Helmet saves my head

Old July 24th 06, 07:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

Default Helmet saves my head

We have a lot of downed trees around here (NYC) because of storms. So
this morning I'm heading off to work and passing through my local
park, on one of the thin asphalt paths. One big branch of a tree has
fallen over and is blocking part of the path, but there is just enough
room to squeeze by without hitting the mud. As I pass and duck under
the leaves, there is a solid THOCK as my helmet bashes some branch
that I didn't see.

I didn't feel much but judging by the sound, I would have certainly
felt it without the helmet. Not exactly a life saver, but I was happy
that I was wearing the helmet today.

Please, no flame war intended, and for short rides I do go without the
helmet. But this once it did come in handy.
Old July 24th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
trino

"dgk" wrote in message
We have a lot of downed trees around here (NYC) because of storms. So
this morning I'm heading off to work and passing through my local
park, on one of the thin asphalt paths. One big branch of a tree has
fallen over and is blocking part of the path, but there is just enough
room to squeeze by without hitting the mud. As I pass and duck under
the leaves, there is a solid THOCK as my helmet bashes some branch
that I didn't see.

I didn't feel much but judging by the sound, I would have certainly
felt it without the helmet. Not exactly a life saver, but I was happy
that I was wearing the helmet today.

Please, no flame war intended, and for short rides I do go without the
helmet. But this once it did come in handy.

You thought there would be less trees falling over in a park? Just
wondering.
Sorry NY is getting bad weather.
I like your story.

Old July 24th 06, 08:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bill Sornson

dgk wrote:
We have a lot of downed trees around here (NYC) because of storms. So
this morning I'm heading off to work and passing through my local
park, on one of the thin asphalt paths. One big branch of a tree has
fallen over and is blocking part of the path, but there is just enough
room to squeeze by without hitting the mud. As I pass and duck under
the leaves, there is a solid THOCK as my helmet bashes some branch
that I didn't see.

I didn't feel much but judging by the sound, I would have certainly
felt it without the helmet. Not exactly a life saver, but I was happy
that I was wearing the helmet today.

Please, no flame war intended, and for short rides I do go without the
helmet. But this once it did come in handy.

Here we go... ROTFL

(Stick it in RBT for some /real/ fun!)

Old July 24th 06, 08:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Default Another helmet thread ruins RBM [Was: Helmet saves my head]

dgk wrote:
We have a lot of downed trees around here (NYC) because of storms. So
this morning I'm heading off to work and passing through my local
park, on one of the thin asphalt paths. One big branch of a tree has
fallen over and is blocking part of the path, but there is just enough
room to squeeze by without hitting the mud. As I pass and duck under
the leaves, there is a solid THOCK as my helmet bashes some branch
that I didn't see.

I didn't feel much but judging by the sound, I would have certainly
felt it without the helmet. Not exactly a life saver, but I was happy
that I was wearing the helmet today.

Please, no flame war intended, and for short rides I do go without the
helmet. But this once it did come in handy.

Now you've done it...

Paul D Oosterhout
(from SAIC)

Old July 25th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Werehatrack

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:45:41 GMT, "Bill Sornson" wrote:

dgk wrote:
We have a lot of downed trees around here (NYC) because of storms. So
this morning I'm heading off to work and passing through my local
park, on one of the thin asphalt paths. One big branch of a tree has
fallen over and is blocking part of the path, but there is just enough
room to squeeze by without hitting the mud. As I pass and duck under
the leaves, there is a solid THOCK as my helmet bashes some branch
that I didn't see.

I didn't feel much but judging by the sound, I would have certainly
felt it without the helmet. Not exactly a life saver, but I was happy
that I was wearing the helmet today.

Please, no flame war intended, and for short rides I do go without the
helmet. But this once it did come in handy.

Here we go... ROTFL

(Stick it in RBT for some /real/ fun!)

Or don't, so that the killfiles don't have to be adjusted to zap yet
another h-word thread.

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old July 25th 06, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
dgk

On Mon, 24 Jul 2006 19:18:37 GMT, "trino"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Not just NY; it seems that weather is really weird around the country.
I suppose global warming could be the culprit. Whatever, we've sure
had lots of intense thunderstorms lately. I kind of like them since
they're entertaining but the winds are doing in the trees.
Old July 27th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Jeremy Parker

"dgk" wrote in message
We have a lot of downed trees around here (NYC) because of storms.

So
this morning I'm heading off to work and passing through my local
park, on one of the thin asphalt paths. One big branch of a tree

has
fallen over and is blocking part of the path, but there is just

enough
room to squeeze by without hitting the mud. As I pass and duck

under
the leaves, there is a solid THOCK as my helmet bashes some branch
that I didn't see.

Or perhaps you did see it, it being right in front of you, but
misjudged how much to duck, in spite of a lifetime of honing your
instincts

I didn't feel much but judging by the sound, I would have certainly
felt it without the helmet.

Or perhaps your head, without a helmet, would have been smaller, you
would have ducked the correct amount, and not hit the branch at all.

Not exactly a life saver, but I was happy
that I was wearing the helmet today.

Please, no flame war intended, and for short rides I do go without

the
helmet. But this once it did come in handy.

Hmm. Perhaps.

Jeremy Parker