Torque wrenches

Old April 6th 04, 08:05 PM
Paul Davis

Default Torque wrenches

I'm a keen cyclist but very much the beginner in terms of maintainence. I'm
keen to start learning though and am beginning to collect together various
tools. I already have a fairly cheap Draper torque wrench with a range of
20-80Nm which should make it usable for crank arms (40-50Nm) although
apparently cheap torque wrenches go out of calibration quickly and are
inaccurate towards the ends of their range. Another problem with it is that
it will only measure torque on right hand threads which isn't very helpful
for bottom brackets.

How essential are torque wrenches for home maintainence and what sort of
damage can one do without one? I understand that having the correct torque
for crank arms is pretty important.

Could anyone recommend a good torque wrench for a beginner (the local bike
shop has warned me off of beam type torque wrenches)?

I apologise if this is a basic question but as I say, I'm new the the
mechanics side of cycling and therefore lacking somewhat in the confidence
department.

Thanks for any thoughts,
With Kind Regards,
Paul.

Old April 6th 04, 08:45 PM
Harris

Paul Davis wrote:
Another problem with it is that
it will only measure torque on right hand threads which isn't very helpful
for bottom brackets.

That's ok for Italian thread BBs.

How essential are torque wrenches for home maintainence and what sort of
damage can one do without one? I understand that having the correct torque
for crank arms is pretty important.

You're more likely to under-torque a crank bolt than over-torque it
without a torqge wrench.

Could anyone recommend a good torque wrench for a beginner (the local bike
shop has warned me off of beam type torque wrenches)?

Why is that? Sears sells a beam type for around $20 that covers 0-75
ft-lb. That would be fine for crank arms and cassette locknuts.

http://tinyurl.com/2wz8l

Art Harris

Old April 6th 04, 08:51 PM
jeffbonny

So "Paul Davis" says:

I apologise if this is a basic question but as I say, I'm new to the
mechanics side of cycling and therefore lacking somewhat in the confidence
department.

If you can accurately estimate how much weight you are lifting at any
given time you can learn to accurately apply torque. If you're a
chronic wimp or strongarm gorilla maybe a torque wrench is an idea but
most mechanics I know don't use one very often. Understanding what a
foot pound is and the dynamics of how threads engage is helpful.

jeffb
Old April 7th 04, 02:23 AM
(Pete Cresswell)

RE/
How essential are torque wrenches for home maintainence and what sort of
damage can one do without one? I understand that having the correct torque
for crank arms is pretty important.

I'd say it has something to do with the sensitivities of the worker.

I'm like Magilla The Gorilla without a torque wrench. In fact I bought one
after frying a number of fittings/screws. To me, the most needful are those
little alu screws/sleevs that hold the chainrings in place.

Now that I have a couple of them, I wouldn't tighten many bolts without one.

Others have probably worked day-in-and-day-out for years without ever needing
one.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 7th 04, 02:36 AM
Ed

In article , Paul Davis says...

Could anyone recommend a good torque wrench for a beginner (the local bike
shop has warned me off of beam type torque wrenches)?

Beam torque wrenches work just fine, do not go out of calibration,
measure both left and right handed torque and are cheap. When
used on cars sometime the nut or bolt is in a position that makes
it impossible to read the scale. Doesn't happen on bikes.

--
Ed

Old April 7th 04, 03:40 AM
Bruce Graham

In article ,
says...
[...]

The experts at the LBS rarely if ever use a torque wrench because they
have calibrated hands. They know what torque to apply to each size and
type of fastener from years of experience. Myself, I don't have that
experience so I use a torque wrench on any critical fastener (especially
aluminium threads).

Bruce Graham
Old April 7th 04, 04:13 AM
VCopelan

"Paul Davis" Writes:

I'm a keen cyclist but very much the beginner in terms of maintainence. I'm
keen to start learning though and am beginning to collect together various
tools. I already have a fairly cheap Draper torque wrench with a range of
20-80Nm which should make it usable for crank arms (40-50Nm) although
apparently cheap torque wrenches go out of calibration quickly and are
inaccurate towards the ends of their range. Another problem with it is that
it will only measure torque on right hand threads which isn't very helpful
for bottom brackets.

How essential are torque wrenches for home maintainence and what sort of
damage can one do without one? I understand that having the correct torque
for crank arms is pretty important.

Could anyone recommend a good torque wrench for a beginner (the local bike
shop has warned me off of beam type torque wrenches)?

There is nothing wrong with a beam type torque wrench as long as it has a pivot
in it's handle. Why has your local bike shop warned you off a beam wrench?
Any beam type torque wrench will work with either left or right hand threaded
fasteners and they don't need much in the way of recalibration..

However, my personal favorite type of torque wrench are the Snap On
Torqometers. These have a dial readout, 1% to 2% accuracy down to 20% of their
range. They can easily be recalibrated. They are expensive from Snap On but
you can find them new or nearly new on ebay for very good prices ($35 - $65).
A 0 to 600 inch pound wrench will cover many applications. And a 0 to 150 inch
pound wrench is great for those low torque applications like the newer Campy
Record hubs.
Old April 7th 04, 04:14 AM
Q.

"Harris" wrote in message
snip
Could anyone recommend a good torque wrench for a beginner (the local

bike
shop has warned me off of beam type torque wrenches)?

Why is that? Sears sells a beam type for around $20 that covers 0-75
ft-lb. That would be fine for crank arms and cassette locknuts.

http://tinyurl.com/2wz8l

I've rebuilt V8 engines with a Sears Craftsman's torque wrench and have used
it for many other things as well. They work just fine. All the engines
have outlasted the cars BTW (c:

C.Q.C.

Old April 7th 04, 04:33 AM
Ken

Ed wrote in :
Could anyone recommend a good torque wrench for a beginner (the local bike
shop has warned me off of beam type torque wrenches)?

Beam torque wrenches work just fine, do not go out of calibration,
measure both left and right handed torque and are cheap. When
used on cars sometime the nut or bolt is in a position that makes
it impossible to read the scale. Doesn't happen on bikes.

Beam torque wrenches are $20 at Sears. They are perhaps not as accurate as
the clicker type, but they are fine for bikes.

klein palomino torque settings jack wallen Off Road 0 May 12th 04 02:25 AM
Park Torque wrench. and NM's Neacalban1 Techniques 1 January 4th 04 12:21 PM
Park Tool Hex wrenches Derk Techniques 6 January 2nd 04 03:02 PM
Recommended torque wrenches? Kovie Techniques 8 November 1st 03 07:47 PM
Shimano Octalink BB Getronic Engineer Techniques 6 September 7th 03 11:22 AM