The 5 U.S. cities most friendly to bikes

Old May 8th 11, 05:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Garrison Hilliard

Default The 5 U.S. cities most friendly to bikes

The 5 U.S. cities most friendly to bikes

These are the top five most bicycle-friendly U.S. cities with
populations of 100,000 or more, according to Bicycling magazine:

1. Minneapolis
2. Portland, Ore.
3. Boulder, Colo.
4. Seattle
5. Eugene, Colo.

The magazine rated bicycling-friendly U.S. cities with these factors
in mind: segregated bike lanes, municipal bike racks, bike boulevards,
local government policies that support bicycling and savvy bike shops.

Bike trails for beginners

The bike trails in this region are diverse enough to satisfy the most
hard-core adventurous bikers as well as more casual recreational
pedalers.

These are some of the bike trails Don Burrell, bicycle/pedestrian
coordinator for the Ohio-Kentucky-Indiana Regional Council of
Governments, suggests for beginning or casual bikers:

? Any segment of the Little Miami Trail running from Newtown to
Loveland

? The 2-mile Five Mile Trail from Bartels Road near Turpin High School
to near Beechmont Avenue in Anderson Township

? A 2-mile stretch of the Ohio River Trail from Schmidt Field in the
East End to Lunken Airport

? The 5-mile bike trail loop at Lunken Airport

? Any part of the 8-mile Lebanon Connector that begins near the
Lebanon railroad depot on South Street near Harmon Park.

? The 3-mile stretch of bike trail along the Miami-Erie Canal between
Ohio 747 and the Ohio 4 Bypass in Fairfield.

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...sectionstories
Old May 12th 11, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.rides
Marshall Lake[_2_]

The 5 U.S. cities most friendly to bikes

These are the top five most bicycle-friendly U.S. cities with
populations of 100,000 or more, according to Bicycling magazine:

1. Minneapolis
2. Portland, Ore.
3. Boulder, Colo.
4. Seattle
5. Eugene, Colo.

The magazine rated bicycling-friendly U.S. cities with these factors
in mind: segregated bike lanes, municipal bike racks, bike boulevards,
local government policies that support bicycling and savvy bike shops.

I've spent time in Minneapolis, Portland, and Seattle and frankly the
best bicycling cities I've seen are DC (where I've lived most of my life)
and Scottsdale (where I live now).

Also, I wonder why Davis, CA isn't on the list? I thought Davis was
perennially on these types of lists?

America's Top 50 Bike Friendly Cities SMS General 12 April 10th 10 08:08 AM
Cycling Friendly Cities Roger Zoul General 4 June 20th 07 09:41 PM
Bicycle Friendly Cities Dan Rides 21 April 26th 07 10:00 PM
Bike-friendly cities? cfsmtb Australia 8 July 31st 06 12:23 AM
Google "bicycle friendly cities" Ken General 13 June 8th 05 08:49 PM