The Laws of Physics and Biology Are Different in Canada, per Brian Mottershead

Old June 26th 08, 01:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.backcountry,ca.environment,sci.environment
Mike Vandeman

Default The Laws of Physics and Biology Are Different in Canada, per Brian Mottershead

I was fascinated to learn from Brian Mottershead that the laws of
physics and biology are different in Canada from those in the U.S.
More details, please!

He claimed that California and the western U.S. is a desert. This will
come as news to people who live there.

The fact that mountain biking (and trail construction) kills plants
doesn't eliminate the necessity to grow new ones. Killing also reduces
biodiversity. Actually, a study at your very own University of Guelph
in Ontario concluded that mountain biking does more harm to plants
than hiking (after 500 passes, which isn't much).

Brian also doesn't seem aware that insects are animals. If he has
never killed an animal while mountain biking, he can only have spent
most of the time in the air!

I wonder why mountain bikers have such a hard time telling the truth?!

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/Artic...spx?e=1086850:

Mountain Biking Damage ?
Posted By Brian Mottershead
Posted 1 day ago

It's unfortunate that you published the letter by Mike Vandeman since
his comments all relate to mountain biking in Marin County, California
or at least the western USA which is largely desert country and easily
impacted by overuse of any kind. If you have hiking trails and they
suddenly start to be used by mountain bikers, I can see where it might
be upsetting. This is the situation in much of the USA.

Locally we do not have any hiking trails so the trails have been made
by mountain bikers for that specific purpose but can also be used by
hikers and runners. Quite the reverse of the American situation.

As for impact on vegetation, it is hard enough to keep the trails from
growing over so I don't think that's a problem and to my knowledge no
animals have yet been run over!

Mountain biking locally may not teach young people much about nature,
although they will develop a healthy respect for mosquitos, black
flies and deer flies and - it's good exercise!

Mike Vandeman should reserve his comments for the country he knows
something about which is obviously not Ontario!

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande