Electric Bikes

Old April 24th 19, 03:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

Default Electric Bikes

On Wed, 24 Apr 2019 08:28:14 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 4/23/2019 8:26 PM, news18 wrote:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 14:21:17 -0700, wrote:

I received an email from a local bike shop. They were advertising
e-bikes. Three of them were shown. $2400 Raleigh. $4050
Specialized. $5050 Specialized. I had no idea electric bikes were
that F---ing expensive. That is almost Half the price of one of those
$10,000+ Specialized Venge Tour de France bikes. I have not looked
recently, but I am positive that you can buy a new or used motorcycle,
scooter, moped for much less than those prices. I suppose riding
e-bikes can get you some exercise which is good for you, but if you
have to pay that much for it, wow. It almost makes those monthly gym
membership fees seem reasonable.

Suppossedly it is the cost of the lithium batteries.
Then there is the early adopter markup addded-on,
Then there is the birht and shinny new cost added on.

Wait until wallymat/etc starts offering them.

in USA, WalMart is among the largest sellers of electric two-wheelers.

Segways?

Nnot here.

Old April 24th 19, 03:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Are Wally Mart electric bicycles as poor quality and assemble as most of their regular bicycles?

The last bicycle shop I worked at had many customers with bicycles that needed basic setup and/or minor repairs because they were low end department store bicycles. Many of those bicycles were not safe to ride as delivered to the department store customer. I wonder if electric bicycles sold by them are the same low quality ot poor assembly?

Cheers

Cheers
Old April 24th 19, 04:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 9:22:19 AM UTC-5, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

WalMart bikes may unfortunately have lesser assembly. But in general the bikes sold by WalMart are fairly high quality using quality Shimano parts. If you know how to do your own bike mechanic work, then you can get a very functional good bike at WalMart for very little money. Almost all my bikes are bought separate parts and assembled by me. Saves lots of money and gets a great bike.
Old April 24th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 11:43:52 AM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

My concern is for those who are not good/interested in bicycle mechanical work who buy a department store bicycle. Heck a regular bicycle can be dangerous enough if not properly assembled and/or adjusted. I shudder to think about what could happen with an improperly assembled/adjusted electric bicycle. As I mentioned above, the last bicycle shop I worked at saw quite a few customers bring in new department store bicycles that needed to be setup and/or adjusted properly in order to be safe to ride.

Cheers
Old April 25th 19, 12:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Wednesday, April 24, 2019 at 2:30:24 AM UTC+1, news18 wrote:
On Sat, 20 Apr 2019 09:45:36 -0700, Andre Jute wrote:

On Saturday, April 20, 2019 at 12:10:53 AM UTC+1, sms wrote:
On 4/19/2019 3:52 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Fri, 19 Apr 2019 14:21:17 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I received an email from a local bike shop. They were advertising
e-bikes. Three of them were shown. $2400 Raleigh. $4050
Specialized. $5050 Specialized. I had no idea electric bikes were
that F---ing expensive. That is almost Half the price of one of
those $10,000+ Specialized Venge Tour de France bikes. I have not
looked recently, but I am positive that you can buy a new or used
motorcycle, scooter, moped for much less than those prices. I
suppose riding e-bikes can get you some exercise which is good for
you, but if you have to pay that much for it, wow. It almost makes
those monthly gym membership fees seem reasonable.

Those are name-brand e-Bikes, mid-drive. A decent rear-hub drive e-bike
costs $1200-1500.

You can build your own for much less. At
http://coolmainpress.com/BICYCLINGbuildingpedelec1.html I describe
fitting a front motor

Mid frame conversions are better and fit the riding habits of perople who
would benefit from a e-bike; aka more activity and ICE replacement.

Front and rear motors are not designed for the average bicle rider and
would be rapidly destroyed.

Including a suitable battery in each case, the mid-frame electric motor installation now on my bike cost almost twice as much as the earlier front electric motor installation I describe in the post and article you refer to. The front installation lasted about 3500km and could have been rebuilt for less than Euro 100 but I'd bought it only as an interim measure while I learned about electric motors, so I didn't care. I always intended installing a mid-motor as soon as the mid-motors were a bit further along the early-adopter timeline (see the Endless Sphere discussion group on the net) and the packages became a little more sophisticated, as happened with the D965 controller.

Andre Jute
Fools rush in
Old April 25th 19, 06:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

"
wrote:

[...]

The killer for all the e-bikes is riding style. Great if you're a wanna
be peleton rider, but very harsh on batteries if you joe-blow overage
plodder. Mid mounts allow different drive gearing ratios to have the
motor perform at optimum characteristics. I worked this out when they
first appear in the 80(?)s.

Old April 25th 19, 07:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/24/2019 6:28 AM, AMuzi wrote:

snip

in USA, WalMart is among the largest sellers of electric two-wheelers.

Costco has also been selling electric bicycles, but not the low-end
models that Walmart has been selling.

https://www.costco.com/Jetson-Adventure-Electric-Bike-.product.100370011.html

https://www.costco.com/genze-bikes-schedule.html

Mid-quality, rear-drive electric bicycles have fallen below $1300.

When the mid-drive electric bicycles with 1x gearing fall to around
$1500 I think you'll see a lot more adoption. Nothing is really
preventing this other than the early-adopters keeping the prices higher.

Right now you could take a $350-450 mid-range disc brake 27.5" mountain
bike and add a Bafang mid-drive motor and a battery and be right around
$1500. The $350-400 27.5" mountain bikes are using low-end Altus
derailleurs and Tektro mechanical disc brakes, but for $450 you're at
Acera, and hydraulic disc brakes which is sufficient, i.e.
https://www.rei.com/product/106331/co-op-cycles-drt-11-bike. DIY is a
little clunky when it comes to mounting the battery because you can't
get a battery integrated into an oversized down tube.

Electric Bikes NG? RJH UK 2 October 14th 12 11:48 PM
Electric bikes? Doug[_3_] UK 181 September 28th 09 01:48 PM
Electric bikes Tony Raven UK 6 September 21st 06 10:53 AM
electric bikes Pete UK 159 June 6th 06 10:02 AM
electric bikes Johnnie Scott UK 7 July 6th 05 11:57 AM