things easier.

This is a question for Schlumpf owners only really, as normal crank
length theory doesn't always follow with these things. But what length
of crank do you find works best for you (and what wheel size do you
use?), and why?

My 29" Schlumpf came with 150mm cranks, and I find these very long and
unweildly in low gear, but generally about right in high gear. On my
everyday 29er I have 110s, and I used 125s on my 36". If I was to
change to, say, 140s, is there a particular type you'd recommend with
regard to Q-factor (so I can still click the button) and button-end
thickness? Or any that you know don't work?

STM

--
semach.the.monkey
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 01:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
joemarshall

semach.the.monkey wrote:

This is a question for Schlumpf owners only really, as normal crank
length theory doesn't always follow with these things. But what length
of crank do you find works best for you (and what wheel size do you
use?), and why?

My 29" Schlumpf came with 150mm cranks, and I find these very long and
unweildly in low gear, but generally about right in high gear. On my
everyday 29er I have 110s, and I used 125s on my 36". If I was to
change to, say, 140s, is there a particular type you'd recommend with
regard to Q-factor (so I can still click the button) and button-end
thickness? Or any that you know don't work?

Qu-ax 125s work, Tony Melton has them on his. I've got prowheel 150s on
mine. I've got some 125s (that I'm raring to put on but can't damn it),
which I think are official schlumpf ones.

I think, but I might be wrong, that you're not supposed to put steel
cranks on the hub.

There are also official schlumpf aluminium ones available in most
lengths, although I think they're just rebadged cheap aluminium cranks,
(one of mine snapped while I was just riding along), probably not worth
paying extra money for.

Joe

--
joemarshall

my pics http://gallery.unicyclist.com/albuq44
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 11th 07, 06:45 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

I liked the 150s that Roger Davies has on his Schlumpf 36". I consider
that the minimum size I would feel comfortable with in the high gear
(54" equivalent). Maybe I could get used to 140mm in time, but I don't
think it would be very safe, especially on hills!

--
johnfoss

John Foss

"pretty much every trail that we've done on the California or Moab Muni
weekends is an XC trail." -- Kris Holm, on XC from a North Shore point
of view
http://www.usenet.com