Saunier-Duval withdraws from Tour

Old July 18th 08, 02:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Howard Kveck

Default Saunier-Duval withdraws from Tour

In article ,
Robert Chung wrote:

On Jul 17, 9:42*am, sluggo wrote:
Robert Chung wrote in news:f8c36c5c-0f83-4c05-b1f0-
:

On Jul 17, 8:47*am, Bob Schwartz
wrote:

I knew it was a lock once Lafferty showed up and pronounced
this Tour cleaner than past Tours.

The puzzling thing, of course, is why the team withdrew. Each positive
had to have been an isolated individual action. We know it couldn't
have been organized because David Millar was on the team just last
year.

I'd think either the team is extremely embarassed since their rider stole
two victories (likely), or they realize/suspect that Ricco isn't the only
one doping (also likely). *I don't think the withdrawal is that puzzling
really, it's just a lot of damage control.

When F1 teams get caught cheating, they incur fines and time penalties
and they continue to race.

I wonder if bike racing could afford F1 level fines.

--
tanx,
Howard

The bloody pubs are bloody dull
The bloody clubs are bloody full
Of bloody girls and bloody guys
With bloody murder in their eyes

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 18th 08, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
SLAVE of THE STATE

On Jul 17, 1:15*pm, Robert Chung wrote:
On Jul 17, 1:03*pm, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

wrote:

I knew it was a lock once Lafferty showed up and pronounced
this Tour cleaner than past Tours.

The puzzling thing, of course, is why the team withdrew. Each positive
had to have been an isolated individual action. We know it couldn't
have been organized because David Millar was on the team just last
year.

I'd think either the team is extremely embarassed since their rider stole
two victories (likely), or they realize/suspect that Ricco isn't the only
one doping (also likely). *I don't think the withdrawal is that puzzling
really, it's just a lot of damage control.

When F1 teams get caught cheating, they incur fines and time penalties
and they continue to race.

Horses for courses. In F1, it's ironically often the opposite of
cycling's norm: clean drivers piloting cars built by cheating
engineers:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Fo...ge_controversy

It's hard to argue that the penalty incurred by McLaren wasn't stiff.
I daresay that (fines aside) it was the harshest penalty imposable
that didn't penalize the drivers.

Similarly, Ricco's equipment sponsors will not be penalized. Except,
you know, the team withdrawal from the Tour.

Okay, and also, the McLaren drivers may have been in on the cheating,
and they got to drive faster cars.

Sporting penalty for sporting violation.

Duck hunting is allegedly a sport. Would it be too harsh to sentence
sporting dopers to duck hunting with Cheney?

Old July 18th 08, 06:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Robert Chung

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...bye-bye-birdie