Topeak Alien and axle nuts?

Old August 18th 03, 04:08 AM
Sujai

Default Topeak Alien and axle nuts?

Hi. I've been looking through a lot of posts and I think the Topeak
Alien is the right multi-tool for me.

(long url warning):
http://www.topeak.com/cgi-bin/SoftCa...dea+1061178270

However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm
axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15
mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench ever to
know if it can be used on an axle nut.

Thanks in advance,

- Sujai

--
[remove duplicate letters in eedduu for email address]

Old August 18th 03, 04:35 AM
Eric S. Sande

However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm
axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a
15 mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench
ever to know if it can be used on an axle nut.

The Alien is a great multitool, I'd recommend it. But you just
don't have the kind of mechanical advantage with its 15 mm to do
serious business with an axle nut.

That's what peanut butter wrenches are for.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old August 18th 03, 03:16 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 23:35:41 +0000, Eric S. Sande wrote:

However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm
axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15
mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench ever to
know if it can be used on an axle nut.

The Alien is a great multitool, I'd recommend it. But you just don't have
the kind of mechanical advantage with its 15 mm to do serious business
with an axle nut.

That's what peanut butter wrenches are for.

I'd have to agree with the last part of that. For the life of me, though,
I can't see the utility of the 15mm wrench that comes on that thing. If
there isn't enough mechanical advantage to remove an axle nut, no way are
you going to be able to remove a pedal that has been on for a while.
Most shops have big 'ol 18" pedal wrenches for a reason.

On the other hand, who needs to remove a pedal on the road? But a longer
wrench for the axle nuts will be useful as long as you stick with nutted
axles. I*now use Allen-keyed skewers on my fixed gear, and basically can
do everything I need with a 6mm Allen wrench.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Become MicroSoft-free forever. Ask me how.
_`\(,_ |
(_)/ (_) |

Old August 18th 03, 03:50 PM
Terry Morse

David L. Johnson wrote:

For the life of me, though, I can't see the utility of the 15mm
wrench that comes on that thing. If there isn't enough mechanical
advantage to remove an axle nut, no way are you going to be able
to remove a pedal that has been on for a while.

I once use my Alien to reinstall a woman's pedal that had come
loose. She had them installed at an LBS the day before. She was
grateful and planned to chew out the LBS at her earliest convenience.

That's the only time I had use for the 15mm wrench.
Old August 18th 03, 05:00 PM
Rick Onanian

On Sun, 17 Aug 2003 22:08:04 -0500, Sujai wrote:
However, I wasnt able to tell if the tool can be used to remove 15 mm
axle nuts as well in the event of a flat tire. The tool comes with a 15
mm pedal wrench, but I haven't done anything with a pedal wrench ever to
know if it can be used on an axle nut.

Looking at the picture you linked, I can't tell
where the 15mm pedal wrench is. However, if it
can remove pedals, which are likely to be seized
on, then I'm sure it can remove an axle nut.

I have an old "Bike wrench" I got at a department
store probably 12 years ago; it's cheezy, and it
has a 15mm open-end wrench on one side that works
great for pedals AND axle nuts.

I should post a picture and ask if anybody knows
where I can get a couple more...

Thanks in advance,

- Sujai

--
Rick Onanian
Old August 21st 03, 02:35 AM
Buck

"Fritz M" wrote in message
om...
A friend gave me an Alien which is pretty nice. I haven't figure out
out to use the chain tool, though. Obviously an allen wrench is used
to turn it, but is there a way to remove the allen wrench or the chain
tool from the Alien so it can be used?

Your tool breaks into two pieces for this purpose. Look at the red logo on
the side of the tool. See the small wire acting as a latch? Flip it open,
then press the logo. This releases the two halves and they should slide
apart. Now you can use your allen keys on the chain tool.

-Buck

Old August 21st 03, 05:30 AM
Sujai

thanks everyone for your responses. am going ahead with the alien, and
will get a 6" adjustable wrench as soon as i find out how inadequate
the alien is :-)

- sujai

(posting from my google account, now that uiuc.edu has stopped
newsgroup services in an effort to 'modernize communication' and 'save
costs' - bah!)
Old August 21st 03, 04:41 PM
David L. Johnson

On Wed, 20 Aug 2003 21:30:17 +0000, Sujai wrote:

thanks everyone for your responses. am going ahead with the alien, and
will get a 6" adjustable wrench as soon as i find out how inadequate the
alien is :-)

If the only reason you carry it is for your axle nuts, get a peanut-butter
wrench instead (for that terminology, thank Sheldon Brown). It not only
pulls your nuts, it will also remove/tighten the crank bolt, and help you
get that last bit of peanut butter out of the jar.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | When you are up to your ass in alligators, it's hard to remember
_`\(,_ | that your initial objective was to drain the swamp. -- LBJ