I love Usenet almost as much as I love bicycles.

Old April 6th 08, 04:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

Default I love Usenet almost as much as I love bicycles.

On Apr 5, 9:19 pm, Zoot Katz wrote:

Have any others found alternate outlets for their biking banter?

Yeah, I talk to no one in particular - myself? my alter ego(s)? -
while pedaling down the road :-)

I tried talking about bikes to actual people, but they couldn't care
less. They usually just go, "Uh-huh", or something like that, and
refer to my beater as a "nice bike".
Old April 6th 08, 05:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Zoot Katz

rec.bicycles.* will probably always remain my Usenet fix though
lately the groups have been lacking the activity they once saw. The
OT and x-posted crap sometimes outweighs the topical subjects.
Some names have changed, others disappeared in the eight years I've
been subscribed. I'll always do my best to point newcomers to the
wealth of information I've gathered here. A newsreader is my
preferred interface for online text.

Recently I've been invited to a social networking interface and been
spending more time on a local forum chewing the fat, expounding,
helping, arguing and quipping with fellow cyclists.

It doesn't make Usenet irrelevant but it opens doors to different
ways of linking with other cyclists.

http://www.meandmybicycle.com/ is sorta like a Facebook for
bicyclists. It's growing rapidly and it looks like it has potential
when more cyclists learn of it. It's based in the U.K. but has
posters from all over the world.

Have any others found alternate outlets for their biking banter?
--
zk
Old April 6th 08, 07:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Dan O

On Apr 5, 9:15 pm, still just me wrote:
On Sat, 5 Apr 2008 20:59:33 -0700 (PDT), Dan O
wrote:

I tried talking about bikes to actual people, but they couldn't care
less. They usually just go, "Uh-huh", or something like that, and
refer to my beater as a "nice bike".

Better than the "jersey boys" who think of my nice bike as a beater
(mostly because it was built before they found out that bikes
existed).

I think I can relate. I have four bikes. The newest one is 17 years
old (that's my beater, BTW ;-)
Old April 6th 08, 08:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Keats

In article ,
Dan O writes:
On Apr 5, 9:19 pm, Zoot Katz wrote:

Have any others found alternate outlets for their biking banter?

Yeah, I talk to no one in particular - myself? my alter ego(s)? -
while pedaling down the road :-)

I tried talking about bikes to actual people, but they couldn't care
less. They usually just go, "Uh-huh", or something like that, and
refer to my beater as a "nice bike".

Sometimes people ask me why I always have my right trouser
cuff rolled up.

Sometimes I tell 'em the truth, but mostly I give 'em
a bunch of jive.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old April 6th 08, 06:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Apr 6, 5:59*am, Dan O wrote:
On Apr 5, 9:19 pm, Zoot Katz wrote:

Have any others found alternate outlets for their biking banter?

Yeah, I talk to no one in particular - myself? *my alter ego(s)? -
while pedaling down the road :-)

Oh, that's you I'm talking with out on my rides?

Joseph