A new invention to gain a lomger power stroke. (Krankups)

Old June 2nd 16, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default A new invention to gain a lomger power stroke. (Krankups)

On Thursday, June 2, 2016 at 8:14:53 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 6/1/2016 6:16 PM, wrote:

TODAYS CLOUD....now after calling lighting, a downpour.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1Q...WNx28yMsXxeXmk

a very good day

early ride to the beach park met by our beach flock with a whistle conversation after a greeting flyby

finished painting 3 rims then soldering an unsoldered temp connection discovered 2+1 shorts were interrupting the electric window n lock controls...eyehehahahah. cool. ahhhhhh.

the 8100 Weller blew another 7135 tip. That tip dissolving behind the head on the top wire lasted 7-8 connections maybe 3.5 minutes as I religiously observed a half time out as per the instructions on ths piece of ****.

WTH is this gun for ?

The home birdy came up with 2 new communication whistles.

For freshly painted rims, do you recommend Kool Stop or the
original Campagnolo brake pads?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

patience, hot sun or infrared lamps.

with rusto....notoriuously slow drying..prob a month in a solar oven at 130-145 ? wal cardboard box with wal foil...simple L shape with the vertical bent in middle.

but I'll go with a week.

If you ask there would be an auto paint for rims. Rusto is not an auto paint.
Old June 2nd 16, 02:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 6/1/2016 6:16 PM, wrote:

[...]

rims came from the Barn (2) were rusty: gotta twi$ted wire wheel brush from M Carr. AAA.

use Tide paste on a flat surface but here used the HD/WAL rustsolver phosphoric acid with a HD industrial green pad n gloves for a final treatment. Let sit overnight or more then wash over with more rustsolver or thinner. I'm using thinner to get away from the moisture.

Rustsolver phosphates the imperfect....izza rim ....surface n preps metal clean n sqweekiy.

Rim is on 544 was perfect at 50 years. that was cool cutting the tire off n seeing an as new rim in there.

damn Mich ZX ...30 years old n just flipping fell apart while I was on the WCoast. The damn French tread fell off the belt. unbearable.

The Topo, I had one parked for me to see....has 15" wheels for 55R crosssections so we're saved. Frod also with Conti rain tires in 15"

Time.....look around n golly gee Wilma there's no tires for the 1914 Roadmaster !!!!

GGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

did I write this ? Published muh improved lighting system for the Frod Econoline in Ford truck enthusiasts forums.

The forum honored me with an intro video of Ford engineers coming out of the vaulted garage in white coats followed by a Iam told a Gurney look alike running around with a flashlight ....ehehayahhahha....

if you scan the Indy video...there are swells over in the parking lot point...including a Mercer. also check Harouns pit.
Old June 2nd 16, 02:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

Yup, I bought Michelin VR rated P185/80R13 for years but
they are no longer made (sigh)

Here's your 1914 tire, price is each not pair:

https://www.cokertire.com/firestone-...-1-4-inch.html

Old June 3rd 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Tue, 31 May 2016 09:16:40 -0700 (PDT), George Dukic
wrote:
Gentlemen and lady's
For the life of me I cannot find a way to have riders understand how
Krankups work.

That would be because they don't work. This is another in well over 100
years of these "inventions," none of which have worked despite hundreds
if not thousands of iterations on the theme.

And of course the power meter people haven't responded to you. They
aren't going to e-mail you trade secrets (not that they are hard to
figure out just by looking at the products and thinking about them).

If your invention does work, you'd be able to simply demonstrate it with
a hanging scale (like a fish scale) and a weight. Hook the scale to the
top run of the chain and the wall, with the wheel removed, and hang the
weight from the pedal when the crank is pointing forward, parallel to
the floor. That will give you a reading of the force transmitted to the
chain. You can compare that to standard cranks of varying lengths.
Old June 3rd 16, 04:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 9:16:42 AM UTC-7, George Dukic wrote:
Gentlemen and lady's
For the life of me I cannot find a way to have riders understand how Krankups work. I have a video on Kickstarter showing how my rotating pedal adaptors give you a longer power stroke making it easer to pedal. We have had many riders (700 miles total)try them out with all agreeing how well they work and wanting to buy them. Yet the viewers don't understand well enough to make a donation.
Most reply's came back asking for tech results with a power meter. Being an engineer I researched power meters. What I found surprised me. Power meters do not make it easer to pedal, they encourage you to pedal harder and faster, period. How they calculate watts from the strain gauge in the pedal is beyond me, I asked a few makers to explain this to me, no reply's. I also went to several bike shops with power meter bikes to challenge and test with and without Krankups, they all refused.
So here I am in a catch 22. I have a well engineered lasting product that is the first pedaling improvement in years and can't get riders to understand them. I am open and will answer all emails for your input and suggestions.

You cannot "gain power" or make it easier to pedal by extending the crank length beyond that of the leg length of the user.

I could find no picture of the device and hence could not analyze the device itself.

But you cannot improve power beyond pedaling circles.
Old June 3rd 16, 04:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, May 31, 2016 at 7:43:01 PM UTC-7, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Tue, 31 May 2016 09:16:40 -0700 (PDT), George Dukic
wrote:

Gentlemen and lady's

That would be "ladies".

For the life of me I cannot find a way to have riders understand
how Krankups work. I have a video on Kickstarter showing how my
rotating pedal adaptors give you a longer power stroke making it
easer to pedal.

Kickstarter page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1790594728/krankups-a-new-bicycle-technology
Web page:
http://krankups.com
Patents:
https://www.google.com/search?tbm=pts&hl=en&q=George+Dukic

The video shows how the device is installed and nothing more. My
favored method of determining if an idea or product is bogus is by the
lack of technical details and numbers. If you're wondering why riders
fail to understand how Krankups work, perhaps you could help by
explaining how they work using kinematics diagrams, torque, hp, work,
force, energy calculations, and dynamometer test results.

Nothing more needs to be shown. These will in fact reduce the power output since they shorten the lever at the top and the bottom of the crank circle requiring you to increase your power input to retain the same power to the rear wheel.

In this regard they are like oval chain rings which were also a failure as people discovered that they do not work.

Nothing can improve on having the proper length of crank arm and pedaling circles.
Old June 3rd 16, 04:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, June 1, 2016 at 2:39:58 AM UTC-7, sms wrote:
On 5/31/2016 7:43 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Being an engineer I researched power meters. What I found surprised me.
Power meters do not make it easer to pedal, they encourage you to
pedal harder and faster, period.

Well, yes... that's the general idea behind a trainer and associated
instrumentation. You can adjust your efforts to maximize the
delivered power as in "saving your strength".

His diatribe on power meters was very strange. Power meters are a
measurement devices, but he changes the subject and proclaims that they
don't make it easier to pedal. Duh.

If the device is designed to even out the power throughout the rotation
of the cranks, like Biopace oval chainrings were designed to do, then it
might have some small value.

You could also measure the relative power output using a set of rollers
with a dynamo wheel on the front. The difficult part is designing a
machine that pedals the bike with the same power input on the test runs.

Can you think of any advantage to "evening out the power input" of the biopace chainrings? When I tried them I found that the lack of a "rest" period made your legs much more tired.
Old June 3rd 16, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 6/3/2016 11:50 AM, wrote:

Can you think of any advantage to "evening out the power input" of the biopace chainrings? When I tried them I found that the lack of a "rest" period made your legs much more tired.

While I never used them beyond a few test rides, I have a friend who
claims that Biopace rings were much easier on his troublesome knees. He
still scrounges for them when he needs replacement.

IIRC, the rationale for the design was much more complicated then just
evening out the power stroke. I think they were based on recovering a
bit of the mechanical inertia of the cyclist's leg mass, plus allowing a
little bit more time for the transition from knee extension to knee
contraction. (I probably have the technical article on file somewhere.)

But in my brief trials, they didn't seem to do anything for me anyway.

I've wondered about this, though. Looking at the human leg as a
mechanical linkage, with its complexity of motion, it would seem like an
amazing coincidence if a circular pedal motion and a circular chainring
are the absolute best way of transmitting power.

(But I think that Krankups are useless. They look like they'd do less
than nothing.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old June 10th 16, 06:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, June 3, 2016 at 10:49:34 AM UTC-7, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 6/3/2016 11:50 AM, wrote:

[...]

When I tried using biopace rings they hurt my knees. So I guess it's horses for courses.

Shock stroke David Deitch Techniques 0 December 20th 05 12:12 AM
A stroke of luck Dave B UK 4 September 23rd 05 06:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Racing 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Marketplace 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM
Western Power Power House Rd who is a Janitor at the Muja Power Station in Australia. why is Marty Wallace m...@geo.­net.au calling people and post­ing at 3:05am Marty Wallace J­an 29, 3:05 am because he can'­t do it with the hooker that y­ou hear in [email protected] Australia 1 January 30th 05 08:30 PM