today's ride

Old April 14th 18, 01:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

Default today's ride

Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 14th 18, 03:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-14 05:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

A few weeks ago I came back down from Camino (California) while hail was
pelting us, big time, in shorts and T-shirt. That's real blecccch,
especially on a road bike with rim brakes. I didn't know this was going
to happen, the weather looked so nice on the way up. Else I'd have used
the MTB.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old April 14th 18, 06:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2018-04-14 05:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

A few weeks ago I came back down from Camino (California) while hail was
pelting us, big time, in shorts and T-shirt. That's real blecccch,
especially on a road bike with rim brakes. I didn't know this was going
to happen, the weather looked so nice on the way up. Else I'd have used
the MTB.

--
Regards, Joerg

Must be tough riders in California. IF I HAD KNOWN it was going to HAIL during my ride, I would not have left the house on any bike. Road or mountain bike. I doubt either has much advantage when getting hailed on.
Old April 14th 18, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-14 05:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

A few weeks ago I came back down from Camino (California) while hail was
pelting us, big time, in shorts and T-shirt. That's real blecccch,
especially on a road bike with rim brakes. I didn't know this was
going to happen, the weather looked so nice on the way up. Else I'd
have used the MTB.

-- Regards, Joerg

Must be tough riders in California. IF I HAD KNOWN it was going to
HAIL during my ride, I would not have left the house on any bike.
Road or mountain bike. I doubt either has much advantage when
getting hailed on.

One the way up there was only one brief hail shower and then bright
sunshine. Who'd-a-thunk it would turn so quickly. Up near Camino we had
a little snack when clouds rolled in fast. Since there is no place to
seek cover we raced it down the hill but got pelted all the way until we
reached an old railroad tunnel. Completely soaked.

Of course, if we hadn't stopped for a beer on the way up we'd have
reached that tunnel in time ...

Tomorrow after church the forecast says rain again. Sometimes I have to
look at the map to see weather we really live in California. If there is
any of this global warming I want my fair share of it!

Old April 14th 18, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 10:02:52 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

Must be tough riders in California. IF I HAD KNOWN it was going to HAIL during my ride, I would not have left the house on any bike. Road or mountain bike. I doubt either has much advantage when getting hailed on.

That reminds me of a group ride I was on way back when. We got
caught in a shower of pellet snow; one guy complained of the noise
the pellets were making an his helmet; another responded "*You're*
complaining? I'm not wearing a helmet!"

Weird what a swiss-cheese memory does. I remember the conversation,
but don't remember getting hit with pellets. I also don't remember
whether that was before or after I started wearing a helmet.

Remember when the Bell Biker was the only hardshell? I once arrived
first at a picnic, put my Bell Biker on a bench, dropped my Cool Gear
gloves into it, and walked away. When I came back for my hat and
gloves, there were a half dozen Bell Bikers on the bench, and each
held a pair of Cool Gear gloves.

That may have been when I started putting return-address stickers
inside my helmets.

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net
Old April 15th 18, 11:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On 2018-04-14 05:42, AMuzi wrote:
Cold, windy, sleet, grey, dismal, blecchhh.

https://www.channel3000.com/news/loo...hail/729197821

A few weeks ago I came back down from Camino (California) while hail was
pelting us, big time, in shorts and T-shirt. That's real blecccch,
especially on a road bike with rim brakes. I didn't know this was going
to happen, the weather looked so nice on the way up. Else I'd have used
the MTB.

Road tires generally cut through new hail and snow unless it really accumulates fast. I've never had problems with rim brakes riding in hail. I just don't like it because it hurts my face. The conditions that cause hail usually don't last for very long, and the upside is that it bounces off you -- unlike rain. If its Old Testament apocalyptic hail, I go hide under an overhang until it stops.

The ride today was 2.5 hours in steady, moderate and unseasonably cold rain.. I was recovering from a week off my bike due to a virus that made me feel like sh** and caused me to break out in red welts all over my arms and legs (which was alarming). The welts are slowly reducing. I was riding with my son who is recovering from two fractured and surgically repaired ankles from his ski-tastrophy. He was all trussed up in ankle splints. We were the two-man sad parade. The really sad part is that he can still out-sprint me after more than two months in a wheel chair and with enough hardware in his ankles to stock a Home Depot. To be fair, though, he has been doing all sorts of stationary bike power training for the last month, and I was sick (more excuses to come).

We were both on discs, and again, stopping in wet weather is more about traction than braking. I really had to moderate my rear braking because it is really easy to fish-tail when descending slick wet pavement. Unlike you, we were appropriately dressed in rain gear, although I let my son use my favorite Showers Pass jacket. I was in a Castelli Gabba rain jersey and vest, which soaked through on the arms and shoulders. The sacrifices I make as a parent! The good part is that he gets pro deals on Showers Pass, so he's going to get his own rain jacket soon. Mine is now off limits.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old April 16th 18, 12:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 2018-04-14 05:42, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Sounds like our mid-April weekend except there's serious
wind in the Midwest:

http://www.wnem.com/story/37959863/m...-to-high-winds

Spring starts in June,right?

Old April 16th 18, 05:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 16/04/18 08:51, jbeattie wrote:

Road tires generally cut through new hail and snow unless it really
accumulates fast. I've never had problems with rim brakes riding in
hail. I just don't like it because it hurts my face. The conditions
that cause hail usually don't last for very long, and the upside is
that it bounces off you -- unlike rain. If its Old Testament
apocalyptic hail, I go hide under an overhang until it stops.

I've been caught out in apocalyptic hail, with no overhang for many
kilometres. It doesn't just hurt your face. It hurts anywhere it hits.
Shoulders, back, legs, face, arms, hands, etc.

--
JS
Old April 16th 18, 03:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2018-04-15 21:05, James wrote:
On 16/04/18 08:51, jbeattie wrote:

Road tires generally cut through new hail and snow unless it really
accumulates fast. I've never had problems with rim brakes riding in
hail. I just don't like it because it hurts my face. The conditions
that cause hail usually don't last for very long, and the upside is
that it bounces off you -- unlike rain. If its Old Testament
apocalyptic hail, I go hide under an overhang until it stops.

I've been caught out in apocalyptic hail, with no overhang for many
kilometres. It doesn't just hurt your face. It hurts anywhere it hits.
Shoulders, back, legs, face, arms, hands, etc.

The worst is that it accumulate in all those diagonal air holes of the
helmet and almost gives a brain freeze. Note to self: Carry an oversized
shower cap in the tool kit :-)

The last hail wasn't apocalyptic, no golf-ball sized ice chunks.
However, it was coming down like someone had opened an infinitely large
ice chest up there and no useful overhang for miles until we got to an
old railroad tunnel.

Old April 17th 18, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 11:51:03 PM UTC+1, jbeattie wrote:
... we were appropriately dressed in rain gear, although I let my son use my favorite Showers Pass jacket. I was in a Castelli Gabba rain jersey and vest, which soaked through on the arms and shoulders. The sacrifices I make as a parent! The good part is that he gets pro deals on Showers Pass, so he's going to get his own rain jacket soon. Mine is now off limits.

Good luck with that.

AJ

Today's ride Tom Crispin UK 7 October 12th 08 03:37 PM
Today's Ride Nigel Randell[_2_] UK 5 October 23rd 07 10:38 AM
today's ride Zebee Johnstone Australia 7 May 14th 06 09:02 AM
Seen on today's ride Brian G UK 31 January 25th 06 12:58 PM
Today's ride Tim Hall UK 6 February 3rd 04 11:45 AM