how many used but still pretty round non-aero rims are discarded?

Old June 10th 16, 05:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Rob

Default how many used but still pretty round non-aero rims are discarded?

On Friday, June 10, 2016 at 11:46:20 AM UTC-5, Rob wrote:
On Thursday, June 9, 2016 at 9:52:26 PM UTC-5, wrote:
27" tires were made in one batch then sold out of warehouses: 1975-1990 ?

ask the LBS....

https://www.google.com/maps/search/b.../data=!3m1!4b1

Thank you!

Rob

OK, I'm having trouble figuring out how to reply to each message so...thank you very much to all who replied, especially the person who pointed me to the Chinese rim manufacturing webpage (I cannot find the message now! I think the old days with a newsreader worked better than the Web version but oh well...

Discussion...closed.

Best regards,

Rob
Old June 11th 16, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 10 Jun 2016 09:49:27 -0700 (PDT), jbeattie
wrote:

OT THREAD HIJACK ALERT (with apologies to Sir):

Sigh. Well, your timing is good. I just blew up my office Linux
desktop, and my home Win 7 machine is acting strangely. I need a
diversion.

So Jeff, I have a FM tuner/reception question. I have a little
Pro-Ject Tuner Box:
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-115288-...ner-box-s.aspx

$200 Euros list price. Ouch.
Data sheets from Austria:
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=tunerboxs&cat=source&lang=en
http://www.box-designs.com/inhalt/en/pdf/tunerboxs.pdf

It has a Belling-Lee (PAL) plug on the back, and I use an F adapter.
http://www.showmecables.com/product/...e-Adapter.aspx

The specifications say that the tuner uses a "DIN plug".
Page 2:
Antenna input
Connects any antenna cable with a coaxial DIN-plug / US model F-plug.
So, you must have a European model that was smuggled into the USA by
nefarious means. Unfortunately, the authorities do not offer rewards
for such offenses, so I'll pretend to ignore the problem for now.

Attaching ANY coax (whether or not connected to an antenna) via
the F adapter adds a ton of hiss.

That's totally wrong. Unfortunately, I can't even guess what might be
the problem. Offhand, I would guess(tm) that the tuner front end (RF
amplifier) is sick in some manner. However, without my pile of test
equipment, I can't be sure. Even if it were true, there's not much
you can do about it other than have someone with repair experience
take a look at it. In other words, I have no idea what is happening.

Well, one thing you can check. With a voltmeter, make sure that the
9V power supply is actually delivering 9VDC. The actual voltage isn't
terribly critical. +/-10% or 15% is probably acceptable. However, if
it's ridiculously low, that might be the cause of the oddity. If
possible, measure it with the rated load (300ma or a 30 ohm resistor
load).

It sounds better with no antenna
at all (although the signal is very weak) -- or the adapter plug
is used with just a piece of bare copper wire sticking out the
back. If I hook it up to my house antenna (I'm old school, no
Comcast -- and the transmission tower is within five miles),
it super-noisy. My antenna is in the attic and has UHF and VHF
elements. It is not grounded.

Is there some weird shielding issue?

Unlikely, unless the connector, adapter coax, or antenna are shorted
between the center pin and ground. If you have a handy ohmmeter, just
check the connectors for such a short.

I terminated the coax with a standard F plug and believe that I
did it right. The same sorts of terminations are working with my TV.
I don't see any obvious problems with the F to Belling-Lee adapter.

There is nothing weird about the "DIN" connector. An F adapter should
work without any drama:
http://www.box-designs.com/inhalt/bilder/tunerboxs_2.jpg

Good luck.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D

Aero rims and spoke count [email protected] Techniques 52 December 10th 06 09:29 PM
FT Fir Aero Rims [email protected] Marketplace 1 February 16th 06 12:39 AM
FA: Araya Aero-1 WC rims, Pair 36h NOS Gemma_k Marketplace 0 May 3rd 05 01:10 AM
semi aero 700c rims andy Techniques 4 June 25th 04 01:32 PM
FS: NOS Mavic CXP30 Aero Rims Al Van Varick Marketplace 5 November 4th 03 11:38 PM