See you on the "other side"...

Old July 3rd 03, 03:06 PM
Sorni

Default See you on the "other side"...

"Westie" wrote in message

"Sorni" wrote in message
.. .
...(sorta in a Frank Burns voice if you know the M*A*S*H episode)

Well, after 6+ weeks, the "Dell from Hell" has finally arrived (very

long
story). So, in a few minutes I'll be unplugging my trusty-but-buggy ol'

K62
that has served me pretty darned well for, what, 4 years at least,

right?
Then I get to set up the new system and try to actually stay connected

the world (and you blokes/blokettes

Of course, the gnarly dust bunnies may consume me before I even get to

plug
in anything; however, assuming I live I'll be back here within {???}

hours
and we'll see what's what.

Until then,

Bill "dreadful anticipation" S.

Funny, I just plugged a new Dell in day before yesterday. It took 14 days
to get here and they even managed to put the shipping address labels on,
correctly, upside down, for us Southern Hemisphere folk. The battle to

set
up the home network and transfer essential files has begun!

Well, I ordered on *MAY 18th*, and just got something yestreday. (Believe
me, VERY long story!)

Anyway, all seems to be working fine (love the 18" flat panel, even if it
proves I'm going blind); like you I have a challenge ahead getting things
"just so".

Bill "86'd the 'Saddle Sorni' (as well as S o r n i and S*O*R*N*I and Bill
Sornson and...)" S.

Old July 3rd 03, 03:14 PM
J'm Sm'th

Saddle Sorni wrote:

"Sorni" wrote in message
.. .
...(sorta in a Frank Burns voice if you know the M*A*S*H episode)

Well, after 6+ weeks, the "Dell from Hell" has finally arrived (very long
story). So, in a few minutes I'll be unplugging my trusty-but-buggy ol'

K62
that has served me pretty darned well for, what, 4 years at least, right?
Then I get to set up the new system and try to actually stay connected to
the world (and you blokes/blokettes

Of course, the gnarly dust bunnies may consume me before I even get to

plug
in anything; however, assuming I live I'll be back here within {???} hours
and we'll see what's what.

Until then,

Bill "dreadful anticipation" S.

Aaack! Well, here I am...6 hours later...much tweaking to do...

Bill "I hate change" S.

That's fine, I like change. Send me *all* your spare change.

--
J'm

To Reply Direct, Remove Clothes.
....-.-
Old July 3rd 03, 04:30 PM
MattB

"Technician" wrote in message
. ..
Westie spoke thusly...

snip

Note, DO NOT use the XP Internet Connection Sharing, it will take over
your network entirely.
--
~Travis

Unless, of course you have an XP machine that you want to share the Internet
from. It's not that bad, IMO. You just have to realize it has it's own DHCP
server built in, so you need to turn off any other DHCP server and let it
control the addressing scheme.

For the average home user (without a router) this is probably a good thing
because they don't usually want to mess with addressing, subnets, and that
kind of stuff.

It's a fine line between making stuff user friendly for the uninitiated
while still keeping the power users happy.

Matt

Old July 3rd 03, 09:23 PM
MattB

"Technician" wrote in message
. ..
MattB spoke thusly...
"Technician" wrote in message
. ..
Westie spoke thusly...

snip

Like i said, it takes over the network. I do run a DHCP server, and it's
settings are correct, where XP figures that all IP addresses other than
itself are free for the taking. several times when my computer would be
off, and she would turn hers on (hers is DHCP to be compatible with the
school network), it would take my IP address so when i turn mine on, i
get an address conflict. mine is static, as is my server, because there
are ports that are forwarded to them.
--
~Travis

http://www.megalink.net/~farmers/

But you are not the intended market. How many typical families who want to
easily share their Internet connection do you think will already have a DHCP
server? Probably not very many (yes, this is an arguable point). I think the
design of this product had two primary goals, one of which I agree with and
one I don't. You can configure your own gateway and addressing scheme,
therefore you don't need it. A lot of folks can't or don't want to learn
how, so I think it's a good solution for them.

The goals are to make it easy for the novice. Almost "plug n' play", which
is how consumer gear should work.

Now they did go and make it non-configurable, so you have to use their
scheme. This plays into goal #2 which is to force you to buy Win2k Server
(and/or other server products) if you already have an addressing scheme
and/or existing DHCP server and you want to share an Internet connection.
Usually that doesn't matter because if you already have all that you are
likely to have (or not mind getting) a router/firewall that will do NAT for
you and make connection available to the LAN.

Matt

Old July 4th 03, 03:40 AM
Westie

[...]

Exactly the point. Who cares how it works as long as it works? It's like
making you become a mechanic if you own a car. There are a lot people that
just want to drive, not worry about how it works. Why learn about something
that, quite simply, doesn't interest you?

Here is the solution, ICS only on the Home edition, and NAT for the Pro
edition.

The goals are to make it easy for the novice. Almost "plug n' play",

which
is how consumer gear should work.

Novice might not be the correct word. 'Normal user' might be a better way
of phrasing it. Why should anyone, even an experienced user, really have to
worry about their ports and addresses?
It should be like a SLR camera. A green 'idiot proof' programmed point 'n'
shoot button (plug 'n' play) and then other manual modes for the tech heads.
Usable yet flexible and powerful.

Yes, plug n' play, but not stupid. if they had a way to turn off the
DHCP server, i would not complain.

Now they did go and make it non-configurable, so you have to use their
scheme. This plays into goal #2 which is to force you to buy Win2k

Server
(and/or other server products) if you already have an addressing scheme
and/or existing DHCP server and you want to share an Internet

connection.
Usually that doesn't matter because if you already have all that you are
likely to have (or not mind getting) a router/firewall that will do NAT

for
you and make connection available to the LAN.

Matt

I have a linux router in the works for the entire network. i will no
doubt have dial-up on it, though i may be able to afford DSL by then.
--
~Travis

--
Westie

Old July 4th 03, 05:52 AM
Pete

"Technician" wrote

IMO, those who own a car should know the basics. how to change oil, how
to check oil, how to change air filter, how to change plugs, how to
check tire pressure and top off if needed, and how to change a tire.

To some, these may seem a bit much, to others, these may seem like not
enough.
Now, for computers, same goes. if you are going to have a network, you
better god damn well at least know how to set up the basics like an IP
address/subnet. and if you are setting up DHCP, know _how_ to set up
DHCP.

But that is just my opinion.

Change oil? Change plugs? That's a bit much for the average driver, Trav.
Get it wrong, and you've lunched the engine.

Changing the oil costs about $15 at Jiffoline. Doing it myself costs about
$7.
AND take care not to spill any on the driveway.
AND make sure you have all the parts/spplies before you start. (Oh
crap...this car needs a new crush washer every time you take out the drain
plug. Too bad all the oil is out, I can't go get a new one.)
AND I have to find somewhere to dispose of it.

Subnets? IP address? DHCP? Gobbldygook. I know how to do all of the above,
and you might....but most don't.
And they shouldn't need to.
For a simple sharing between home PC's, it *should* be simple. Hell...an
awful lot of people have never updated the stock antivirus def's that came
with the PC 2 years ago. Nor updated the OS. Why do you think we still get
scanned for old trojans?

I've seen far too many people that get lost past point and shoot. Some
people just *do not get it*. But those are the ones that buy stuff.

This is why Linux is not ready for prime time.

Pete
RTFM indeed

Old July 7th 03, 03:54 AM
Westie

Default OT: See you on the "other side"...

"Shaun Rimmer" wrote in message

Some people rambled:

snip!

Wow - how totally and utterly dull.

Shaun aRe

Exactly my point! Who WANTS to care about this stuff! LOL!
--
Westie

Old July 7th 03, 04:14 AM
Westie

[...]

I think that you overestimate the average user.
The basics to most people aren't DHCP and IPaddress/subnet.
These are the basics:
Basic #1: Check oil = 'Where's the 'ON' button?"
Basic #2: Change tyre= "How to install a new printer by following
instructions."
Basic #3: Change oil and plugs = "Install BBC digital camera driver from a
disk" (Yes, I know that its USB, but I have heard it referred to as BBC.)
Complicated #1:Anything with 'IP Address' in it = "Strip and recondition
carburettor."
Complicated #2: Anything with initials DHCP in it = "Recondition and rebore
engine and transmission."
--
Westie

Old July 7th 03, 04:21 AM
John Harlow

Now, for computers, same goes. if you are going to have a network, you
better god damn well at least know how to set up the basics like an IP
address/subnet. and if you are setting up DHCP, know _how_ to set up
DHCP.

You don't have to know how to set all that up. Just enable connection
sharing and be done with it. It takes about 1 minute to do, and requires no
propeller head stuff.