Open-source web-map Cyclopath seeks volunteer help

Old May 26th 10, 11:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Reid Priedhorsky[_2_]

Default Open-source web-map Cyclopath seeks volunteer help

Dear rec.bicycles.misc,

I am the project leader for Cyclopath, which is a geographic wiki
serving the navigation needs of bicyclists in the Minneapolis-St.
Paul, Minnesota, USA metro area (http://cyclopath.org).

We recently went open-source and are seeking volunteer programmers,
because we want to support the ability of other people to bring up
similar systems around the world, and also because the software is
becoming mature enough that we don't have the internal resources to do
lots of cool stuff that people are asking for. We would also like to
be a better citizen of the greater geospatial open source ecosystem,
and for that we need to broaden our community beyond just our internal
team.

We are somewhat similar to Open Street Map, but we go beyond the
transportation network itself to add points of interest, regions, and
lots of annotations like bikeability ratings, notes, tags, and
discussions. All of these annotations are associated directly with the
map object in question, not just using co-location.

So, benefits of helping us hack on the system include spreading this
interesting geospatial software to new places and also fixing bugs &
adding features that benefit our users as well as users of any
instances the community brings up.

Cyclopath is a research project project operated by the GroupLens
Research, the human-computer interaction research group at the
University of Minnesota, and the project has generated several
peer-reviewed research papers (see http://reidster.net/papers.html if
interested).

The software is about 60,000 lines of code, mostly Python and
ActionScript (we target the Flash Player virtual machine). We use
PostGIS for the backend and it's an Apache license. More info on the
source code and a link to our bug database is at: http://cyclopath.org/wiki/Tech:Source_Code

I will be happy to answer questions here in rec.bicycles.misc. If you
are interested in helping, please e-mail us at or
on our new public developers' list,
http://groups.google.com/group/cyclopath-dev.

Much appreciated,

Reid

New enhanced version of OrangeHRM - Free Open Source HRIS orangehrm General 3 April 5th 18 10:35 AM
TdF volunteer assignments? ccf UK 1 June 22nd 07 09:24 AM
Volunteer pedaling his way to Ecuador Garrison Hilliard Rides 5 August 18th 05 06:52 PM
Open Source Beer! Garrison Hilliard General 2 August 1st 05 08:23 AM
Open source cycling atlas/route planner Donald Munro Racing 1 December 17th 04 03:46 PM